End of an era.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
Terry Pratchett has shuffled off this mortal coil.

That's a damn shame.

“THAT’S MORTALS FOR YOU, Death continued. THEY’VE ONLY GOT A FEW YEARS IN THIS WORLD AND THEY SPEND THEM ALL IN MAKING THINGS COMPLICATED FOR THEMSELVES. FASCINATING.”
Mort

Boreas

Staff member
That's a damn shame. And I just got myself a couple of his novels. I was thinking of trying them out for years, but never took the plunge. I'll start one of them in his honour by the beginning of next month. I got "Strata" and "The Colour of Magic".

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte

That's a damn shame.

Mort
Very sad news. He was so brilliant. Shit,hate talking about him in the past tense. His discworld novels will always be near and dear to me. I do wonder if he saw Death. SPEAKING LIKE THIS

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

That's a damn shame.

Mort
Argh, that's sad news indeed. He was a terrific author with a great sense of humour. He will be sorely missed.

wakarimasen

He lived not a million miles from me. I remember a few years back someone shot a swan with a crossbow, it made the local news. Terry put up a £1000 as a reward for finding the killer. My youngest is named Esme after Granny Weatherwax. It's hard to explain what an absolute star my family think he was. He had such a great grasp of the human condition and such a great answer to it... laugh at it, it's stupid.

Boreas

Staff member
It's hard to explain what an absolute star my family think he was. He had such a great grasp of the human condition and such a great answer to it... laugh at it, it's stupid.
No, it's not. By all accounts I'm going to end up really liking his books.

wakarimasen

By all accounts I'm going to end up really liking his books.
I would say so. There's more to them than first inspection, especially some of the later ones, but they are all enjoyable.
Don't know which one it was but, since my teens, I always paraphrase him when I think someone is really going for it:
"...like a horny rhinoceros on bad acid."

Boreas

Staff member
There's more to them than first inspection, especially some of the later ones, but they are all enjoyable.
Those are the best kind of books. Where the rewards are even greater with further rereads. Same with the works of the other dearly sublimed.

Griffin

He will be sorely missed. I'm looking forward to continue reading his Discworld novels. As a I reader this is all we can do, remember him through his work.

ofer

:(

I've read almost all of his books. Some of them (especially the middle Discworld books, from Witches Abroad to Jingo) way more then once.
I remember back in the 1990's, before Amazon, how happy I was every time his new paperback hit the stores. I kept buying them even though back then I couldn't afford it.

His books made so many people happy in so many ways.

wakarimasen

I was every time his new paperback hit the stores.
Yeah - once I'd caught up with the back catalogue they were always a standard Christmas present. I think one year my wife, my father in law and I all bought and received a copy of The Truth from each other. Nobody minded the duplication because it wasn't Christmas without Pratchett. I'll never look at a dribbly candle the same way again.

SparklingLu

Philosophizes with Kellhus
So sad... I still imagine camels doing math, since when i read Pyramidis in middle school... That made me laugh so hard...
Really sad :(

Axcellence

A farm boy with a sword
Sorry to see him go.

Loved his books. Read the entire discworld series, which is brilliant.

It's a shame he went to alzeihmer..

He was such a unique writer... With so much humor in his writing.

It doesn't stop being magic just because you know how it works.
WHERE'S MY COW? ARE YOU MY COW?

Buffy V Slayer

Knows Who John Uskglass Is
Just read the news on CBC. Very sad. His daughter's tweets on his account right after his death were kind of a neat way to pay tribute to him. R.I.P. Mr. Pratchett.

atheling

A Poet of the Khaiem
I just saw this. I am sad.

but man, what a run: more than 70 books! and they sold like crazy!

dunebuggy

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Woke up and it hit me again but with the sadness,I remember all the times he made me laugh. Especially Nanny Ogg and Granny Weatherwax,love their relationship. And how she would make Granny upset,when she talks about her past,and all the wild oats she sowed. Aah,i'm going to think about all my favourite scenes and characters today

ReguIa

Yea this is so sad. I haven't read a book by him yet, but I think it's time I tried one. Discworld sound like so much fun.