Ebooks vs real books

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
I prefer paperbacks and don't own a kindle. I do have a couple of books on my girlfriend's but never seem to get round to reading them.

I don't like the price of convenience that's put on e-books; some e-books are more expensive than paperbacks now. However, I've been thinking about buying my own kindle mainly because authors like T.A. Pratt release short stories in a kindle-only format. T.A. Pratt also self-prints his Marla Mason series since being cut during a publishing company takeover, Unfortunately, this makes importing the paperbacks from the US much more expensive than buying them on kindle.

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Recently published paperback books are definitely not cheaper in the UK .. unless you count second hand copies off eBay etc ...

Kindle versions are always generally a few quid cheaper!
That's the same in Portugal. E-books are cheaper than the paper ones. Especially if you compare them with the translated versions.

Prometheus

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I do everything on my iPad these days. Work, watch TV, produce my artwork and my books and of course read. I think King is massively out of touch with a modern generation. However he has enough of a following not to care and can do such things.

There will be very few people reading him in airports, on the beach etc as that is where the ereader, phone, iPad comes into its own. A book is just one more thing to carry plus you can download from anywhere with wifi. No hunting out a book store.

I used to read King a lot when I was younger but in my opinion he ran out of ideas at least ten years ago so its no loss to me.

Amaryllis

He didn't run out of ideas (how does this even make sense?), and I'm pretty sure that like 5 years ago or something, he was considered a 'pioneer' of the whole ebook frontier (and made a heap of money off it), so I really don't think the ebook crowd is 'outside his demographic.'

I mean, I certainly don't mean to defend the guy too hard. There's a fair amount of King work I have no interest in reading despite loving him as an author, and I was not much of a fan of the Dark Tower, so I'm not some rabid fan who won't accept a negative word uttered in his direction. But I see this kind of curt dismissal of him a lot, particularly among college kids, and most of the time it doesn't make any sense.

Prometheus

His latest book Joyland is based at a 'carny' in 1973. You can't get more out of touch than that. People will always buy his books but that does not make him good. His characters are, in my opinion, one dimensional, obvious, stereotypical and largely dull.

Btw I am not a college kid. I am 39 year old man and have read an awful lot in my time.

The point was more about the trend in ebooks not the author.

In five years time paper books will be a long distant memory and to be honest I won't be bothered. At least the pages can't fall out in the hot midday sun!

João Ribeiro

In five years time paper books will be a long distant memory and to be honest I won't be bothered. At least the pages can't fall out in the hot midday sun!
Even though I am a fan of ebooks and I mostly just read in my tablet I don't believe that paper books will ever disappear. For example I only offer paper books. Other people still enjoy their bookhelves.

So it will be just like the DVD/Blueray dilemma, they will both coexist!

Hand of Fear

Even though I am a fan of ebooks and I mostly just read in my tablet I don't believe that paper books will ever disappear. For example I only offer paper books. Other people still enjoy their bookhelves.

So it will be just like the DVD/Blueray dilemma, they will both coexist!
I agree with you on this, there is room enough for both paperbacks and Ebooks.

Prometheus

Then how do you explain the closure of bookstores everywhere? The paper market is retracting fast. Amazon eat al are rolling up the ebook market through acquisitions as they clearly see this as the model going forward.

Remember the Egyptians? They used scrolls and tablets.

You can't halt progress.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Then how do you explain the closure of bookstores everywhere? The paper market is retracting fast. Amazon eat al are rolling up the ebook market through acquisitions as they clearly see this as the model going forward.

You can't halt progress.
My guess for the recent downfall of physical bookstores is because of internet shops such as Amazon or stores that people use. It's much cheaper to buy books from the internet stores. They don't have to pay for several salesclerks and rent for the store and i get my books for a cheaper price. A paperback from a physical store can cost between 24-15 USD and the same book from an internet store can cost 14 to 6 USD, Shipping usually come free if u buy for 30 USD ( just a rough estimation from the sites i usually buy from)

Prometheus

My guess for the recent downfall of physical bookstores is because of internet shops such as Amazon or stores that people use. It's much cheaper to buy books from the internet stores. They don't have to pay for several salesclerks and rent for the store and i get my books for a cheaper price. A paperback from a physical store can cost between 24-15 USD and the same book from an internet store can cost 14 to 6 USD, Shipping usually come free if u buy for 30 USD ( just a rough estimation from the sites i usually buy from)
Exactly! Market forces dictate technology trends. Blue rays have never overtaken Eve's because there is no market advantage in them for the supplier. Live streaming however is a different matter. Books are no different.

There is also the impact of storing books, particularly in crowded populations. If you are Korean or say Chinese and live in a small flat in a dense populated area you are hardly going to give over space to a row of hooks when you can keep them all in the cloud.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Exactly! Market forces dictate technology trends. Blue rays have never overtaken Eve's because there is no market advantage in them for the supplier. Live streaming however is a different matter. Books are no different.

There is also the impact of storing books, particularly in crowded populations. If you are Korean or say Chinese and live in a small flat in a dense populated area you are hardly going to give over space to a row of hooks when you can keep them all in the cloud.

True! But i think there's still a big demand for "real books". Just not maybe from the physical stores. The general bookstores are closing down fast here in Sweden but there are a couple of stores left and some of them do really well. There's a store in central stockholm that carter to Sci fi and fantasy only. At any given time of the day they have atleast around 5-8 people buying stuff, i've never seen the store empty or less than that. I personally like to have a lot of books at home and i hope to make my collection bigger! But i do see the e book market growing bigger and also the benefits of E books. I'll just stubbornly stick to "real books" because i just like them just like some people like blue better than red.

