Does ASOIAF get better?

LamiaKnight

Stood on the wall with Druss
I've read A Game of Thrones twice now trying to like it. I only think it's alright and am not driven to read the rest of the series. Do the later books become more exciting than the first or do they all read about the same?

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Im on the book three, and so far they have progressed in excitement department, with this third one being the most exciting. So my quick answer would be YES.

But if you read the first book, and you dont care enough to want to find out what happens to any of the characters, then I'll spell it out for you:

THIS SERIES IS NOT FOR YOU.

Mind you, there is nothing wrong with that either ;)

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Yup, some of us aren't really into ASOIAF! It doesn't mean you are a bad person or have bad taste :D At least I'm telling myself that!
I quit halfway through book 5 since it was becoming a chore and not a pleasure to read. At least for me!

No matter the hype, if you're not liking it, kick it to the side!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I quit halfway through book 5 since it was becoming a chore and not a pleasure to read. At least for me!
The first 2/3 of book 5 were a trial for me. Dany complaining about which guy to marry and Tyrion on boats. But the last 1/3 was pretty good. We got back to Arya, there was at least one chapter with Jaime, and Dany's storyline got more interesting.

Zymologist

Has been in the eye of the world
I found the series pretty easy to get into, but I would also say that it seems to pick up in books 2 and 3. Books 4 and 5, while I still enjoyed a lot, were a little more of a trial.

But if you didn't like the first book, I would probably recommend just letting it go. I can't really see you liking the rest of it enough to merit reading those mammoths.

Sir Arthur

I found the series pretty easy to get into, but I would also say that it seems to pick up in books 2 and 3. Books 4 and 5, while I still enjoyed a lot, were a little more of a trial.

But if you didn't like the first book, I would probably recommend just letting it go. I can't really see you liking the rest of it enough to merit reading those mammoths.
I agree, if you don't enjoy GoT, I doubt you'll enjoy the rest of the series.

fbones24

I guess it depends on why you're not into GOT? I feel like GOT was sort of an "introduction" setting the stage for the story to develop. With that in mind, maybe you should at least start on A Clash of Kings and see if it grips you.

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
I agree with many of the others who have commented. I think all of the characteristics that make GoT distinct are exaggerated in the next books of the series. Even more characters are introduced, plot lines get more gruesome and more convoluted, the storyline gets bigger and more complex. If these are aspects of the book that you didn't like in Game of Thrones, they only get worse. I actually found the first 3 books the best, with 2 being my favourite. I feel slightly afraid to even say this here, as many people on the site are die hard fans of ASOIAF, but I think the 4th and 5th books take a sharp downturn in quality. The story simply becomes too broad and not enough actually happens because too many characters are being followed to care about any of them. It feels like Martin has lost control of the story arc. I like the series enough and will continue to read it (if it is ever finished) but if the things I mentioned earlier bothered you enough to consider quitting after the first book, I would say don't torture yourself by trying to read the thousands of pages of the next 4 books. Try something else and hopefully you'll like it better!

Amaryllis

Whereas Books 1-3 had a plan, stuck to that plan, and seemed to make every chapter count, books 4 and 5 just seemed to putter around aimlessly. I wrote a long ass review of the series once, and 'lost track of the story arc' is pretty close to how I described those books. I don't think you'll find ANYONE who will disagree with you, including big fans of the series. I know moonspawn liked Book 4 (which most people list as the worst), but even he admitted that the story started meandering.

Besides, we're only highly judgmental here if you're trying to foist a terrible self-published book on us through dishonest means.

And not that the OP needs anymore answering, what with like 12 people giving the same answer, but yeah. If Game of Thrones didn't hook you, the subsequent books aren't going to be any different.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
It's hard to imagine how you couldn't like it o_O.

Is fantasy a genres you typically read? Do you even read fiction for that matter?

ASoIaF isn't quite like Steven Erikson's Book of the Fallen. (The other "best" fantasy series.) Almost everyone that reads Martin's series almost always universally at least likes it and is hooked from the first chapter. (With many thinking it was the best series they'd ever read.) I was hooked from the first chapter.

