Favourite Fantasy Cliches

Matticus Primal

Journeyed there and back again
I do love a good framed story. I think Pratchett does them very well (although its not the traditional frame of The Princess Bride).
I can't tell you how much I hate 90% of frame stories. Mainly because no one can really pull it off. Short of Princess Bride of course, which somehow managed to pull it off in both movie and book form.

Peat

I can't tell you how much I hate 90% of frame stories. Mainly because no one can really pull it off. Short of Princess Bride of course, which somehow managed to pull it off in both movie and book form.
All the more reason to like them sez I ;)

I like how Slaine is framed in the comic, the whole left over narrator telling the history. Good mythic resonance.

Bierschneeman

Wait, do you mean framed as in they are framed for a crime or framed in that it's a story within a story?
I think he means story within since I was just talking about it.

the framed story. it is constantly used in fantasy genre .
examples of framed fantasy stories include, Gulliver's Travels, The Sargossa Manuscript, The Baron Munchausen (multiple books), Rip Van Winkle, The Seventh Seal (okay thats a movie), several Tolstoy and Faust stories most of which involve the devil or witches, the princess bride, Millenium Actress (another movie), and the extreme bulk of fantasy and scifi movies and books that start with "once upon a time" or with a narrator that is telling the audience in words that make you think the narrator is telling the tale of events from some time afterward.
Such an overused cliche of story structure, you can almost not even read fantasy if you hate it and avoid it.