Derk of Derkholm

I always thought that I could not think myself getting an e-reader and reading that way ... until I tried it out.

I found out that I am first and foremost a reader, and a spine-fondler and paper-sniffer only secondly. And my Kindle turned out to be so much more convenient than paper books.

When I went back to buying some paperback books instead of the e-book versions a bit later because they were nearly the same price, I was kicking myself repeatedly when I was sitting in my unlit commuter train in the morning, trying to read the minuscule print on the dirty-grey pages of cheap print and thought to myself "Why did I not buy the e-book? I could be reading that on the nice, bright screen of my Kindle Fire (which I use for winter/nighttime reading instead of my Kindle keyboard) now instead of straining my eyes".

Of course, you can lend a paper book to a friend, an e-book not so much (if you respect copyright).

Best regards,
Andy

João Ribeiro

You can't halt progress.

Once again I can only comment on the Portuguese reality but here the answer is simple, it's called FNAC. They kind of cornered the market on both books and music. It also helps that they sell electronics in general and are conveniently located in a shopping center so here when anyone thinks of buying a book they think FNAC.
I actually had a discussion with a friend about where to buy a CD (music) and I don't even know of another place that's not FNAC. In Aveiro (where I work) there is only one store in a city with 55000 people.

More recently this is also a trend in supermarkets. So physical bookstores just got edged out of the market.

Prometheus

I always thought that I could not think myself getting an e-reader and reading that way ... until I tried it out.

I found out that I am first and foremost a reader, and a spine-fondler and paper-sniffer only secondly. And my Kindle turned out to be so much more convenient than paper books.

When I went back to buying some paperback books instead of the e-book versions a bit later because they were nearly the same price, I was kicking myself repeatedly when I was sitting in my unlit commuter train in the morning, trying to read the minuscule print on the dirty-grey pages of cheap print and thought to myself "Why did I not buy the e-book? I could be reading that on the nice, bright screen of my Kindle Fire (which I use for winter/nighttime reading instead of my Kindle keyboard) now instead of straining my eyes".

Of course, you can lend a paper book to a friend, an e-book not so much (if you respect copyright).

Best regards,
Andy
Plus you can sample ebooks at your leisure. Not so in a bookstore since Borders shut down. There are no sofas in WHSmiths or Waterstones in the Uk. I can sit in Costa with a coffee and browse Amazon on free wifi all day!!

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Plus you can sample ebooks at your leisure. Not so in a bookstore since Borders shut down. There are no sofas in WHSmiths or Waterstones in the Uk. I can sit in Costa with a coffee and browse Amazon on free wifi all day!!
Similar argument can be made for physical shops too. There's this shop i was talking about earlier, i like to walk around down the different lanes with hundreds of different fantasy books just browsing. Sometimes you chat with other customers/salesclerks and overall it's just a nice nerdy atmosphere in there!

Prometheus

Similar argument can be made for physical shops too. There's this shop i was talking about earlier, i like to walk around down the different lanes with hundreds of different fantasy books just browsing. Sometimes you chat with other customers/salesclerks and overall it's just a nice nerdy atmosphere in there!
I completely agree with you but I can't see it lasting. Maybe bookshops should look to add some digital content or offer wifi themselves? They need to evolve or they will dissolve!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Sometimes you chat with other customers/salesclerks
This is why I had to stop going to Borders (before it closed). There was an employee who haunted the fantasy section and made me very uncomfortable. Kept making recommendations that were not asked for, kept talking when I was clearly trying to read back covers, and wouldn't leave even when I turned my back. It was getting to where I was going to have to talk to the manager. But Barnes and Noble was (and still is) just down the street.

Never saw him harassing male customers in quite the same way...

Prometheus

Ma
This is why I had to stop going to Borders (before it closed). There was an employee who haunted the fantasy section and made me very uncomfortable. Kept making recommendations that were not asked for, kept talking when I was clearly trying to read back covers, and wouldn't leave even when I turned my back. It was getting to where I was going to have to talk to the manager. But Barnes and Noble was (and still is) just down the street.

Never saw him harassing male customers in quite the same way...
Haunted the fantasy section. How poetic!

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I am first and foremost a reader, and a spine-fondler and paper-sniffer only secondly
i never really sniffed pages but I agree. After getting my kindle and then my tablet after my kindle broke I have hardly bought a paperback. Besides, I just end up wreaking them lol. i'm careless ... well i stepped on my kindle too .... so maybe i'm just careless in general and that has nothing to do with how i treat my books.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
i never really sniffed pages but I agree. After getting my kindle and then my tablet after my kindle broke I have hardly bought a paperback. Besides, I just end up wreaking them lol. i'm careless ... well i stepped on my kindle too .... so maybe i'm just careless in general and that has nothing to do with how i treat my books.
I used to be against Kindles because you couldn't take them in the bathtub. Well, I have figured out a way around that. Get a gallon sized freezer bag (or whatever is the equivalent size in metric-using countries, something like 4 liters, I suppose). Put your Kindle inside and zip closed. Touch screen still works.

That said, I just like the look of books on shelves. But, I have run out of room in my condo for new shelves.