Favorite Anime?

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga' started by Jonathan Bowerman, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Jonathan Bowerman

Jonathan Bowerman Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg

Hello, all! What is your favorite anime, which anime are you currently watching, and what is your top 5 of ALL TIME anime?

Thanks!

2. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

My top pick so far has to be Shuumatsu no Izetta. Whilst you could tell towards the end that the studio had been a bit rushed, it sucked me in with an engaging storyline, characters I cared about and even managed to keep me completely off-balance for the entire runtime.

My current seasonals are Konosuba, RWBY, and Youjo Senki. All worth a look.

As to all time top picks, that's hard. I've given my number 1 pick already, so others worth mentioning would be Noucome, Re:Zero, Akame ga Kill!, Keijo, and JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. For JoJo, Part 3 is the best one adapted to anime so far.

3. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

Ghost in the shell
    Cowboys bebop
    FLCL

4. Maark Abbott

Oh yeah. I finished Momo Kyun Sword the other week and started on Lostorage Incited WIXOSS. MKS is very much an adventure battle anime with a lot of fanservice but Haruka Chisuga did the op/ed themes which was really why I watched it, and it did genuinely become decent near the end.

LIW is a card battle anime, which is why I put off watching it for a bit (the strong animation caught my eye). I've been surprised by how good it actually is - ostensibly, the MC gets into the game as a way to combat loneliness and is trying to find her childhood best friend who rejects her thoroughly. I'm halfway done with the series now and it's setting up to be a heartbreaker.

5. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

Attack on Titan
    Berserk
    One Punch Man
    Fate Zero
    Naruto

6. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Got in a fistfight with Dresden

For me, it is detective conan.
    I know the series is quite of repetitive, but I love the world.

7. Maark Abbott

I just finished School Days and hot mother of DAMN that got dark at the end.

8. Andy Kroll

Andy Kroll A Muggle

Man, that's a tough question!

My favorite anime of all time has got to be Outlaw Star! Old, but definitely a classic.

My favorite that I'm watching is probably Konosuba or Haikyuu! Both are great, although some don't care for sports animes so much.

Top 5 of all time (other than Outlaw Star and in no particular order)
    1) To Aru Majutsu No Index / To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (I really like in-depth stories and parallel stories)
    2) The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    3) Denno Coil
    4) Trigun
    5) Noragami

9. Vasher

Vasher Helped Logen count his fingers

Top 5 requires more thought power than I'm willing to use right now. I will say that my number one will always be FLCL. I just saw it at the perfect age and every time I've re-watched it over the years it's held up. It's just such a fantastic coming of age story with amazing music, a great sense of humor, and style for days. I also loved Escaflowne, Death Note, Trigun, and Mushishi. The only anime I've seen in the past few years that really stuck with me at all is Your Lie in April.

10. Noor Al-Shanti

Noor Al-Shanti Philosophizes with Kellhus

I'm currently watching ReZero.

Hmmmm... I don't know if I've really watched enough to make a top 5 list, but let me rank the ones I've seen and enjoyed:

1) HunterxHunter
    2) Naruto (with a lot of filler skipping near the end of Shippuden!)
    3) Attack on Titan
    4) One Punch Man
    5) Seki-Kun: Master of Killing Time

But really, I love Miyazaki's Anime most of and will re-watch those endlessly. Especially Nausicaa and Conan boy in Future. :)

11. S. K. Inkslinger

S. K. Inkslinger Will likely be killed by a Lannister soon

Steins Gates, certainly! It's the finest scifi, time-traveling masterpiece I've ever come across.

12. Carl

Carl Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Don't watch them anymore - but back in day (1980s-90s) I was really hooked onto the 'robot' based anime shows and manga comicbooks.
    ROBOTECH
    ROBOTECH GENESIS
    NINJA ROBOTS
    EVANGELION
    Also
    Ghostsweeper
    You are under Arrest (YAUA)
    Dragon Ball Z

Good old stuff... :android:

13. Kalavan

Kalavan Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Didn't watch an anime in years, anyway my top 5, in no particular order, would be:

Monster
    Tenkuu non Escaflowne
    Steins; Gate
    Berserk (the late '90s one)
    Neon Genesis Evangelion

special mentions for Gankutsuou, Rurouni Kenshin and Planetes

14. Maark Abbott

Some new recommendations:

School-Live!
    WorldEnd (SukaSuka, or What Do You Do at the End of the World? Are You Busy? Will You Save Us?)
    KonoSuba
    Aho-Girl!
    Sakura Quest
    The Ancient Magus' Bride looks like it could be very good

15. CelestialAeon

CelestialAeon A farm boy with a sword

Oh boy, so many to choose from...

Anything from Hayao Miyazaki, pure brilliance.

Samurai X / Kenshin OVA is one of the best animes I've seen, seriously recommended. Four part series that goes through the bakumatsu era with Kenshin. Soundtrack is sublime as well.

RahXephon was something I enjoyed a lot. Good romance, interesting scifi elements. Sure, it was Neon Genesis Evangelion copy, but a good one.

Trigun had a good balance between slapstick and serious stuff

Patlabor 2 was refreshing combination of detective story and politics

Haibane Renmei - really interesting world and atmosphere

16. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

I'm adding puellas magi modoka magicka, not in my favs, but as one of the best well made animes.

Rules. I'm going to lay it down like it was for me. If you start you cannot form an opinion or stop until the credits roll on episode 3, (or end of first movie if you watch the condensed version) if you do not follow this I will not listen to you about it. Do not look it up or google it, this will deeply ruin it.

So for the first 2 1/2 I tried clawing my eyes out, go ahead and curse my name, but remember its worth it. It's almost like two separate animes.

Spoiler for my spoiler, there I no reason to watch this if you read my spoiler , I literally will ruin the show.

so it starts like a groan worthy little girl anime, with tea parties and friendship. All trying to be magical girls.

It's like a well written better produced Japanese strawberry shortcake.

Then episode three and bam. Decapitation, drug use,harvesting souls, everything you know I a lie, that cute fluffy cat thing just gets creepier and creepier unable to die as it reveals that magical girls have a soul outside their bodies, which is really just a crop to be harvested. And it delves into some theories on how the world is, and why.

The animation is separated into three styles with separate music to go with each. Before, after, and witches realm (which looks like a crafts fair threw up, its really cool) with no knowledge one could watch some of first episode and a later, and not recognize them as the samd series

A major reason I'm raving about this one is that it completely caught me off guard, I never saw the change over coming. But also its so brilliantly done, it masters two completely different tones through all aspects of animation

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  17. Maark Abbott

See also:

Magical Girl Raising Project
    School-Live!

Spoiler tagged for the same reason as PMMM was up there. School-Live is fantastic, both in anime and manga forms.

18. justmarge

justmarge A Muggle

One Piece