Emotional Recommendations

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
My favourite book (as I've stated quite a few times now) is Gormenghast. It's the only book that's ever made me cry (although the unofficial excuse was a stray eyelash caught in my eye!). This is why I loved it so much though, the emotional attachment to the characters made it so so memorable.

Can anyone recommend other similar fantasy books? Not similar in style/content to Gormenghast, but similar in emotional experience? Guess I'm looking for another book that will really pull on my heartstrings. Has anyone else ever gotten an eyelash caught in their eye reading a fantasy novel/series?

btkong

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
These should have what you are looking for:

The Farseer trilogy by Hobb (and the sequel trilogy)
Tigana by Kay
The Name of the Wind (Patrick Rothfuss)
The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
Transformation (Rai Kirah) by Carol Berg
The Bone Doll's Twin (Tamir Trilogy, Book 1) by Lynn Flewelling
The Empire Trilogy by Janny Wurtz (and Feist) -- has some VERY poignant moments
Seven Waters trilogy by Juliet Marillier
The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle
Donaldsons Mordant's Need duology
Memory, Sorrow & Thorn by Tad Williams -- they start off very very slow
Ursula LeGuin - The Earthsea Trilogy

João Ribeiro

These should have what you are looking for:

The Farseer trilogy by Hobb (and the sequel trilogy)
Ursula LeGuin - The Earthsea Trilogy
Definitely agree with the Earthsea Trilogy. I read them a few (like ten or so) years ago and Sparrowhawk really caught my attention.

You can also "feel" Fitz's pains in the Farseer Trilogy.

Lev Daert

Philosophizes with Kellhus
The chronicles of thomas covenant, been a while since I last read them but I remember being quite teary eyed at the caamora of the ghost-giants. That part was pretty powerful.
of course most people might not like reading Covenant. since he's such an unlikeable fellow and all that.
Also Most things written by brandon sanderson, there's always a connection with the characters in a very short time.

The thing that really gets me going is heroic self-sacrifice though. lots of fantasy novels have those so I periodically have a good tugging on my heart-strings.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've read Farseer and Thomas Covenant (the first trilogy); and I fully agree with your recommendations! The characterisation in Farseer is superb (Regal has to be the most despicable character in fantasy literature?), and the emotional journey TC goes through is superbly written. I understand why people say they hate him so much, but this is what makes the books so great! Thanks for the other recommendations guys!!!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Regal has to be the most despicable character in fantasy literature?
Good call. Probably worse than Joffery!

I third, fourth, fifth Farseer and Tawny Man trilogy.

Antoxx

Good call. Probably worse than Joffery!

I third, fourth, fifth Farseer and Tawny Man trilogy.
I concur on Farseer and Tawny Man. The actor on GoT is such a little snot that he makes me loathe Joffrey more than Regal though!

epicfantasyfreak

Anything by Guy Gavriel Kay - the dude's books are intensely emotional. They're also highly grounded in history, his settings being close parallels to our own history, so that may not be your thing on that front. But he's one of my favorite writers. Lois McMaster Bujold's Chalion series is a close second, but again, it's got that history thing going.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Tawny Man more for me than Farseer. One scene in particular in book 2. Closest I have come to crying as a grown man reading a book. I was in bed reading it and about lost it when... the thing happened. :cry: THE FEELS, OH THE FEELS

Jon Snow

Staff member
Tawny Man more for me than Farseer. One scene in particular in book 2. Closest I have come to crying as a grown man reading a book. I was in bed reading it and about lost it when... the thing happened. :cry: THE FEELS, OH THE FEELS

Ah been so long since I've read them. Which part was it?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Legacy, I totally lost it when that happened. lol. My husband thought I was crazy.
I can't remember the last time I cried when reading a book. Books definitely affect my moods, especially depressing ones, but I guess I'm just not one for outward displays of emotion. Even though I live alone so there's no judgment from others to worry about (only, perhaps, confusion from my cats). I mean, I remember reading most of these scenes you all are talking about. Ah, well, it's probably some defect in me. :)

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I think I'm just getting more sentimental as I get older. Never used to cry out loud for books. Now I cry for some commercials. lol
In another thread, I think you said you were a woman in her 30s. I am, too (though I am not married and have no kids).

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member

moonspawn

There was some very intense moments during the Liveship Traders; it moves like a soap opera. Pretty much anything by Robin Hobb is probably going to be super emotional.

Jon Snow

Staff member
l3gacy

Right, I was super sad as well at the end of Assassin's Apprentice. You know when what's it's face reappears and then disappears again.