Ebooks vs real books

Love the Kindle in a bag idea, might give that a try. As for bookshops, they're all closing around where I live. Such a shame. As much as I love my iPad there's nothing like spending a couple of hours hanging out in a real bookstore.

The good thing about ebooks and the whole online publishing thing is that it has given so many more people the opportunity to be creative and publish their own work. That has to be a good thing.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
That said, I just like the look of books on shelves
Yea there is a pic on Rothfuss' blog somewhere, can't be arsed finding it ... i almost drooled. but to be honest, i've read many 100+ books since getting my kindle and i'm not going to go out and by them all so my shelves look good. I also won't start buying them when i get my own place coz i'm too attached to the convenience of reading ebooks. So that dream has gone out the window. it's fine tho .. i can still have that sun room i've always wanted ... coz reading in the actual sun burns my freakishly pale skin (yes i live in aus, no i'm not tanned. srry for shattering any illusions you had).

Amaryllis

Journeyed there and back again
You can hardly claim to be a nerd if you have normal people complexion.

But yeah, you did kind of ruin my assumption about Australians, which is that you're all deeply tanned chaps (and chap...ettes?) well-versed in the outback, bunny-hunting, and matters of survival in dealing with the thousands of fatally poisonous monsters living around you every day, and with the same sexy accent (because obviously, on a continent with the size and ethnic diversity of Australia, everyone has a uniform accent. Hollywood tells me so, and why would they lie?).

If I'm not right on at least one of these counts, I'm going to have trouble getting out of bed tomorrow. So the ball is in your court.

João Ribeiro

You can hardly claim to be a nerd if you have normal people complexion.

But yeah, you did kind of ruin my assumption about Australians, which is that you're all deeply tanned chaps (and chap...ettes?) well-versed in the outback, bunny-hunting, and matters of survival in dealing with the thousands of fatally poisonous monsters living around you every day, and with the same sexy accent (because obviously, on a continent with the size and ethnic diversity of Australia, everyone has a uniform accent. Hollywood tells me so, and why would they lie?).

If I'm not right on at least one of these counts, I'm going to have trouble getting out of bed tomorrow. So the ball is in your court.
Clearly you haven't watched MasterChef Australia :bag:

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
yes i live in aus, no i'm not tanned. srry for shattering any illusions you had
Having actually been to Australia (20 years ago, though), I actually don't remember too many tanned people. Of course, it was in the middle of winter down there, which may have been the issue.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
well-versed in the outback
yes ... i've lived in small country towns and spent a fair bit of time on farms... does that count?

atters of survival in dealing with the thousands of fatally poisonous monsters living around you every day
yea i smash the spiders. and watched snakes heads get chopped off when they try to bite ppl.

with the same sexy accen
HAHAHAHAH depends what accent from the movies you're talking about.

GhostWarrior

Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon
Plus you can sample ebooks at your leisure. Not so in a bookstore since Borders shut down. There are no sofas in WHSmiths or Waterstones in the Uk. I can sit in Costa with a coffee and browse Amazon on free wifi all day!!
There's still a couple of places that sell books in Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee that have a few sofas, or at least chairs, so I have to assume there's a similar situation elsewhere in the UK if only in the larger cities. That's not to say that book shops aren't a dying breed but I can't see them all disappearing just yet. Even if they were to vanish, I can't imagine Amazon etc. would ever stop selling paperbacks while there remains a viable market. While the use of technology is on the rise, that doesn't necessarily mean the demand for physical possessions is falling drastically, or at all. A recent article by the BBC reports a 66% increase in sales for digital books and only a 1% decrease for physical. It also reports that Waterstones have actually seen a rise in physical sales.

Convenience and technological advances - specifically digital media in this case - aren't always necessary, nor do they become the norm. A lot of what is going on just now is nothing more than companies attempting to get their fingers into all available pies. It was the same with social media - companies spread resources too thin while trying to create a viable online presence by having 4, 5, 6 or even more social media profiles. The figures now see them consolidating because they've realised that each social network is more useful for specific types of business. In that sense, I can see places where small flats are the norm - you mentioned a fair number earlier in the thread - to go purely digital but don't see it as the end of physical products globally.

