Economics (from December fantasy thread)

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
I forgot that Pearl Harbour, 9/11, Black Friday and the publication of "Twilight" were most likely engineered by the CIA, the Mossad and the Freemasons together, if you trust knowledgeable people on the Interwebs.

On a less joking note, I definitely agree that it would be very good if a more libertarian candidate was elected as US president next. I am, however, not seeing many of these. (Unless somebody tells Mitt Romney that this might finally get him elected, then he will possibly adopt such a stance publicly :wacky: )

wakarimasen

Putin helped the world avoid WW3.
Putin is old school KGB. A dictator in all but name. He just did what he thought would undermine the west the most.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good reason for his deep seated hatred - the U.S. globally is an extremely aggressive nation, capable and willing to put troops on the ground in countries its dogma says it should.

What I would say is that his vision of a healthy society is a dark one. One born of xenophobia, paranoia and monumental self-superiority (sounds like Fox News doesn't it?). Don't give him any kudos, the guy is a killer.

moonspawn

Putin is old school KGB. A dictator in all but name. He just did what he thought would undermine the west the most.

I'm not saying he doesn't have good reason for his deep seated hatred - the U.S. globally is an extremely aggressive nation, capable and willing to put troops on the ground in countries its dogma says it should.

What I would say is that his vision of a healthy society is a dark one. One born of xenophobia, paranoia and monumental self-superiority (sounds like Fox News doesn't it?). Don't give him any kudos, the guy is a killer.
Oh I know. Russia is a very oppressive country. People who have popular blogs have to register with the government. This way if there is anything they're posting that the government finds disagreeable they can just cut them off from that blog. Also they've outlawed what is called gay propaganda in Russia including public displays of affection. I believe the purpose here was to "protect the children."

Derk of Derkholm

Haha, you are describing e.g. Sarah Palin to a T, right down to her preferences of killing wild animals with a high-powered rifle out of a helicopter :)

wakarimasen

ss
killing wild animals with a high-powered rifle
Big Name, Big Game.
A new reality TV show in which Sarah Palin and Vladimir Putin team up to take viewers on a tour of the most ridiculous ways of killing (or *ahem* tranquilising) animals.
Episode One: Sarah laughs as Vlad tries to wrestle an Alaskan bear but finds it an unwilling participant. Things get tense in the outdoor hottub at the lodge.
Episode Two: Vlad let's Sarah use a new sniper rifle developed for deployment in the Ukraine, to her evident surprise it's the perfect compliment to her snowmobile. A disagreement over lucky rabbit's feet ends well for all.

Derk of Derkholm

How did we get to this from Economics?

moonspawn

Anybody read the book by now? I'd love to have a genuine discussion on it. Especially including the rebuttal publications (that were in German, which I can't read :rage: )...
Nope. What book was this can? I can't remember.....anyway's after reading Friedman's Freedom and Capitalism I decided nah I'm not really that interested in economics. It's too difficult of a subject to understand and that book is mainly about economic policy and principal, not nearly so academically rigorous as the book you recommend sounds.

Derk of Derkholm