Favorite Classic Games

Jonathan Bowerman

Hung out on a briar with Honorable Jorg
Hey all! I always find myself reminiscing about the games I played as a kid. I grew up in, arguably, the best decade of all times: The 80s! I experienced not only Caleco Vision (sp?) and Atari, but also NES, SNES, N64, and so on and so forth.

What were your favorite games growing up?

Mine:

NES: Hmmmm Id have to think about that one
SNES: Chrono Trigger
N64: Regular Old Mario 64
GameCube: Mario Sunshine
Xbox: Halo
Xbox 360: Minecraft
PS4: Uncharted

There are many more but those are a few. How about you!?!?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Some favorites of mine:

NES: Duck Hunt/ Mole Patrol = these games were awesome because you actually had to use a gun to shoot at your tv screen. Had hours of fun with those games.
NES: Ninja Gaiden (awesome Ninja game), Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
SNES: Mario Kart: one of the best games ever. Must have played it for thousands of hours.
SNES: Secret of Mana/Secret of the Evermore/Final Fantasy: great turn based RPGs.
N64: James Bond: Golden Eye: still the best shooter ever. I still play the converted version for the PC occasionally, although it doesn't have the same dynamics as playing split screen with 3 friends.
Playstation: Metal Gear Solid/Resident Evil 1+2/Gran Turismo 3/Tomb Raider 1 and.... Final Fantasy 7 --> the best turn-based RPG ever created.

EDIT: I wrote "James Bong" instead of "James Bond".

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Possibly the games I look back on with most affection are the Dizzy games (Magicland Dizzy, Treasure Island Dizzy etc). I absolutely adored them and played them for hours and hours. I had them on my Amiga A600 (which is still sat in a box in my attic). Oh, and Sensible Soccer ... the best football game of all time .. Ruud Gullit up front every time :)

Bierschneeman

Journeyed there and back again
Doom
CIVILIZATION I I
Dig dug
Heavy Barrel
Super Mario Bros

Jonathan Bowerman

Some favorites of mine:

NES: Duck Hunt/ Mole Patrol = these games were awesome because you actually had to use a gun to shoot at your tv screen. Had hours of fun with those games.
NES: Ninja Gaiden (awesome Ninja game), Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles
SNES: Mario Kart: one of the best games ever. Must have played it for thousands of hours.
SNES: Secret of Mana/Secret of the Evermore/Final Fantasy: great turn based RPGs.
N64: James Bond: Golden Eye: still the best shooter ever. I still play the converted version for the PC occasionally, although it doesn't have the same dynamics as playing split screen with 3 friends.
Playstation: Metal Gear Solid/Resident Evil 1+2/Gran Turismo 3/Tomb Raider 1 and.... Final Fantasy 7 --> the best turn-based RPG ever created.

EDIT: I wrote "James Bong" instead of "James Bond".
Lol James bong! But srsly, I totally forgot ninja turtles for NES! Epic game

Jonathan Bowerman

Anti_Quated

Some favorites of mine:
I concur. I'd also add in Silent Hill, Blood Omen, Wild Arms (second to FF7), Abe's Oddysee, and Tenchu:Stealth Assassins on PS because they were so damn good.
I've a soft spot for Golden Axe III, Flashback, Streets of Rage, Strider, and Sunset Riders among the Mega Drive greats.
Super Metroid was probably my favourite SNES game.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I concur. I'd also add in Silent Hill, Blood Omen, Wild Arms (second to FF7), Abe's Oddysee, and Tenchu:Stealth Assassins on PS because they were so damn good.
I've a soft spot for Golden Axe III, Flashback, Streets of Rage, Strider, and Sunset Riders among the Mega Drive greats.
Super Metroid was probably my favourite SNES game.
Aah, see, I forgot Abe's Oddysee and Silent Hill. I played those games for hours on end.

Kalavan

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth 2: Soulblighter, brilliant strategy games with the most captivating setting and narration I've ever found in a videogame - heavily inspired by Glen Cook's Black Company

Ryan W. Mueller

I was a big fan of Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Super Mario RPG, and Earthbound, all for the SNES. I've since played a couple remakes of the Final Fantasy games I somehow missed out on. I like them, but they don't give me that nostalgic childhood feeling.

For multiplayer games, I really enjoyed Mario Kart 64, Goldeneye, and Perfect Dark, all for the N64.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

Oh yes, those were the days....

Ultima II and III on my Commodore 64 ....
Elite
Seven Cities of Gold
Mail Order Monsters
Archon

Nuomer1

Ultima II and III on my Commodore 64 ....
Only about 5 years ago the drop-in desk at my local tax office had a ticket-based queuing system, with the tickets printed by a Commodore 64 under the reception desk. It had been there since the early 1980s, and they didn't dare turn it off because no-one knew how to get it started again.

Maark Abbott

Super Metroid
Super Mario All Stars / World
Chrono Trigger
Seiken Densetsu 3 (Square's last good rpg)
Dungeon Keeper
C & C: Tiberian Sun (freeware now)

Maark Abbott

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Noor Al-Shanti

Dueled with Lord Voldemort
Tetris.
Also, not sure if this counts as "classic" but Rayman 3: Hoodlum Havoc is pretty much the most awesome game in my opinion.