Fantasy Recommendations For Someone New To The Genre

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank you everybody for such wonderful recommendations :)

I've decided to check out the Gormenghast trilogy by Mervyn Peake. Not only did it pique my interest (sorry for the awful pun) but it turns out that I had all three books already on a bookshelf in my house. I asked my brother, mother, and my father and they have no idea where it came from. Oh well, good news for me! I took a look at the first chapter and it seems very descriptive, almost annoyingly so. However, I'm going to give it more of a chance. I'm hoping that this level of description will help me to become even more immersed than usual as the novel continues on. I also don't stop books half way through; I'll at least finish Titus Groan before I make too many judgements.
Really hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Fuschia Groan has been probably my favourite character in fantasy literature!

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Wow three pages with only a couple of Rothfuss recommendations, it's one of the better series out there, it takes him a while to get a book out, but I guarantee you'll love the first two books, it is, in my humble opinion, impossible not to love his books, third forthcoming... At some point, he's working on it. I've read the first two books at least 4 times and I still catch new bits every time.

The Malazan Book of The Fallen/Malazan Empire books can be a bit intimidating, it's at 15 books right now with at least seven more in the works, in the US, more books coming, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better series out there.

I'm making my way through the Dresden Files, it's a fun series that doesn't get too big like most epic fantasy series, the characters are well written, the story is pretty compelling, and best of all it's pretty unpredictable.

If you haven't read Sanderson's solo stuff do so, it requires your immediate attention.

Best to avoid big, brick sized books like Wheel of time, and start with a lighter stuff such as bulk novels from Wizards or Black Library.
-I mean many have abandoned fantasy just because they could not finish Fellowship of the Ring or the first Wheel of Time book over the summer vacation.

Belg

Fought a battle in the name of the old gods
I would start here: Top 25 Best Fantasy Books

This is a very good list covering a whole damn lot of the best fantasy outthere.

If you want to read a finished series, I would recommend Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson of The Farseer trilogy by Robin Hobb. There's only a few series on that list I have not enjoyed. If you want to read the most immense and amazing series, go for A Game of Thrones by GRR Martin (the HBO tv series). There's a reason it's listed as number 1. On the downside, it's not done and we'll probably have to wait another 10 years for him to finish, if he doesnt up his pace.

I wish you a merry christmas and welcome to the boards mate. Be sure to let us know what you decide to read and what you think of it afterwards.
I have been reading fantasy for Years... but it was main stream fantasy things like Goodkind, and Brooks, not to say i didnt find some good reads like David Gemmell, GRRM, Jordan, and others, but it was more luck i found those than anything... when i found this site i took the above recomendation and started reading the top 25 list. It was before the site had its big update, and the list was a little different, but im glad i did. so start with the top book/Series, and work your way down... you will be glad u did..