Fantasy recommendation

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Andrew Lyngwa, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Erikson not qualifying as well written? Dear oh dear...

Start with Bakker. And don't you dare weep during because guess what there isn't, kappa? The COFFERS, boys.

2. Amaryllis

Amaryllis Journeyed there and back again

This is 100% R. Scott Bakker. Maybe not so much 'moral questioning,' since everybody in the series is a shit, but the guy made up his own world with extensive history and mythology, story has lots of politics, plenty of 'darkness' (he's probably the darkest fantasy I have ever read), and he's an amazing prose writer if you like fancy and literary.

I'm not sure how this squares with your new weird and your old school adventure pulp, so it's hard to come up with an extensive list of recommendation that aren't just 'I like this author, so hopefully you will too,' which is what a lot of replies are going to be.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. R.E.M. Verberg

R.E.M. Verberg A farm boy with a sword

Hi Andrew, I read this:

and thought of The Amber Chronicles by Robert Zelazny, which I finished last March. The books - no stand-alone book, alas - are a curious literary mix of mythology, philosophy, noir detective and fantasy. They take a bit of time to get into and the characters are oddly flat, but then they're allegories rather than flesh and blood characters so it sort of works. Once I'd gotten into the style I found myself completely swept away by the scope and originality of Zelazny's vision.

You may also like Dune by Frank Herbert?

As for more modern fantasy, I think most of the usual suspects have been named.

4. stenney

stenney Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

The Dagger and the Coin series by Daniel Abraham?

5. MorteTorment

MorteTorment Reluctantly made a Warden of the White Council

First of all, hey welcome to the forum.

Anyways, I'm not sure what I can recommend to you, as I'm not entirely sure what you're looking for perse.

I do however want to thank everyone here for making recommendations. Most if not everyone that's posted here has more than a few years worth of experience reading the stuff.

I guess I can try recommending my personal favorites. Just know that I usually prefer VERY DARK novels.

There's Night Angel(trilogy) by Brent Weeks. It's a trilogy about a man who starts off as young child in a thieves guild who wants more out of his life. He ends up becoming trained as an assasian. It's got some of the most compelling characters ever put in a book. And on a side note, the Author is a really nice guy who like sot interact with his fans.

And while I'm not a fan of it, his follow up series, Lightbringer is absolutely beloved here for very good reasons, and I can easily recommend it to most fantasy fans in general.

If you don't mind going outside of the medievil fantasy genre, there's the extremely popular, episodice urban fantasy series known as The Dresden Files. It's about the lovable, hilarious dork named Chicago wizard private eye named Harry Dresden. He's extremely powerful, which is more than made up by the fact that his enemies are usually several times more powerful than him, and he usually gets by JUST BARELY gets by by outsmarting his enemies, and with a bit of luck.

Then there's the cyberpunk dystopian fantasy Heroes Die. It's about this character named Caine who is a vampire in a virtual reality tv show. His ex-girlfriend is set to be killed off on the show(and in the virtual reality, when you die in vr, your die in rl.) and he secretly goes in to save her. You mentioned wanting a standalone, well, unfortunately I don't know of any standalone fantasy novels, but I can tell you that it's written in a way that gives you a very satisfying conclusion, and If I'm gonna be honest, I've never read the sequel because like I said, it gives such a satisfying conclusion. So it's the best I can give.

I hope this helped. If you'd like me to suggest more, just ask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

How many of you get the impression that most newbs here never read the lists which after all are the reason for the site? Maybe it's that the header here says home but there is no mention of what comprises home anywhere?

7. MorteTorment

I read it, it's a good list.

8. Darwin

Darwin Journeyed there and back again

I'm going to clean this up a bit:

1) Not cyberpunk
    2) No vampires
    3) Not a TV show
    4) Estranged wife, not an ex-girlfriend
    5) Not virtual reality
    6) Doesn't go in secretly, the whole world is watching.