An alternative explanation for the closing of high street stores is the fact that many companies expanded far beyond their reach. Gamestation/GAME, and GameStop in the US are prime examples of this. They're closing stores now because the economic downturn made the large expansion plans unviable and there's now a need for consolidation. Rising digital sales have a hand in this to a certain extent but downsizing and consolidation is happening in every sector. In the UK, the only company I can think of that hasn't started to consolidate their assets and stop expansion is Greggs still has new stores opening everywhere. While there is a correlation between physical stores closing and a rise in online shopping/digital media, closures are beginning to slow down and should balance out soon. At least that's what analysts appear to think and it seems like a reasonable assumption considering places like Glasgow (sorry for all the Scottish examples, they're the cities I'm most familiar with lol) have seen a lot of empty premises being put to use. This doesn't necessarily mean that a huge growth in physical sales is going to take place but it at least shows that online/digital isn't in a clear dominant position.

Sorry for the huge wall of rambling, I just like to defend physical sales - bit strange really since I just finished a research proposal on the growth of online retailing lmao but it was that research that showed me that online sales aren't controlling as much of the market as we seem to believe.

Hand of Fear

I live in Wales and we still have a couple of books stores in the City (Swansea) called Waterstones and WHsmith, though WHsmith also sell a lot of other stuff. It's sad to see bookshops closing down as their great places to go and buy something if you want it straight away. Though I cant remember the last time I actually bought a book from either places, cheaper to buy them online.

I also bought my first Ebook recently on my mobile called The Death of the Necromancer by Martha Wells, and have come around to the idea of a Kindle which I may have for my birthday.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
have come around to the idea of a Kindle
I never would've bought a Kindle for myself. (I won one in last year's BFB giveaway.) But I have to admit I do like it. Backlist titles can often be found for just a couple of bucks and you get instant gratification (i.e. purchases are on your device in seconds) assuming you have a good internet connection.

Zarien

Knows how to pronounce Kvothe
I never would have purchased an Ipad but I was given one as a christmas present and honestly I love using the kindle app on it. I was a die-hard physical books only person and told myself I would never want to switch. But once I had all of those super cheap and free books at my hands I was a goner. Now I tend to go on a once a month visit to the bookstores for physical books that I want or their sequels. While filling my time in between with kindle books.

Antoxx

I never would have purchased an Ipad but I was given one as a christmas present and honestly I love using the kindle app on it. I was a die-hard physical books only person and told myself I would never want to switch. But once I had all of those super cheap and free books at my hands I was a goner. Now I tend to go on a once a month visit to the bookstores for physical books that I want or their sequels. While filling my time in between with kindle books.
I don't think I'd like the idea of having books from the same series across different mediums. I could almost bring myself to owning some ebooks but would need to have the entire series in ebook format. And if it was great I'd probably go and buy the physical book anyway, so I could see it on the bookshelf!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I don't think I'd like the idea of having books from the same series across different mediums.
While I don't mind having mixed editions (mass market, trade paperback, hardcover), I think I would also have a hard time with some e-books and some paper books from the same series. Since I have little-to-no book buying budget at the moment, it hasn't come up (yet). But there are a whole lot of unfinished series that I am going to want hard copies for.

Zarien

I don't think I'd like the idea of having books from the same series across different mediums. I could almost bring myself to owning some ebooks but would need to have the entire series in ebook format. And if it was great I'd probably go and buy the physical book anyway, so I could see it on the bookshelf!
sorry, I suppose the way I wrote that made it seem like I have some of each in a series. I don't, what I meant was that the really really good books I was already reading before, like dresden files, kingkiller, brent weeks light trilogy, brandon sanderson's multiple projects he can't figure out which to continue, books like those are the ones I continue to buy at bookstores. In between major books like those I now pick up e-book versions of other books and series I wouldn't have given a shot before but because of their cheap price I do now, like the galactic mage series, kinshield series, mageborn series, etc.

