Do you read more than one book at a time?

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I can't seem to do it. I know of several people who can juggle 3 books all at once. For me, its impossible. What about you guys?

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
I usually try to have at least two. I don't have any trouble with it. If one of them is disproportionately better than the other, however, it has a tendency to become just one anyway.

Antoxx

Can do fiction and non-fiction at same time but tend not to have 2 fantasies on the go at the same time unless I've taken a break completely from one (which also is very rare for me).

João Ribeiro

I only read one book at a time. If I'm enjoying the book I go all out obsessive with finishing it so no distractions allowed. If a book isn't captivating me enough that I want to red another book then I really won't finish it.

Arya Stark

^^^same here! I usually end up being totally caught up in the world (even think about books/characters when not reading if its that good) that I don't want to think about any other plus until I finish. If the book doesn't have my attention I usually just don't finish or skim through until I get the majority of the ready of the plot and begin another book.

Hand of Fear

I only read one book at a time, things will just get confusing for me if I started reading two and I like to give a book my full attention.

Lev Daert

I always read just one book at a time, as slow as it goes, always just one.
I do read short stories sometimes in between though.

epicfantasyfreak

I generally just read one novel at a time, one series at a time, from beginning to end. I do have Wheel of Time indefinitely open, but that's more or less just me being stubborn and refusing to drop the series though I hate every second I spend reading it - at this point, I must read the ending is all. I've never tried any other way, and see no point in doing it any other way, so can't say how juggling several books would be.

With that I often have some sort of non-fiction book going too, usually something historical, but sometimes covering a topic on some other science.

I'll generally read a bunch of standalones or duologies/trilogies in between long series like Black Company, Malazan, Thomas Covenant, etc.

Obscenic

Told lies with Locke
Can do fiction and non-fiction at same time but tend not to have 2 fantasies on the go at the same time unless I've taken a break completely from one (which also is very rare for me).

Same for me. One fiction, one non-fiction. I never could juggle more than one fiction book. Even if I break from non-fiction, I still can't.

Sherwood Smith

A farm boy with a sword
I usually have more than one book on the go. I work as a tutor so have to read lots of classics - novels and plays so usually have one of those I'm reading for 'work' plus at least one other for 'pleasure'. I have been known to have three being read at the same time but I agree that if one becomes very absorbing that tends to take over. Perhaps because I have three jobs, if you count the writing as a job, I tend to compartmentalise my life somewhat!
How do people feel about skipping parts of books? I find this virtually impossible - if it's boring I just try to read it very fast. I also can't not finish a book. Sometimes that means if it has been put to one aside for a while I have to start it again. My excuse is that studying literature meant I had to read a lot of books that I didn't always much like or enjoy.
Can you have a literary form of OCD?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
How do people feel about skipping parts of books? I find this virtually impossible - if it's boring I just try to read it very fast.
I never skip parts of books. Except poetry. (I hate poetry.) And equations (in textbooks, which, thankfully, I don't have to read any longer).

Antoxx

I usually have more than one book on the go. I work as a tutor so have to read lots of classics - novels and plays so usually have one of those I'm reading for 'work' plus at least one other for 'pleasure'. I have been known to have three being read at the same time but I agree that if one becomes very absorbing that tends to take over. Perhaps because I have three jobs, if you count the writing as a job, I tend to compartmentalise my life somewhat!
How do people feel about skipping parts of books? I find this virtually impossible - if it's boring I just try to read it very fast. I also can't not finish a book. Sometimes that means if it has been put to one aside for a while I have to start it again. My excuse is that studying literature meant I had to read a lot of books that I didn't always much like or enjoy.
Likewise, can't skip books but have been known on one ot two occasions only to skim read a book I wasn't enjoying.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I can. It depends. I just finished A Cavern of Black Ice, and I'm also about to finish Hyperion, but I'm halfway through Kraken by China Mieville and intend to finish it, and I'm most of the way through The Black Company, and have been for many months. I intend to finish that one, too. (That book's weird--I like it, but don't feel any need or desire to read it. It's also remarkable easy for me to pick it back up and remember what was going on after not reading it for like three months.)

I also started re-reading The First Law.

epicfantasyfreak

I've skipped in the past, but I don't like to do it. I mean the book has to be really horribly unbearable for me to do that. I usually first try reading it really fast. If that doesn't work, I start skim reading. If that also fails, then I just start skipping stuff to reach the end. I can't not finish a book/series, I've got that OCD too.

With book 10 of Robert Jordan's WoT, for example, I got to the point where I only read the dialogue (wish I'd thought to do that much, much sooner - say, book 5), and don't feel like I'm missing out on anything, with the very, very occasional need to back up and read a non-dialogue paragraph or two, though I'm just going to have to take a hiatus from the series because I simply can't stand to move forward any longer - get back to it in another couple of years. With Guy Kay's Sarantium on the other hand, I was bored the entire time and couldn't stop critiquing the book as I read, just totally tearing apart everything Kay did there, but the only thing I had to skip were the chapters on chariot racing - pointlessness I couldn't tolerate there, luckily there were only two or three such chapters. Gene Wolfe's Wizard Knight made me want to drill holes into my skull because it seemed like a better idea than continuing to read that duology, but I did finish it through sheer speed, not skipping a single part, only because one cannot skip anything there - one paragraph the main character might be washing dishes in one world, then the next paragraph fighting a dragon in another world, so it's impossible to skip around those mad ramblings of a syphilitic brain contained within if you want to have any hope of following the continuous stream of random events that transpire.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I try to read one book at a time, but it becomes difficult considering I've purchased so many books I have yet to read. So I typically end up juggling around three books of different types and/or genres at any given time.

