Dune: part 1

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hi all!

I saw some people discussing it in the monthly thread and I figured it'd be cool to include the trailer here. Maybe we can have a more targeted discussion about the movie.

What do y'all think? I was blown away. The visuals are great, the music score awesome and I'm also really psyched by the choice of characters. I was a bit doubtful about the guy they selected to play Paul, but seeing the moving footage my fears have been laid to rest.

I wonder where the cut-off between the movie part 1 and part 2 will be though...

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Kinda reminds me of a movie I saw once.

Jakyro

It's out as from today !!! :eek: ... I'm definitely going to watch it, but I'll finish the book first

kenubrion

Not out until October 22 in Canada for me.
Hi rudyjuly2, can you help me find this to watch? I never have watched one of the fantasy/scifi productions including The Expanse and SOIAF movies. I have always had prime but never used anything but book stuff. I really want to start with Dune and maybe learn how to access the other Amazon productions. Is it all online, which I hope. Thanks. Oh, I'm like 70 years old and still very lost about the internet.

rudyjuly2

Hi rudyjuly2, can you help me find this to watch? I never have watched one of the fantasy/scifi productions including The Expanse and SOIAF movies. I have always had prime but never used anything but book stuff. I really want to start with Dune and maybe learn how to access the other Amazon productions. Is it all online, which I hope. Thanks. Oh, I'm like 70 years old and still very lost about the internet.
I don’t know if we will have an option to watch it at home first or not. I may have to hit the Movies.

But if you have Prime then you need the Prime Video app. Get it on your phone or tablet or Apple TV. Then watch it directly or stream it to your Smart Tv.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
@kenubrion: adding to what rudyjuly2 said, I also don't think Dune will become available on Prime to be honest. The studio is aiming to make it a real cinema blockbuster first. The Expanse can be found on Prime though. And the Wheel of Time will also be released straight to Prime in November.

On the Dune release > I'm going to the cinema on Friday. Can't wait!

kenubrion

I don’t know if we will have an option to watch it at home first or not. I may have to hit the Movies.

But if you have Prime then you need the Prime Video app. Get it on your phone or tablet or Apple TV. Then watch it directly or stream it to your Smart Tv.
The app it is then. It will be the first app I've ever used.
(No smart phone either.)
Thank you rudy!

kenubrion

@kenubrion: adding to what rudyjuly2 said, I also don't think Dune will become available on Prime to be honest. The studio is aiming to make it a real cinema blockbuster first. The Expanse can be found on Prime though. And the Wheel of Time will also be released straight to Prime in November.

On the Dune release > I'm going to the cinema on Friday. Can't wait!
Thanks Silvion. Now I don't have to worry that I'm missing out on something that I have really I hoped for, a redo of the original Dune movie. And I just found The Expanse on Amazon. Thank you!

ReguIa

Just watched this in IMAX! I'm both ecstatic as well as trying to keep my excitement down because if what I just watched doesn't get a part 2 it'll be the biggest crime in cinematic history.

It's the best experience I've ever had at the cinema. Interstellar and BR2049 were fantastic in IMAX but this was something else. I loved the book, Denis is my favorite director working today, and the movie went above and beyond all my expectations.

A work of art imo.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Just watched this in IMAX! I'm both ecstatic as well as trying to keep my excitement down because if what I just watched doesn't get a part 2 it'll be the biggest crime in cinematic history.

It's the best experience I've ever had at the cinema. Interstellar and BR2049 were fantastic in IMAX but this was something else. I loved the book, Denis is my favorite director working today, and the movie went above and beyond all my expectations.

A work of art imo.
Whaaaaaaaat? Dude, I'm sitting here at 10 am, still having to work all day before I hit the cinema at 8pm and now I read this? There goes my working day :D

Jakyro

@kenubrion the movie will be released in the us on 22 october
it will also be available on HBO Max on the same day. The reviews I've read however mention that the movie should really be watched on a big screen

ReguIa

I hope you like it @Silvion Night !

I'm planning on watching it one more time so we'll see but for now I'm 100% satisfied with it. I don't believe anyone else could have made a better adaptation.

@Jakyro It's true. Watch the movie without sound and you'd still be captivated by the visual spectacle. Worth going to the cinema for that immersion.
But then there's the musical score which require a series sound system to fully appreciate.