Do you prefer physical or digital books?

Do you prefer Ebooks or physical books?

• Ebook

Votes: 17 44.7%
  • Physical

Votes: 21 55.3%

• Total voters
As a librarian, it honestly doesn't matter to me. I can read just as fast with either one, both are fairly compact reading devices. I do note however that my library fits much easier on my Ipad then on my shelf and I can transfer my digital .epub files from my PC to my Ipad to my work computer with much greater ease.

Actually I've been getting attached to the Third Option. Audiobooks.

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
I definitely prefer kindls. I put off getting a kindle because I loved the feel and smell of physical books. I used to get peeved when authors didn't have physical books. (Now that's reversed). I loved the tradition associated with physical books..

I finally gave in and got a kindle Paperwhite because of the weight factor and I believed in a few years physical books would be gone so might as well get the pain over quickly. The anticipation was killing me.

I absolutely LOVE my kindle. I can carry my library with me, more durable and lighter. I already got my $119 back and more in book savings (some ridiculously great like...are you kidding me... The first seven Dresden books for two bucks each and the Swans War trio for 3 bucks total). I also chose 25 free classics. I love the ads too. Keeping them saved me $20. They are more interesting to look at than century dead authors and I'm exposed to great books at huge savings.

Like others mentioned the maps are horrible or nonexistent and I really miss colorful covers. Also I still prefer physical books for books I reference very often.

ad233

Possibly a Darkfriend
I still own loads of physical books, but since my Kindle, I love it! Especially when you go on holiday, as I used to go over the weight limit every time because of too many books in my suitcase, now I can download loads without worrying about that, and pack more clothes!

I have to say I've never been approached about my Kindle though... And I will still buy my favourite books as a physical copy (for example: Terry Pratchett)

I also like being able to buy books in other languages more easily.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
I prefer physical books but buy Ebooks simply because of storage and practicability. I find opening a fresh book amazing which is a feeling you can't get on an Ebook and turning pages!. I also like to refer back to certain parts or references in books which in Ebooks is not as simple as printed books.

I grew up in the age where there wasn't an option, but now I tend to read everything on my computer simply because that's the way they are formatted and I'm too cheap to print them out.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I'm not going to lie, at first I was a diehard physical copy kind of guy...But I'm now starting to think I thought that way because I love the look of my books on my bookshelf and in my hands. :p (I always did judge books by their covers.) When it comes to the act of reading itself though; I feel I can go either way.

Boreas

Staff member
Someone's mentioned that they like audiobooks. Are there any people here who regularly listen to audiobooks? I've thought of trying one out to see how it is, but I can't see the appeal at the moment. Is it really that much fun? They seem to average 10-12 hours of listening time. I don't know when I'd have the time to listen.

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
I find that reading physical books is much more stimulating to the senses, you get the feel, smell and look of a real book, not a digital copy. Our world is so full of technology and distractions, that I find reading physical books refreshing. When you're reading a book, there's no danger of annoying notifications popping up everywhere.

guilty_as_charged

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
there's no danger of annoying notifications popping up everywhere.
Never in my life has a notification popped while I'm reading on my kindle. I've been using kindles since 2011.

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
Never in my life has a notification popped while I'm reading on my kindle. I've been using kindles since 2011.
I was just about to write the same thing before I saw your post :-|

Someone's mentioned that they like audiobooks. Are there any people here who regularly listen to audiobooks? I've thought of trying one out to see how it is, but I can't see the appeal at the moment. Is it really that much fun? They seem to average 10-12 hours of listening time. I don't know when I'd have the time to listen.
I personally don't listen to audio books very much, but my wife listens to the in the car driving to and from work or as she is going to meetings. She loves them and gets most of them from the library on CD.

guilty_as_charged

A farm boy with a sword
I personally don't listen to audio books very much, but my wife listens to the in the car driving to and from work or as she is going to meetings. She loves them and gets most of them from the library on CD.
I don't listen to them as much anymore, but I can recall them being very comforting when I was young and couldn't sleep.

guilty_as_charged

BobDaNob

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
Physical! 100% no question. The only thing I would use eBooks for would be textbooks, encyclopedias and a dictionary.

