Dragon Reborn... To read, or not to read (yet)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It is a lot like study. Keep in mind here that you can study something you are interested in. I am not saying you can't enjoy the book, it just requires work to do so. Having to flip to the back of the book and reference names and what not is pretty much the exact definition of study lol. But he may find it the most interesting topic he ever studied :)
I constantly flipped to the back of the book, referenced internet resources, asked questions on here. Malazan was hard work as far as I was concerned, but the most rewarding fantasy series I've read!

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
I constantly flipped to the back of the book, referenced internet resources, asked questions on here. Malazan was hard work as far as I was concerned, but the most rewarding fantasy series I've read!
Finally someone as dumb as I am!

I am kidding of course Tom :p but it is good to see I am not the only one. Felt like I was being blacklisted there for a second.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Finally someone as dumb as I am!

I am kidding of course Tom :p but it is good to see I am not the only one. Felt like I was being blacklisted there for a second.
Oh, not at all. In fact, in some other series I do find myself flipping to the back (and more often to the maps if there is one).

It's just that with Malazan I felt it held me back. The first 200 pages of Gardens of the Moon I constantly went to the dramatis personae. Once I gave that up and rolled with it the reading experience was infinitely more pleasant for me.

Darwin

IMO Wheel of Time really picks up after book 2 (for a few books, anyways).
Book 3: Stone of Tear, Callandor, noobs hunting Black Ajah
Book 4: the Aiel waste, Rhuidean, coup at Tar Valon, Nynaeve vs Moghedien, Two Rivers vs Trollocs/Whitecloaks
Book 5: Mat leads his army, Rand learns from Asmodean, lots of other stuff

Even book 6 is great, IMO, although that's the start of the
bowl of the wind
crap.

In the entire 14 book series, there are 3 distinct plot lines that I hated:
Bowl of the Winds, Faile's capture and rescue, and Elaine becoming queen

I think the series might be something you could come back to later. It has incredible world-building like ASoIaF and MBotF. Compared to ASoIaF, it's white rather than a rather dark shade of grey, and there's loads of magic instead of virtually none. Compared to MBotF, WoT establishes stronger connections between the reader and the protagonists (IMO). But the world-building is worth experiencing fully at some point.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
I never check the character list. I rarely check maps either. I am of the mind that if I dont get it right now, I'll get it by the end of the book. Malazan was no exception. As Silvion said, I roll with the flow.
I like the sense of discovery when reading books, and fitting and piecing the puzzle together over the course of the book(s), rather than having to understand what's up as soon as possible.

kenubrion

I never check the character list. I rarely check maps either. I am of the mind that if I dont get it right now, I'll get it by the end of the book. Malazan was no exception. As Silvion said, I roll with the flow.
I like the sense of discovery when reading books, and fitting and piecing the puzzle together over the course of the book(s), rather than having to understand what's up as soon as possible.
I don't do dramatis personae either although I tried to when I started Ruin. I just got more confused because it's so long with so many characters. Plus Gwynne names everyone with names very similar to other characters.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Plus Gwynne names everyone with names very similar to other characters
OK, this was a problem for me. There were to characters whose names started with "U" I kept getting mixed up, even though they were totally different.

But usually, it is not an issue. I read Dramatis Personae for spoilers in Malazan books. Example:

It was pretty obvious who "Strings" would turn out to be.

Yetiwatcher

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I am personally a massive fan of Wheel of Time, I'm rarely the kind of person to read a book twice but I am currently 12 books through and this is my kinda third time (Read 1-7 got bored and then started on 1 a few years later and couldn't put them down). I think will all books it's down to the individual and it is always worth trying to read a new book, even if you hate it. Your never know when you will find a hidden gem.

kenubrion

I am personally a massive fan of Wheel of Time, I'm rarely the kind of person to read a book twice but I am currently 12 books through and this is my kinda third time (Read 1-7 got bored and then started on 1 a few years later and couldn't put them down). I think will all books it's down to the individual and it is always worth trying to read a new book, even if you hate it. Your never know when you will find a hidden gem.
That's a good point, yeti, and welcome. We are in a golden age for fantasy with so many great authors and books as well as a huge influx of new authors. It's time consuming but checking out unknowns is fun and like you say, occasionally you get the jem amongst the dross. Being one of the first and then spreading the word is great fun.

Sirl19

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar
I read the whole WoT series non stop last year. Sure, it'll take patience, willpower and some effort not to stop at some point trough the midle, but think of the nightmare it would be if you wanted to come back some time later (if its hard to remember something you read last week imagine if it was 6 moths ago). But I can asure you it will be worth it in the end. Man, I enjoyed the last few books so much that by the time I finished I was willing to start all over again. Plus, since I read them without paying much attention to which book I was reading at a time, I have this concept in my mind that I read one huge (and I mean huge) book, with some slower parts, than a series of books which some were good and some were bad (I believe it makes it easier).

I hold the Kingkiller Chronicle as one (rather two, hopefully three) of my favourite books of all times and I tell you, I enjoyed the last part of WoT like nothing I've read in the last few years. I believe the effort of reading it without pause will be worth it. It workd for me, at least ;)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member