Fantasy Overdose...

moonspawn

Journeyed there and back again
There's a class of reader out there that likes to yell, all crotchety and shaking their fists, "it's all about character" out there, and well, I'll take the "opposite" stance - it's all about plot. I can mentally insert characterization into a novel that has a great plot - I can't insert a plot where one doesn't exist, and the last thing I want to do is spend 20+ pages swimming around in your character's head while you try to get the point across that they're very sad about their friend dying without actually saying that, when you could have just said - the character is very sad about their friend dying and got on with it...
I get bored by character lamentations as well but I disagree on your point about plot mainly because when a story is character driven instead of plot driven, the entire framework of the novel feels much more complete and intricate. So in other words the character's decisions should hopefully make the plot great and if there isn't much of a plot to begin with.... then screw it. Hm.... now that I think about it that point you just raised is one of the main reasons I was discontented with Name of the Wind so maybe I don't disagree with you.

epicfantasyfreak

"Musashi" by Eiji Yoshikawa (translated by Charles S. Terry)
I tried to find this in my local library system, but it's not there. I still want to give it a try though, so will be placing a request for a library loan for that one...
"Waiting for the Barbarians" by J. M. Coetzee
But I found this one in the local system, tried it, and didn't like it at all. This was pretty much the exact opposite of what I was looking for.
"Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follet
I watched the show on this one and if the show stuck pretty close to the books on that one, I don't have any interest in reading this one either.
;)
Thanks for the recommendations though Boreas!

Boreas

Staff member
I tried to find this in my local library system, but it's not there. I still want to give it a try though, so will be placing a request for a library loan for that one...
I have it as an ebook. I could email it to you if you want.

But I found this one in the local system, tried it, and didn't like it at all. This was pretty much the exact opposite of what I was looking for.
Fair enough. I found it hard to get into, too. The first time, I couldn't get further than the first chapter. The only reason I tried again was because I had previously read Coetzee's "Disgrace" and had really, really liked it. After getting used to the style of "Waiting for the Barbarians", I found it to be a rewarding read.

As for "Pillars of the Earth", I never saw the TV adaptation. The book was certainly entertaining.