Dungeon Crawlers

Why aren't there more good ole fashioned Dungeon Crawlers in Fantasy Fiction? I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any. I'm talking a rag tag group of adventurers exploring a mysterious crypt or dungeon filled with monsters, traps and magical weapons/artifacts that they can pick up and use. But with good characters and a real sense of peril (not everyone lives through it). Can y'all think of any?

Tanniel

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Why aren't there more good ole fashioned Dungeon Crawlers in Fantasy Fiction? I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any. I'm talking a rag tag group of adventurers exploring a mysterious crypt or dungeon filled with monsters, traps and magical weapons/artifacts that they can pick up and use. But with good characters and a real sense of peril (not everyone lives through it). Can y'all think of any?
There is a series by Tom Lloyd that starts with "Stranger of Tempest" (two books out so far). I found it somewhat too conventional for my tastes but it checks off most of your boxes.

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Why aren't there more good ole fashioned Dungeon Crawlers in Fantasy Fiction? I've looked high and low and can't seem to find any. I'm talking a rag tag group of adventurers exploring a mysterious crypt or dungeon filled with monsters, traps and magical weapons/artifacts that they can t pick up and use. But with good characters and a real sense of peril (not everyone lives through it). Can y'all think of any?
there are hundreds. but they never getvawards, or press or the like. all the ones im referring to are choose your own adventure books. they used to take up sections of used book stores, but I can't remember the last time I saw one.

ofer

Ironically enough, the only books I've read in recent years that fit your request are science fiction books which have either virtual reality or gaming scenes that include dungeons. 3 books I can recommend are Ready Player One by Ernest Cline, Soda Pop Soldier by Nick Cole, and the Otherland series by Tad Williams.

Peat

There is a series by Tom Lloyd that starts with "Stranger of Tempest" (two books out so far). I found it somewhat too conventional for my tastes but it checks off most of your boxes.
That was my initial thought too.

Jen Williams has a fair bit of this going on in her books too - Copper Cat and Ninth Rain are the two series starters.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
You'd probably need to resort to the LitRPG genre. It's brimming with the trope almost to chiking.

I recommend to you the Awaken Online series by Travis Bagwell. The first book has a great premise going on for it, and the second book is basically one ultimate gungeon-craw as you've put the term.

The Way of the Shaman is competently written LitRPG series consisting of handling unique scenarios and dealing with dungeons, so it would be quite in your alley as well.

Derk of Derkholm

Goblin Quest! By Jim Hines!