Do you prefer physical or digital books?

Discussion in 'Fiction (General)' started by sopranosfan, Jun 30, 2014.

?

Do you prefer Ebooks or physical books?

1. Ebook

17 vote(s)
    44.7%
  2. Physical

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
  1. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

So this happened to me this morning ....

... I was reading my kids' paper copy of "Artemis Fowl"

... and noticed that I was holding the book with my left hand, and tapping the right margin of the page with my right index finger repeatedly, ...

... before realizing that I would likely have to turn the page the old-fashioned way :wacky:

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Physical. By a country mile.

3. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Ebook. By an urban furlong.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. Derk of Derkholm

Derk of Derkholm Journeyed there and back again

I can also say that my Kindle is definitely much easier to read during my morning workout on the treadmill than a paper book where the pages will not stay flat when you open the page .... basically I needed a hand to keep the book open in the place where I was reading.

5. Trendsetter

Trendsetter A Muggle

Physical, hands down. I like that feeling when you flip the pages and also like the smell whether it's new or old it add to the experience reading the book.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

Ebook all the way. The only time I want a physical book these days if it's super fancy and bound for the coffee table to impress guests, or if I'm headed to the beach.

This goes double for cookbooks, and I'm all sorts of bummed out that my favorite website that just put out a cookbook only has it in physical format. My kindle I can wipe off if I splash something on it whilst I use it to cook. Not so much with paper pages.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

I think I’m whimsical. I bought 90% of my books digitally during the last couple of years. However, I was given a physical copy six months ago and right now (almost unwittingly) I’m firstly checking prices for physical copies and reverting to them. It is always charming finding among pages the evidences of crumbs, sand or the left overs of a dead mosquito that encapsulates the time you spent reading a particular book…

8. Matticus Primal

Matticus Primal Knows Who John Uskglass Is

I think that may be the most positive view of finding random stuff in your things I've ever heard. It reminds me a bit of that Los Campesinos' line "...towards the secondhand book shop employees/ Reading inscriptions that were never meant for their eyes."

I will say I do enjoy finding those types of handwritten dedications in used books and knowing that it had a life before me. Someone cared for this book once, yet the person it was given to gave it up.

9. Elvira

Elvira Became a Faceless Man

Whereas handwritten dedications can be considered emotive treasures, the other "stuff" comes handy to my potions...:)

10. Theophania

Theophania A Poet of the Khaiem

Me too. I don't buy paper fiction - at all. I'm old enough and cynical enough that there is no book I want to read so much than I am willing to buy a paper copy. We don't have a coffee table, and if I want to go to the beach, I take my waterproof, soundproof Kobo Aura H2O. :)

I like to be able to carry as many books as I want in my pocket; I like to be able to read with the light off without disturbing my husband (or having to go all the way over to the other side of the room to switch the light on); I like the lightness of my book readers, and how easy it is to read and eat at the same time.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Placida

Placida Owns a Ring of Power

I think I prefer e-books although I do still read more hard copies than electronic ones. I like not having to worry about the book markers falling out and I like being able to adjust the font size when my eyes get tired. I think my favorite part of the ebook is being able to select a word and seeing the definition. I used to carry around a small dictionary with me sometimes when reading hard copies. I am a big fan of expanding my vocabulary (even though I'll probably forget the word tomorrow).

That being said, I cannot pass by a garage/yard sale or a second hand book store without checking it out and then purchasing "a bargain." So I have a huge surplus of hard copy books in my home that I need to read through. That's why I read more hard copy than e-copy. Oh, and now, I use my Kindle Oxford Dictionary to reference when I find a word of questionable definition in my hard copy reading. :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I used to prefer paper books, but now I changed my mind.
    I can't carry 1000 paper books with me wherever I go, but I can do so with ebooks.

13. P Dee

P Dee Possibly a Darkfriend

For the tactile experience, then paper, and the smell of old bookshops and libraries...

But for practicality, I like my e-reader. I can finish one book and move straight on to another when I'm at work (reading only in my breaks, of course!), and take a mini library away with me on holiday. I can also read in bed without the light on.

So, for the best of both worlds, I use my Kobo, but buy physical copies of a few favourites. Not many, though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Andy Kroll

Andy Kroll A Muggle

If it's some sort of art book or limited edition, or I'm just a really big fan, it's paper all the way. Otherwise, it just tends to take up space and be heavy