Well, it was the best series I'd ever read, at least. And I've been reading fantasy a while now. (All kinds and variants of it.) I don't even honestly know what to tell you. I wouldn't even be able to recommend anything else if I tried. Martin's always something I thought as -the- best. Every time I read a fantasy series I think back to it in comparison.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Besides, we're only highly judgmental here if you're trying to foist a terrible self-published book on us through dishonest means.
I wanted to click the "funny" button but didn't want it to appear that I was laughing at your whole post, because you make some good points. Was only wanting to refer to the sentence quoted above!

João Ribeiro

Whereas Books 1-3 had a plan, stuck to that plan, and seemed to make every chapter count, books 4 and 5 just seemed to putter around aimlessly.
To me it felt almost the same, except I got the feeling that books 4 and 5 were more of a "let's make all the storylines connect with each other in a roundabout way".

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
You were saying? lol. I don't like to mess with the ASOIAF fans. They mean business ;)
My apologies. I didn't mean to come across that way. (Though upon re-reading my post I can indeed see that I had such a tone.)

I wasn't asking sarcastically, though. Do you typically read fiction? If so, what kind and by what authors? My brothers are like that, they hate fiction. The only fiction they ever gave a damn about was ASoIaF. That's it. Besides that- it's just Quotes and a select few Classics. (Like Oscar Wilde and the such.)

Also, pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you decided to join our community. So welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. :D

LamiaKnight

Stood on the wall with Druss
My apologies. I didn't mean to come across that way. (Though upon re-reading my post I can indeed see that I had such a tone.)

I wasn't asking sarcastically, though. Do you typically read fiction? If so, what kind and by what authors? My brothers are like that, they hate fiction. The only fiction they ever gave a damn about was ASoIaF. That's it. Besides that- it's just Quotes and a select few Classics. (Like Oscar Wilde and the such.)

Also, pleasure to meet you. I'm glad you decided to join our community. So welcome! I hope you enjoy it here. :D
ha, thanks. joined awhile ago i was just inactive for a month or 2. Yes I read fiction and mainly fantasy. I loved what there is of the kingkiller chronicles so far, I'm 5 books into the Dresden Files, I need the 3rd Malazan book, and Tigana made me feel emotions i didn't know i had. I just don't care much for ASOIAF. I don't know why but it didn't hook me like other books did. Maybe it is the insane hype from the general population (not you guys) or the fact that everyone either reads it or watches it and cant stop talking about it (I suppose those are the same thing). I tend to stay away from things that i don't stop hearing about so i may have been biased towards not liking it before i opened it. I did read it on two different occasions trying to get hooked but it never hooked me in.

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
I love SOME parts of the books. And SOME parts feel like a chore. That being said, its quite heart wrenching/pleasing when certain things happen. I found book 5 I was pulling my hair forcing myself to get it done until about the last quarter. That's when things picked up. I hate to say it this way but maybe skip some chapters.

B81

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I liked AFFC, had no real complaints about it. The problem with the book is that people expect some storyline's to continue, but they do not, cause we follow different characters. So they are dissapointed. A bonus for me were Jamie's chapters cause I've enjoyed his developement very much.
So basicly, if you read the book without whishing for that and expecting this it should be a pleasent read.

With ADWD its similar, I liked it, with the exception, that half of the book retells the storyline od AFFC.

TCSimpson

Might as well be a Malazan regular
I thoroughly enjoyed the first three. Could care less for Feast of Crows. And for me it wasn't so much the wandering but the choice of POV characters. I could care less for Brienne. ADWD I actually gave a 5 out 5. Yes 5 stars. Why? It had magic, and big ass dragons. And I was like FINALLLY!!!!!

Sir Arthur

I thoroughly enjoyed the first three. Could care less for Feast of Crows. And for me it wasn't so much the wandering but the choice of POV characters. I could care less for Brienne. ADWD I actually gave a 5 out 5. Yes 5 stars. Why? It had magic, and big ass dragons. And I was like FINALLLY!!!!!
I think you mean " couldn't care less".;)