I like the weight, the smell, the feel of the paper. I like the visceral feel of holding a book and the turning of pages. I like that percussive >THUMP< that resonates from a hardcover when you grab it just right. I like having a library, not an archive. No batteries, no screen to break - we rely FAR too much on technology as it is. When I pick up a book, I'm escaping all that into a simple time with simple ideals. It's nice to unplug from this ever-connected world to bring a bit of needed clarity in one's life.

Most of all, I love the example I set for my kids when dad is sitting on the couch reading a book.

sopranosfan

Physical! 100% no question. The only thing I would use eBooks for would be textbooks, encyclopedias and a dictionary.

I like the weight, the smell, the feel of the paper. I like the visceral feel of holding a book and the turning of pages. I like that percussive >THUMP< that resonates from a hardcover when you grab it just right. I like having a library, not an archive. No batteries, no screen to break - we rely FAR too much on technology as it is. When I pick up a book, I'm escaping all that into a simple time with simple ideals. It's nice to unplug from this ever-connected world to bring a bit of needed clarity in one's life.

Most of all, I love the example I set for my kids when dad is sitting on the couch reading a book.
My son is 3 and sleeps in the bed with me and my wife. I both love and hate when he leans over and starts playing the "what letter is that" game. I love it more when he plays it with my wife's books.:angelic:

Derk of Derkholm

I also thought that the experience of reading a physical book can not be surpassed ... you smell the paper, you feel the spine, you fondle the binder, it just all adds up to the experience of reading.

Then, when I was standing at Taipei airport one evening, preparing for the flight back to Germany, and my sons announced that they would want to use the iPad and iPod, respectively, I thought - no problem - bookstore is just around the corner. Turned out that they had 7 books in English language, 3 of which I had already read. That was the first time when I really wondered how wonderful it would be to open your e-reader, connect to the bookstore, and download one of thousands of books in a few moments.

After that, I got my first Kindle, and found out that I am first and foremost a reader, and only secondly a paper-sniffer, spine-feeler and binder-fondler. And for reading, IMO the Kindle is unsurpassed. Whenever you have 5 minutes of quiet, you can open it (exactly at the page where you left off), or select one of the dozens of books that you can have on your device. Perfect.

I started with the Kindle "Keyboard", then got the LCD-screen Kindle Fire for reading at nighttime or in European Winter conditions, and since then have had an assortment of "Basic" Kindles, Kindle Paperwhites and similar. When I buy a book on Amazon, I get a list of about 15 devices (both physical devices and reading apps on iPads, PCs and whatnot) utilized by myself and members of my extended family. Not only myself, but many others that I know have become fans of the technology.

Another huge advantage is the availability of free samples. Whenever I want to read a new book, I first download the free sample and read that. In many cases, this free sample has either proven to be not up to my expectations or standards or simply did not "grip" me enough to warrant buying the full book.

Best regards,
Andy

wakarimasen

I love paper based books. One thing about joining this site was how it encouraged me to pick them up after a long time of using digital sources. I was surprised at how much I had missed them. I'm less attached to them that I was. Once you have 5 boxes rotting away in the loft you start to think "maybe it isn't a holy crime to throw a book away". At some point soon I'm going to start giving some away to charity shops or selling a few off. I thought I might even stick them on ebay and ask people just to cover the postage.
Anyone here want Dresden 1-11 (mostly Brit minimalist covers) for the price of the postage? (And maybe a million credits - they've got to be good for something right?)
The convenience of ebooks or audiobooks is fantastic and I'd rather use them than not have a story to engage in. But nothing's going to beat that ideal image of a chesterfield armchair in front of a log fire, a single malt and a good book.

Derk of Derkholm

It is ALWAYS a holy crime to throw a book away!!!

I have donated a lot of my paper based books to local libraries when I moved from Europe to Asia.

Best regards,
Andy

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I got my first Kindle, and found out that I am first and foremost a reader, and only secondly a paper-sniffer, spine-feeler and binder-fondler.
Lol, those are the best descriptions I have read in a while :hilarious:

I started with the Kindle "Keyboard",
I started with that one too. I got it as a birthday present, it still works :)
But then, 2 birthdays later I got Paperwhite 2 as another birthday present :D
I would read on Kindle Keyboard every now and then, but I just can part with the lighted screen for some reason :arghh: