Ebooks vs real books

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Here is a question for you all. It is sort of related to the topic of this thread, so I figured I would post it here instead of starting a new thread.

I am not sure how this works, since I live in the US and Kindles are easily purchased here. But I have an online acquaintance in another country (where Kindles are not available) who would like to get one. If any of you outside of the US have any advice on this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Here is a good place to go for information on that (unfortunately, behind a pay wall after a certain number of articles, unless you subscribe): http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/11/b...-amazon-an-advantage.html?ref=davidstreitfeld This one is a New York Times article on the ruling itself, and a couple of other happenings in the publishing industry that are likely to affect book prices. http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/s/david_streitfeld/index.html?8qa This one is a link to a whole bunch of articles on the NY Times website. (David Streitfeld is a NY Times reporter who writes extensively about Amazon, technology, e-books, etc. I'm partial to his work because he quoted me in a story once. But he is usually the one who writes about the big Amazon/ebook/etc. related news, so you'll find related stories on his page.)
Thanks Sneaky. It's an interesting issue. Big business scares me in general, but I don't know what to make of this whole issue. I wonder how it will affect the consumer...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
So far, across this side of the pond in the UK, I haven't yet seen an ebook more expensive than a paper copy. They are always generally £2-£5 cheaper on kindle, and sometimes a lot more. For example, the first book in a trilogy will often only be £2-£3 (this was the case with some Hobb trilogies a while back), and then the last two books would be more expensive (but still cheaper than paper).

As soon as I see ebooks more expensive than paper ones, I'm fairly confident my kindle will be finding its way into the closest dustbin!

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
As soon as I saw ebooks more expensive than paper ones, I'm fairly confident my kindle would be finding its way into the dustbin (sorry, trash can [American English])!
Yep. That's how I felt (although I just couldn't bring myself to put my precious Kindle in the trash--too many good books on it already). I put my Kindle in the back of my drawer and headed over to the library once I realized I was being duped. I was so mad at myself for not checking the prices, but I'd gotten so used to downloading onto my kindle that I guess I sort of became complacent. I refuse to pay more for an electronic copy of a book--after paying a pretty penny for the machine that lets me read said book--than for a hard copy, which I can share, resell as a used copy, etc.

What I'm wondering now is whether Amazon will drop book prices back down so that they reflect the cheaper production costs of an electronic book, like they were doing before.