Hand of Fear

sorry, I suppose the way I wrote that made it seem like I have some of each in a series. I don't, what I meant was that the really really good books I was already reading before, like dresden files, kingkiller, brent weeks light trilogy, brandon sanderson's multiple projects he can't figure out which to continue, books like those are the ones I continue to buy at bookstores. In between major books like those I now pick up e-book versions of other books and series I wouldn't have given a shot before but because of their cheap price I do now, like the galactic mage series, kinshield series, mageborn series, etc.
I would be the same I have a few series of books that I haven't finished yet and wouldn't like to own them in different formats, but I wouldn't mind owning a kindle to read books I wouldn't normally by or books that are out of print that are available through an Ebook format that way you can have the best of both worlds.

Francesca

Killed in the battle against the Mad King
I am trying to decide whether to buy a kindle or not. I love having the actual book but my house is just becoming far too cluttered! Also, I have the kindle app on my tablet already, but the screen is similar to a computer screen so its not ideal to be reading off of. It would seem a waste to pay £100 or more for a kindle when I kind of already have access to an ebook reader.

Hand of Fear

I am trying to decide whether to buy a kindle or not. I love having the actual book but my house is just becoming far too cluttered! Also, I have the kindle app on my tablet already, but the screen is similar to a computer screen so its not ideal to be reading off of. It would seem a waste to pay £100 or more for a kindle when I kind of already have access to an ebook reader.
I find myself in the same situation as you, been trying to decide if I want to get one over the last few months and I still haven't got one. I have been looking at the Nexus 7, but there's a new one coming out soon so may just wait for that one instead.

bobo

Will always prefer a real book in my hands. But I do appreciate the convenience of an e-book. I read from my iPhone sometimes when I'm on the go if I did not bring my book along. So I will always have an e-copy of the particular book I'm reading on my phone as well.

So here's my moral dilemma, I've already bought and paid for a hard copy of the book. Is it alright for me to download (i.e. torrent) a "free" copy of the e-book of the net?

Antoxx

Will always prefer a real book in my hands. But I do appreciate the convenience of an e-book. I read from my iPhone sometimes when I'm on the go if I did not bring my book along. So I will always have an e-copy of the particular book I'm reading on my phone as well.

So here's my moral dilemma, I've already bought and paid for a hard copy of the book. Is it alright for me to download (i.e. torrent) a "free" copy of the e-book of the net?
Hhhmmm, I'd personally say from a moral point of view that it would be OK. It physically hasn't cost anything further. However, in downloading it you kight be propping up the illegal downloading provider. Not sure now!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
So I was listening to the radio as I was driving somewhere and I'm pretty sure I heard that Apple was successfully prosecuted for conspiring with several major publishers to raise the prices of ebooks on Amazon in order to undercut that business and corner the market on digital books. Granted, I had loud, screaming children in the car so I couldn't take in all the details but it would make a lot of sense. I remember when I first bought my Kindle and digital books were about $5 on Amazon, compared to their $10 counterparts. Last year, I finally put my Kindle away after realizing that three books I'd just purchased (about $14 each) were several dollars cheaper in hard copy.

Has anyone else heard anything about this? I am interested in seeing how this turns out, because it would fantastic if digital book prices decreased now that this whole thing is out in the open.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Here is a good place to go for information on that (unfortunately, behind a pay wall after a certain number of articles, unless you subscribe):

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/b...-amazon-an-advantage.html?ref=davidstreitfeld

This one is a New York Times article on the ruling itself, and a couple of other happenings in the publishing industry that are likely to affect book prices.

http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_streitfeld/index.html?8qa

This one is a link to a whole bunch of articles on the NY Times website. (David Streitfeld is a NY Times reporter who writes extensively about Amazon, technology, e-books, etc. I'm partial to his work because he quoted me in a story once. But he is usually the one who writes about the big Amazon/ebook/etc. related news, so you'll find related stories on his page.)