I never skip parts of books. Except poetry. (I hate poetry.) And equations (in textbooks, which, thankfully, I don't have to read any longer).
o_O Does this apply to... all forms of poetry? Some of the best fiction (And fantasy) I've ever read was in poetic form. The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Paradise Lost, Beowulf, Icelander Sagas, and Arthurian Legends. I even want to get into Japanese folklore, which is big on Clan Ninja/Samurai Wars, Geishas, and- of course, dragon slayers. (What else?)

Even besides Epic Poetry, there's some really good stuff out there. Particularly from the western fronts of World War One. It's so interesting because, up until that point; War, Nationalism, Imperialism- these were all viewed as glorious and idolized by a majority of the Western populations. However, World War One was a huge wake up call- and war would never, ever be viewed in quite the same light ever again. (Just think- WW1 was dubbed "The War to End All Wars." I'm sure you can imagine how high expectations were versus the very grim reality most soldiers suffered.)

Now, before jump up and say WW2- keep in mind WW2 was fought among ruthless dictators, not monarchies, and was very much what we define as a modern conflict. Germans didn't pour into countries across Europe with thinking they'd be servicing their monarchy and proving once and for all that Germany was the best Imperial power- No. They poured into countries all around Europe with the ideology of Hitler's Aryan Race. As I'm sure we all know- Germany exterminated 12 million of their own citizens, but that doesn't do the Nazis justice- They also killed roughly 30 million Russians and employed every dirty trick of warfare (Like targeting Civilians with your entire airforce rather than military targets? Yeah, sounds about right.) in the book. Ditto for the Japanese- probably even to a greater extent then the Germans. There was no Christmas truces here.

Anyways, there's some good stuff out there. Don't give up on it! Some of it will seriously haunt you given the right circumstances.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I try to read one book at a time, but it becomes difficult considering I've purchased so many books I have yet to read. So I typically end up juggling around three books of different types and/or genres at any given time.

o_O Does this apply to... all forms of poetry? Some of the best fiction (And fantasy) I've ever read was in poetic form. The Iliad, The Odyssey, The Aeneid, Paradise Lost, Beowulf, Icelander Sagas, and Arthurian Legends. I even want to get into Japanese folklore, which is big on Clan Ninja/Samurai Wars, Geishas, and- of course, dragon slayers. (What else?)

Even besides Epic Poetry, there's some really good stuff out there. Particularly from the western fronts of World War One. It's so interesting because, up until that point; War, Nationalism, Imperialism- these were all viewed as glorious and idolized by a majority of the Western populations. However, World War One was a huge wake up call- and war would never, ever be viewed in quite the same light ever again. (Just think- WW1 was dubbed "The War to End All Wars." I'm sure you can imagine how high expectations were versus the very grim reality most soldiers suffered.)

Now, before jump up and say WW2- keep in mind WW2 was fought among ruthless dictators, not monarchies, and was very much what we define as a modern conflict. Germans didn't pour into countries across Europe with thinking they'd be servicing their monarchy and proving once and for all that Germany was the best Imperial power- No. They poured into countries all around Europe with the ideology of Hitler's Aryan Race. As I'm sure we all know- Germany exterminated 12 million of their own citizens, but that doesn't do the Nazis justice- They also killed roughly 30 million Russians and employed every dirty trick of warfare (Like targeting Civilians with your entire airforce rather than military targets? Yeah, sounds about right.) in the book. Ditto for the Japanese- probably even to a greater extent then the Germans. There was no Christmas truces here.

Anyways, there's some good stuff out there. Don't give up on it! Some of it will seriously haunt you given the right circumstances.
I really can't stand poetry that's just *inserted* into the middle of a story simply because the author wrote a poem and wanted to include it. I skip the poetry in Tolkien, too. (I also hate musicals -- it bothers me that otherwise normal people suddenly break out into choreographed song-and-dance numbers.) I'll acknowledge that some classic poetry is good.

But I absolutely
hate
modern poetry where
people just write
whatever the hell
they
feel like in lines like this
and call
it poetry.

moonspawn

The max I can handle at a time is 4 books. I've tried 5 but that definitely doesn't work. I've found 2 is best for me. That way if I reach a boring part in one book I can read more from the other book that day and it doesn't take forever to get through one book like it does when I juggle four.

Mohammed Al Mulla

Owns a Ring of Power
I go with one book at a time ^^ it is hard enough to keep things on track as it is.. Can't imagine reading 2!! My brain would just go over heated and burn off ^^
I even do not play 2 video games or watch 2 anime series at the same time.. I feel that i will be in a total miss if I do that ^^ one thing at a time.. Slow and steady wins the race ^^