Ebooks vs real books

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I hate it when authors do that. Brandon Sanderson's newest book took two weeks to come out on kindle, I don't see the hold up or why there is a delay.

WHY??? what is King's motivation?? Is he trying save paper books and bookstores on his own? I don't think that is a realistic crusade anymore. i'll always still read even if it is in a different medium to what i started using.

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
Technology makes it much easier to get rare and out of print books that you either wouldn't be able to get in paper format or is too expensive to justify buying in physical format. Also good for buying indie books if you're into that kind of thing. I don't own a kindle but if I did it would be for the reason's outlined above.

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I only buy physical books, but that's because I'm a book collector and have a passion for collecting books I love. I really don't have a personal bias for or against E-Books (I've actually read plenty of books on electronics, including the kindle.) when it comes to the actual act of reading.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've got a foot in both camps. Currently reading hard copies of Malazan, interspersed with Dresden which I'm reading on my kindle. Personally I'll always go for a hard copy if there's a map or glossary, as I find it so much easier flitting to and fro between text and front/back of the book.

Don't agree with what King is doing though. There's no denying E-books have been a bad thing for paper copies, but they're here and here to stay, so not releasing an e-book seems kind of pointless.

I actually bought my Kindle in anticipation of Memory of Light coming out, as I really don't like reading hardbacks (yeah I know I said I go for hard copies with maps in, but I know the WoT map pretty much upside down) ... so when I found out that the hardback was coming out two months before the e-book, I wasn't impressed! Ended up buying the hardback just because I HAD to read it as soon as I could! Will defo get the softback version when it comes out, just to finish off my bookshelf =)

Hand of Fear

I only buy paperbacks, Ebooks are over priced and should cost less and not more than paperbacks and also like the feel of a book in my hand.

Sir Arthur

I only buy paperbacks, Ebooks are over priced and should cost less and not more than paperbacks and also like the feel of a book in my hand.
You'll always pay a premium for convenience. My wife and I thought we would not like E-books, but before long we both love the damn things. Seems to me to be human nature to resist change. In the world of bicycles, it's much the same. Every time some new peice tech. comes out we all resist it, then use it, and are forced to admit how great it is. Of course, there are some folks out there riding around on fully rigid, single speed bikes with rim breaks and toe straps;)

Antoxx

Paperbacks certainly my preference because I like the feel if them. Prefer mass produced paperbacks over trade paperbacks and hardcovers due to weight and size.

I like buying ebooks. Wish there were more of them in Norwegian - if so, I'd get a kindle for my kids; the oldest reads faster than we can get him new, good books... (Unfortunately, the local publishers are very slow in adapting the new technology; their attitude is almost passive-aggressive...)

King is (obviously!) free to do whatever he wants with his books, but yes, it would be interesting to know his motivations...

Hand of Fear

You'll always pay a premium for convenience. My wife and I thought we would not like E-books, but before long we both love the damn things. Seems to me to be human nature to resist change. In the world of bicycles, it's much the same. Every time some new peice tech. comes out we all resist it, then use it, and are forced to admit how great it is. Of course, there are some folks out there riding around on fully rigid, single speed bikes with rim breaks and toe straps;)
Some good points raised here, I don't mind change but I cant see myself buying a E-reader anytime soon.

I also have a foot in both camps and what seems most important is that people keep reading, in which case I shouldn't really care what format they choose. But of course I do, because the demise of the bookstore makes me very sad indeed.

As for the difference in price point, I can see how authors, editors, publishers and so on all still have to be paid. It's only the printing costs that are lost when we publish in electronic format. I get the argument, all I can say is there must be a lot of printers prepared to produce thousands of books for a few cents.

A $20 ebook? Crazy.

Amaryllis

Anyone thought that Stephen King might be doing it as a reaction to the way some people have been reacting to e-book news recently (such as the last WoT book getting vindictively ratings-bombed on amazon by butthurt people mad it wasn't coming out on kindle soon enough), because he's already so successful that it couldn't conceivably matter to him anymore? He seems like the type to do that. Seeing how entitled those people acted was really disappointing, and he does have strong views about a lot of stuff that he isn't afraid to demonstrate.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Recently published paperback books are definitely not cheaper in the UK .. unless you count second hand copies off eBay etc ...

Kindle versions are always generally a few quid cheaper!

Hand of Fear

Recently published paperback books are definitely not cheaper in the UK .. unless you count second hand copies off eBay etc ...

Kindle versions are always generally a few quid cheaper!
I buy my books from Amazon and have had a quick look at some of the recent books I have bought, and the kindle versions are about £2 less.

Always thought that they cost more, has this recently changed or have they always been cheaper ?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I buy my books from Amazon and have had a quick look at some of the recent books I have bought, and the kindle versions are about £2 less.

Always thought that they cost more, has this recently changed or have they always been cheaper ?
It varies a lot. For new books, Kindle version is often less than hardcover (in the US). Sometimes paperbacks are cheaper, sometimes Kindle version is cheaper, for things that have been out awhile. For self-published stuff, it's usually the reverse, because print-on-demand just works that way. And then there are books like A Memory of Light, which are big releases, but where the e-book comes out much later, and price may be less of a factor in purchase decisions. Add in Amazon's dramatic discounts for hardcovers (making me actually purchase a few, instead of waiting for the paperbacks or getting them from the Science Fiction Book Club), and it's really just a convoluted mess.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member

If I'm getting a new softback book I'll generally get it off waterstones.com (primarily to support a high street shop which isn't amazon), but given that I have a kindle all my e-books come from amazon, and I've always found them to be cheaper! As far as I'm aware kindle has always been cheaper .. don't quote me on that though =)

Hand of Fear

If I'm getting a new softback book I'll generally get it off waterstones.com (primarily to support a high street shop which isn't amazon), but given that I have a kindle all my e-books come from amazon, and I've always found them to be cheaper! As far as I'm aware kindle has always been cheaper .. don't quote me on that though =)
I may have to rethink my idea of not buying a Kindle then, one of the reasons I was against buying one was the price of digital copies.

Also from what I've read they don't seem to last more than 12 months, at least I know when I buy a book it will last years and not fall apart it will just be discolored from age.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I may have to rethink my idea of not buying a Kindle then, one of the reasons I was against buying one was the price of digital copies.

Also from what I've read they don't seem to last more than 12 months, at least I know when I buy a book it will last years and not fall apart it will just be discolored from age.
My mums kindle Is 3 years old now and still going strong .. mine is 2 years old and absolutely fine.

Like you i still prefer paper backs though , just think there's a place for ebooks.