Dust of Dreams book club - book 1: The Sea Does Not Dream Of You

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
Read the prologue :

The Snake in the wastelands with the children is very bleak. This probably will be one of threads more disconnected from the other threads. I really like the K'Chain Che'Malle, I've always assumed they would play a big roll in the endgame. Really interesting to see their destriant wants to see them destroyed, makes you wonder about her willingness to complete the task she's been given. A lonely figure with tusks and a hood? Might this be Hood? And another group of tertiairy characters on the run.

Normally the prologues are nicely vague and utterly mysterious, but here most of it is quite clear. Not everything of course. Maybe, because I start to see the bigger picture of all the arcs.

and part of the first chapter:

Malazan marines! You've got to love them. And it seemed they were going to capture like a demigod or whatever, but apparently it is Fiddler. Nicely written by Erikson. And ha! Nep Furrow curses the lovely captain Kindly with blood blisters on his ball. Marines are just the best comic relief! Tavore apparently wants another Deck reading, interesting... I'll see how this continues...

How I missed MBotF!

Khartun

I just finished MBotF last year and I'm wanting to reread it. It's kinda daunting thinking that this one book is only half of the last part of the story but it is so good.

However,
The Snake is probably my least favorite part of the whole series.

Griffin

However,
The Snake is probably my least favorite part of the whole series.
Well, that's not fun to know, although I already suspect it will be one of those plotlines most removed from the overal story and used to convey mesmerizing thoughts about suffering, pain, the point of living, society, war and other heavy subjects.

ofer

Can't believe it's almost a year since I've read this. At first I agreed with your first spoiler, but then I remembered
That it's not the Snake plot-line which I wasn't much into in the last books. It was the Shake. Their story seemed a little bit out of context with the rest

Ha, I really don't want to say anything about that. It would take all the fun out of reading it.
Couldn't agree more. Just keep reading, @Griffin . See you in 2,500 pages or so.

Sir Arthur

It grew on me. That part of the story brought some memorable moments for me. I think in part it was a vehicle to outline aspects of a couple different cultures.

As for the Shake. That worked for me as well. Erikson uses these things as window into his fairly complex world. All these little story lines that come and go throughout the entire story aren't necessarily about the characters, and what they're doing. Just windows on the world, the history, and cultures. Sometimes just Erikson's opinion on things.

That's why this series could warrant a reread IMO.

Khartun

Can't believe it's almost a year since I've read this. At first I agreed with your first spoiler, but then I remembered
That it's not the Snake plot-line which I wasn't much into in the last books. It was the Shake. Their story seemed a little bit out of context with the rest
@Griffin do not read this spoiler.

I actually liked the Shake part quite a bit once they got to Kharkanas. I think it will probably tie in with the Kharkanas books he's writing now although I haven't started them yet.

Griffin

Spoilers about the first four chapters:

I have to admit I don't understand the Readings of the Deck of Dragons. They must contain tons of clues, but it goes mostly over my head. I really like the K'Chain Che'Malle POVs, they humanize the creatures and show us they have similarly flawed personalities just like us. The jade statues are really coming into play now, every other page you see a reference to the "green streaks across the sky" and the question about who sent them. There's been a few POV's with characters I barely remember as well, as per usual for MBotF. Really like some the reflections about humanity. Also, I'm just baffled how Erikson manages to flesh out a character and makes you care about them in under three pages. That's more than most authors manage in an entire book! I really like how Ublaba Pang and other save Brys from the Errant. I foresee a clash between Tavore and Ganoes Paran somewhere in the future. I am breathless when I read that the Master of the Deck might suck try gods, even Elders. Really makes you think about Paran's role into the endgame.

I've been blabbering here, I'm boldly marching forth...

Griffin

Well, chapter V was quite revealing:

The gods and the Forkrul Assail are going to clash in Kolanse, where the heart of the Crippled God crashed into. I sense a grand convergence. Icarium Lifestealer tried to make a new way for magic, imagine such a feat. Tavore doesn't want to play into the hands of anybody, but still plans on marching towards this most epic of epic clashes.

Funny: Quick Ben delivers an info-dump Erikson style at the beginning of book 9 about warrens and their connection to the Deck of Dragons. Most authors do this in book one, but Erikson probably thinks since everybody who has read up till this point while have some sense of what the warrens and the connection is, let's just spoon feed them my version. Taunting really :D

On another scale: I loved the talk between Fiddler and Hedge. Fid having mourned his friend and moving on, then to be confronted with a resurrected Hedge and trying to avoid contact while Hedge is just happy to be back and continue more or less from the point just before his death. Heartbreaking, something Erikson is truely good at.

Last edited:

Griffin

Chapter VI:

The Bolkando tried to manipulate the Khundryl and Perish, which utterly blew up in their face. The Avalt and Rava scene is really funny because they too easily dismiss their opponents while thinking they are so clever. I mean, they think Tehol a "blumbling idiot". Pride comes before the fall! I really liked the sequence where Mortal Sword Krughava shredded the Bolkando explanation about the 'savage' Khundryl to pieces. So, when the Bolkando find themselves at war with two seperate armies, Tanakalian delivers this line:
“After all, you may at this moment face two bridling, angry armies, my friends, and find yourself shaking with terror. Wait until you meet the Bonehunters.” Oh yeah!

Red flag for Queen Abrastal and her Evertine legion.

I really like the moments where Erikson mesmerizes about how civilization wrecks nature, landscapes and whatnot. We've seen this before how he uses his characters and these book to deliver apt critique.

The Shake are like 7 voices in one person, Icarium?

Hand of Fear

It has been good to read through this thread, and to read your thoughts on book one. I've actually found this a bit of a struggle so far, The Shake and The Snake being two of the main reasons not much has actually has happened and I know that he does take his time to build up to things but maybe it's a little bit to excessive ?

The Malazans have been excellent as usual, and I'm pretty confident that I will never be attached to any other army as much as them and I love the different jokes they are playing on each other !

I'm not really sure what to make of K'Chain Che'Malle though these from what I can remember have been elusive in their thoughts and goals and to have explained to us has kind of made then less mysterious and oddly behave just like everyone else.

Griffin

It has been good to read through this thread, and to read your thoughts on book one. I've actually found this a bit of a struggle so far, The Shake and The Snake being two of the main reasons not much has actually has happened and I know that he does take his time to build up to things but maybe it's a little bit to excessive ?
There's a pay-off, albeit not a large one. It's one of the only minor points I had with this book.

Just you wait! :D