You should still read it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MorteTorment

Wow, really? Man, I'm truly the master of not getting it. my several bads.

10. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

Maybe you shouldn't read so fast. ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Unlike Morte, the rest of us don't chuckle. We just flex our knuckles.

Because they get sore from holding books for too long.

I have arthritis now help

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. MorteTorment

I'm this way with everything. Video games, movies, tv shsows, oyu name it. Fully engaged in them, and I still miss a lot.

13. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

:arghh:
    Disagree with "good" lists. IMO, they're "FANTASTIC" . :p Some I've read so frequently you wouldn't believe me if I told you. IMO, they're far superior to all other lists. 95% of all the fantasy books I read come from these and forum members OPINIONS and insights as well. Sure beats standing in a bookstore and guessing.

Hey, while I really like/love 85% of the recommendations there are some I don't enjoy and a handful I've hated! I'm not so self absorbed as to think the books I dislike dont belong there because they didn't float my boat. I'm a part of the minority disagreeing.

Anyone criticizing another because they SHOULD like a book and something is wrong with them for not liking a "classic" can...well best not go there...;)

Sorry. Your post had nothing to do with this but presented the opportunity to get on a soapbox :spitoutdummy: and rant about a recurring issue rearing it's ugly head a lot lately. Ok...back to our regular scheduled programming.

• Like Like x 2
  14. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

No kidding, what's up with that? Even worse is what I consider the most illogical and dumb thing to say on a books forum, that you WON'T read a book, say GOT or WOT, because of what someone else said. Bragging about how smart you are to do that.

15. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Journeyed there and back again

Well, to be frank and to use your own words what you just said is "illogical and dumb". If a person were bragging about how smart they were they would NOT listen to anybody's feedback. They would figure it out for themselves .

When most people say something negative about a book they state their reasons. If they say it is extremely gritty, depressing, etc., and you do not like books like that why would you buy the book if the person is credible. IMO, most people here are. Some people just say a book is "wonderful". They do not state reasons. They must think they are the authorities on books and if it is a classic or they think it is great then everyone else is stupid if they do not like it. Those are the people I choose to tune out... except for entertainment purposes. ;) But people are entitled to their thinking errors.

16. Peat

Peat Journeyed there and back again

I really don't see anything wrong with wanting to use the forums here and not the lists, or the idea that the lists aren't for everyone. Besides, they appear to be down right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

I've never used the lists to choose a new read. I've browsed them, but I have disagreed with Ben on numerous books, so whilst I appreciate his opinion, it's one that I know isn't necessarily fully tuned into mine.

18. MorteTorment

I won't read WOT because I've read the first book and most of the middle didn't have to exist, I've been told by a lot of people that the entire series is that way, and that's enough for me to dismiss the entire series. GOT I respect the hell out of, but it's not about something that interests me. It's still something I recommend to others as it has a wide appeal for very good reasons.

That said, I never said it makes me intelligent for feeling that way, and I'd like you to point out where I said this. I just happen to have opinions on different books in the genre, and I'm not judging anyone personally for what they enjoy. I'm always glad that people can enjoy what they enjoy. So please, don't take it personally. I have no beef wih you, or anyone else on this forum, and I wish you all well. Many of you here I consider a friend.

So please, don't judge me, I'm not judging you.

• Like Like x 1
  19. MorteTorment

thank you!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017 at 6:33 AM
  20. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

There's 99.9999999999% chance that I will never read WoT either.
    I looked into it, informed myself what kind of series it is, the format, the issues, the good things about it, and concluded it's not my cup of tea.
    I have almost 800 books on my TBR list. WoT wont be missed.

I have also personally blacklisted few authors like Sanderson and N.K. Jemisin, with very slight chance of reading anything by them. They have put me of that much with what I have read from them.

We all make daily choices on what we want to read and what we will pass on, and nobody needs an excuse with what they do with their reading choices.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1