Ever tell someone you like fantasy and...

Arya Stark

Philosophizes with Kellhus
They think you mean "sexy time" fantasy aka erotica? This happens a lot for me. I'm thinking maybe it's because I'm speaking to older people who don't read often. Who think all romance novels are soft core erotica. People who don't know fantasy is fantasy. It puts me in an awkward situation. I think somewhere along the line someone decided fantasy was a good word to use in place of erotica to sound less...erotic. This is mostly just ringing true in the south with older people. Friends from up north never misunderstand. Anyone else ever been in this boat?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
They think you mean "sexy time" fantasy aka erotica? This happens a lot for me. I'm thinking maybe it's because I'm speaking to older people who don't read often. Who think all romance novels are soft core erotica. People who don't know fantasy is fantasy. It puts me in an awkward situation. I think somewhere along the line someone decided fantasy was a good word to use in place of erotica to sound less...erotic. This is mostly just ringing true in the south with older people. Friends from up north never misunderstand. Anyone else ever been in this boat?
No, this hasn't happened for me. I expect it has something to do with having been in grad school for 6 years around other people who were familiar with fantasy to some degree (e.g., some actual fantasy fans, some people who had at least seen the LOTR movies, etc.). Although I don't talk much about my reading preferences these days outside this discussion board and sometimes on Amazon (except with the secretary at work who was reading The Blade Itself a couple of months ago).

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Nope, i don't really tell people much. Most of my friends aren't in to reading so it never really comes up.

Arya Stark

^^^I'm beginning to believe that's the case. I think they unwittingly admitted their secret pleasures. Although they generally look at me like I'm the pervert. The first question is always "Oh you mean those Fabio books?" So I assume they are just...uneducated. That and I know like one person that actually likes to read other than myself.

Hand of Fear

Journeyed there and back again
Only my partner and a close friend knows how much I enjoy reading Fantasy, it's not something I'm ashamed off it's just it never really comes up in topic with other people I work with or know. This is why I enjoy coming to these Forums so much because we all share the same love and passion for fantasy books !

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
^^^I'm beginning to believe that's the case. I think they unwittingly admitted their secret pleasures. Although they generally look at me like I'm the pervert. The first question is always "Oh you mean those Fabio books?" So I assume they are just...uneducated. That and I know like one person that actually likes to read other than myself.
Fabio hasn't even been on the cover of romance novels for years. (I don't read romance novels, but I comment on a lot of fake reviews of romance novels on Amazon. These days, shirtless male torsos seem to rule the day.)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Nope.
Only my boyfriend and few friends know I read fantasy. And as Hand said, it almost never comes up in conversation.
Few times it did, people seem unconnected to this genre and usually have a bias that all fantasy is LotR.
I don't care much to prove them wrong. Forums like this satisfy my need to discuss well enough.

João Ribeiro

Yes, and my reply is always:
"Yes, that too, but I was talking about Fantasy books!"

Arya Stark

People see me reading in the break room and ask about it. Then other times people see me reading at inappropriate social settings and ask about it. Or someone will ask me if I've read 50 shades Twilight etc. So when the topic comes up I generally tell them all about how I love fantasy. Before I can finish though I'm usually interrupted with the assumption of fantasy being erotica. As for Fabio... that just goes to show you the age group of women who assume this. The only thing they know is long locks and no shirt.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Then other times people see me reading at inappropriate social settings and ask about it.
I love this :)
You make the conversation starter inadvertently by trying to stay away from conversations? Isn't it a bit ironic? :D

Arya Stark

Hahaha yesss! It sucks sometimes because I'm really into my book! Some people need to learn respect!

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't really have any friends who read fantasy (although there are some 'acquaintances'), and I don't really talk to other folks about my love of fantasy, so no, I don't have that problem. That's why I love coming here I guess, so I can release my inner geek and talk book! I work in the construction industry ffs, if I opened up about fantasy I'd get buried in some foundation excavation or something ....

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I get that crap every time I pull out my kindle paperwhite out in public. Someone always wants to know how I like it, do I read a lot, blah blah bla. Motherfucker if I wanted to talk to strangers about electronics on the bus I wouldn't be sitting in the back reading my kindle, go away.

moonspawn

I've decided it's best I stay away from people who have an aversion to reading. Chances are I'll make better friends that way and I have. I'll be blunt and say that I honestly do not like people who don't like reading (this includes family members). I seriously don't understand people who can sit there and watch television all day, but yet picking up a book is like picking up a weapon of mass destruction. To answer your question though, I'm really unsure what this thread is about. I've never ever heard of people equating fantasy literature with erotic EVER! This is fucked up idiocy at it's worst. As far as I know when you say fantasy, people think wizards, elves, dwarves, dragons, medieval ages, vampires - stuff like dungeons and dragon, twilight, Eragon, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Game of Thrones, etc.

Sir Arthur

I don't really have any friends who read fantasy (although there are some 'acquaintances'), and I don't really talk to other folks about my love of fantasy, so no, I don't have that problem. That's why I love coming here I guess, so I can release my inner geek and talk book! I work in the construction industry ffs, if I opened up about fantasy I'd get buried in some foundation excavation or something ....
I also work in construction, but have no problem telling coworkers I read fantasy, play World of warcraft, ride bicycles, enjoy time with my family, and all sorts of " unmanly" stuff.LoL. I even admit to things like being pro gun control. Just last week I was told to " go smoke some patchouli you fucking hippie". I have no problem being different than all the rednecks and religious zealots I work with.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I have no problem being different than all the rednecks and religious zealots I work with.
Well, sometimes I feel that way too. One day we were having lunch in the conference room at work (we have monthly birthday/work anniversary lunches) and I found out I work with a bunch of people who are REALLY into guns. I just stayed out of that conversation. (If anyone had asked, I'd've said I was happy with my dog and my security system and left it at that.) Same way I stay out of all discussions of politics in the workplace, which is becoming increasingly difficult as one of the lawyers is planning to run for US Senate. (He's not going to make it past the primary, but that's a separate issue.) I choose my battles, and my current one happens to be about food (I've been a vegetarian for 20 years and everyone I work with eats lots and lots of meat).

I don't fit in, in the South. No two ways about it.