Fantasy races

Scorpio1990

Has been in the eye of the world
A question for your inner child! What fantasy race and why? For me it's definitely dwarves/dwarfs depending on what you read. I love them, tough, good with their hands, awesome looking in armour, love battle and a drink!

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Dryads, I'm a tree person.

rajwible

Helped Logen count his fingers
Honestly, it seems the characters that usually end up being my favourites are humans. More relatable in some situations? Maybe.
My unanalytical answer: dragons. Does that count? Is that a race? o_O

samalam_91

Mixes poisons and sharpens knives with Kylar

Amaryllis

In what context? In MMOs I will always gravitate toward the small, cute race, particularly the one that's treated as a joke. In single player rpgs I will usually go human or elf.

Philosophically, I like elves and fae and the reasoning and narrative behind them. The problem is that the majority of written works featuring them do not do them very well (often just humans BUT BETTER, Native American or hippy analogues, 'standard fantasy' checkboxes, jokes, or not related to their namesake/inspiration in the slightest).

In practice, most of the characters I like are human because fantasy races tend to either be overindulgences, or have completely inadequate description that renders their being a different race completely pointless.

However, I will echo the above post and say that if dragons count, I vote for them. Little easier to not screw up too much as well (although many authors still find a way).

MrMarbles

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
My two favorites are ents and dark elves. I went through a LORT-is-the-best phase young, then a Drizzt-is-badass phase, after. Both races have stuck with me, although I also am partial to the Jhagut, and T'lan Imass.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I like the T'lan Imass and the Jhagut, same as @MrMarbles. However, my favorite race is...

... humans. I really can't help it. I read many, many fantasy books and series, bit the most interesting race to me is humanity. With all its flaws and shortcomings. For us no longevity (like the Elves) or sturdiness (like the Dwarfs). No flight (like the dragons) and no super strength (like giants). None of these things apply. What does apply? The fact that humans are relatable. Their hopes, dreams, drives and fears are known; they're the same ones we have. That's why my favorite characters are (more or less) human in nature. Fiddler, Kalam, Karsa (not really human, but not to dissimilar), Glokta, Logen Ninefingers, Boromir, Fitz, Tyrion, Jaime and the list goes on and on. All great, relatable characters, high on my favorite characters list.

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
... humans. I really can't help it. I read many, many fantasy books and series, bit the most interesting race to me is humanity. With all its flaws and shortcomings. For us no longevity (like the Elves) or sturdiness (like the Dwarfs). No flight (like the dragons) and no super strength (like giants). None of these things apply. What does apply? The fact that humans are relatable. Their hopes, dreams, drives and fears are known; they're the same ones we have. That's why my favorite characters are (more or less) human in nature. Fiddler, Kalam, Karsa (not really human, but not to dissimilar), Glokta, Logen Ninefingers, Boromir, Fitz, Tyrion, Jaime and the list goes on and on. All great, relatable characters, high on my favorite characters list.
Well, I agree with you completely. Humans are the most reliable race out there for us, humans. ;) I always play as a human in RPGs. Should we consider them a "fantasy race" tho? :p Cause if we do consider them a fantasy race, I'd like to change my vote to humans ... with warhammers. :D

Nuomer1

Honestly, it seems the characters that usually end up being my favourites are humans. More relatable in some situations? Maybe.
My unanalytical answer: dragons. Does that count? Is that a race? o_O
Humans - it has to be humans because all other races are stereotypes derived from a subset of human behaviours. Anything truly strange would probably be incomprehensible and therefore unreadable. Yes, even dragons (in literature, including the current batch of fantasy works) - Totally alpha/dominant etc. I don't write dragons. Or dwarves, or elves, or trolls, or unicorns. I think I can do without. On the other hand, my other hobby is woodcarving - and there I do work with dragons - they are fun!
This discussion needs to go over into SF as well as the Fantasy genre. Start with David Brin's Uplift Universe. Also think about Niven's Kzinti, and others from Known Space.

Anti_Quated

I'd go with humans. Noble savage trope most likely. That or anything animalistic; pure and pre/post-human. Anything that possess that raw, sultry instinct and mesmerising seductive power of primal ecstasy, be it serpentine, feline, or otherwise. Except cephalopods and their ilk, they're just fucking creepy.