Eleanor Xander and the Awakening of the Power - Adam Thomson

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Mark Seldek, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Do notice that the latest entries by the proprietor of the site were made in 2014. The original owner has apparently passed away in the meantime. As King would say, the world has moved on.

The point you make about evidence is very good though. I'd applaud this site if for each entry proof would be presented. That would allow the reader to determine whether or not the proof is actually compelling. Now it just feels like bad-mouthing, which I agree with @ExTended is slander pure and simple.

2. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Man, I bet when Mark Thomson/Adam Seldek opened this thread, he did not anticipate it to take off this way. I can only wish a thread about my book would have this many responses. Clearly, his strategy is working, I need to get in on this. *takes notes*

3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

"The Awakening of the Power!"

What was this book written by Dragonforce or 3 Inches of Blood?

4. Davis Ashura

Davis Ashura Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

The thread did take off, but that doesn't really help the OP. His purpose was to probably generate interest/readers of his book. I don't think that happened. In fact, I think the opposite occurred.

5. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Thanks Silvion. While I'm read about Howey, I'm thinking I don't care. Howey is a great writer/author. That's all that matters.

6. Silvion Night

I suppose. I'm glad that I read the Wool series before I read the stuff on that website though. It just feels bad knowing that excellent authors like ABatch and Antiquated are struggling to reach readers and get reviews while you see someone else achieving success by illicit or unethical means. Kind of makes me angry.

7. Tanniel

Well, my post was intended to be read with thick sarcasm, I guess that didn't get conveyed.

8. Silvion Night

The Danish are known to be notorious at sarcasm and irony. To be sure the meaning is conveyed on the forum we could agree on a smiley that signifies you're being sarcastic. How about this rarely used one: :lurking:?

9. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

You can finish your sarcastic post with /s
    That's what they do on reddit and internet in general.

Also that list and this whole thread with people listing unethical practices just makes me even more apprehensive about giving my time to self-published works. With few exceptions, I did and will continue to pass on these books.

10. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

What would you guys think about a note from the author at the front or back of a book begging readers to take the time to give their honest opinion in an Amazon and/or Goodreads review?

11. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Begging?
    That doesn't look good imo. Professionals or people who want to be seen as professionals don't beg.
    What any author needs to do is create big enough fanbase to make a living. But that's hard and takes time.

12. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

It'd put me off from reading it if I'm honest. I want to read an enticing blurb and see an awesome cover, with the story inbetween .. nothing else thank you.

13. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

It all comes to maximizing the lifetime cost of a reader.

Begging is bad, but pleasantly reminding the readers to leave a review if they liked your books could be huge in the long run. Same with having a link to your newsletter at the end of your book. The first thing helps in acquiring more readers, the second - with selling more to the ones you already have. And both things are free for the author and come as a reward for a job well done.

Making guest appearances in fellow author's newsletter is a nice way of reaching more people too, but you get to share their books too.

Marketing books done right benefits both the author and the reader.

Something else you could do - ask e-shops if they'll feature your books.

I own a small e-shop in the fantasy/fairy/wizarding niche aimed at book lovers. Someday I'd probably go on an market my own fantasy books to my newsletter list - it consist 100% of people who've bought from the shop at least once. In half a year or a year I'd probably go on an feature some trad published/self-published fantasy books that would be similar to the stuff my newsletter people like. And get some easy Amazon commissions, while giving some good books free exposure to targeted traffic.

I know people who own similar small shops - aimed at steampunk, urban-fantasy geeks, etc. I don't think any of them would mind sending a book recommendation newsletter once every quarter. But authors are afraid to ask, I suppose. Or haven't figured it out yet.

It's far easier spamming in fantasy forums. :)

14. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

If you're selling well, you should ignore my advice to leave the KU program. I guess I was equating lack of reviews to lack of sales. I didn't know you were selling well. I guess it would be selling/borrowing well.

15. ABatch

ABatch Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I wouldn't say I'm selling well. I'm selling. Just enough to keep my advertising going. Certainly not making any kind of profit.

16. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I didn't actually mean on one of the covers. Does it bother you when an author includes a Forward or Preface?

17. TomTB

Not at all, but it would come across as a bit desperate if there was a request for a review.

I usually skip the "Ted grew up in Ohio and has 2 dogs" bits, so if there was anything that took it a step further and actually requested something from me beyond simply paying for the book, then I imagine I'd stubbornly not do as requested purely out of principle.

18. Tanniel

That's not a bad idea; communication in general is just a commonly agreed upon interpretation of random symbols and sounds anyway.

Btw. that smiley looks so cool, I can't understand it isn't used more! :lurking:

... did it work?

19. TomTB

So has anyone bought this book yet?

20. Silvion Night

More or less. I'm cynical by heart so I just assume every post on this forum is either sarcastic or written with ironic intent.

Anyways, as to begging for reviews: I agree this is pathetic. How about threatening people? Like in the afterword of a really cool book it would say: "if I don't get 2000 reviews on this by the end of the year I won't finish the series".

Come to think of it: could it be that Rothfuss and GRRM have followed through on similar threats that we just didn't know about?