February 2013: What Fantasy book are you reading?

tychobrahe1

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Completed Macht trilogy fast quick paced perfect for military fantasy lovers.
There was a lack of hand to hand fighting though . Would have loved it if there was a proper duel between Corvus and the emperor

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
There was a lack of hand to hand fighting though . Would have loved it if there was a proper duel between Corvus and the emperor
Welcome to the boards! I've never read any Paul Kearney. Good to see a member with a different taste to recommend!

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I thought that was one of the rare instances where the second book in the trilogy was the best one. Although yeah, great for military fantasy lovers. Kearney is underappreciated.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Just finished reading the Daylight War( my friend was kind enough to lend his ARC to me ). Overall good book, fast paced, to the point and mostly awesome. The language(which i can only call some kind of gutterspeak ) reaaalllly started to bug me in the beginning but you move on.

Also, Brett may have redefined the word Cliffhanger
WHAT an ending 0_o . Now i get to curse my life for the next ~2 years while i wait for the next in the series to come out -_-.
Someone invent time travel already

João Ribeiro

Journeyed there and back again
Almost finished with The Way of Kings.

Now let me go through the "Sanderson list"
Magically system thoroughly imbedded with religion - check
Plucky female character that doesn't fit in with her society - check
Male character that is outside society and is uber dangerous - check
Male character that is cast aside from society and will likely be a mega hero at the end of the story - check

So even with a check on every item of the checklist of things that occur in every book from Elantris to Alloy of Law Sanderson still has me begging for the second book.... right now.

He seems to continue using his usual traits and improving them exponentially.

I'm still quite fond of Mistborn but I must say that the hype around The Way of Kings is completely justified and it may topple Mistborn from my favorite's list.

tychobrahe1

Brandon Sanderson takes on way too many side projects from comPleting
The wheel of time to starting his own heavy weight fantasy series not that am complaining

João Ribeiro

Brandon Sanderson takes on way too many side projects from comPleting
The wheel of time to starting his own heavy weight fantasy series not that am complaining
Right now I can't complain about anything that Sanderson writes. I haven't read the Wheel of Time but I expect 10400+ pages of fun. It's on my to read list for 2013 but before that I want to read the first three books of the Demon Cycle.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Just started reading The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. So far its been a roller coaster ride of strong characters, blood , superbly scripted combat and general awesomeness ( and im only 80 pages in!!! ).
Yeeeeaaaahhhhh!!

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Finished up with Red Seas Under Red Skies. Meh. I usually tear through books and this one took me well over a week. Starting the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. Kinda urban fantasyish. Think Jack Reacher with monsters.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've just finished Gardens of the Moon, and absolutely loved it! I got so immersed in the world that's being put together, and am so excited for the rest of the series! There were a few "hang on a second" moments, where I had to go back a few pages to re-read a storyline or check who a character was, but this didn't hinder my enjoyment in the slightest. Going to start Deadhouse Gates tonight! And noticed on Wiki that all but 3 of the main Erikson books are over 1000 pages long. With these and the others in the series, I've got a feeling these are gonna be keeping me busy well into 2014 =)

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
All done with the Daylight War. Review is written and should be posted today or tomorrow. Great book! Also, totally with you on the ending, Haven.

I guess I am going to pick up Feist again and polish the rest of his books off, since Magician's End is coming in a couple months. I've got Rides a Dread Legion up next, followed by At the Gates of Darkness, A Kingdom Besieged, A Crown Imperiled, and finally Magician's End when that comes out.

Derk of Derkholm

Finally on "Memory of Light", yay!

Guess it will be a long evening for me today...

Regards,
Andy

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
Derk, post in the book club if you want. Glad you made it through to the end-- the payoff is pretty good, despite what Ben says :)

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Just finished the Red Knight by Miles Cameron. In a word, AWESOME. This is one book you should definitely read if you're a fan of (good) swordfighting and intelligent use of magic along with a good plot and well fleshed out characters with a hefty sprinkling of blood,gore and satisfying violence.

One of the few books in which the nuances of swordfighting,plate armor and its associated aftereffects are thoroughly explored and actually seem plausible( The author is a military veteran and does extensive re-enactments ).

With 4 more books incoming,this series is going into my best reads pile.

Daianmixx

Finished ,,Bridge of Birds,, - very different type of fantasy: serious problems treated in a lighthearted manner.

Few quotes for your edification:

,,...first Duke of Ch'in, who took over the empire in the Year of the Rat 2,447 (221 B.C.). He was a remarkable reformer. Mass murderers are usually reformers, the abbot tells me, although not necessarily the other way around."

"For practical purposes the lake had no bottom at all, and Master Li turned bright red while he scorched the air with the Sixty Sequential Sacrileges with which he had won the all-China Freestyle Blasphemy Competition in Hangchow three years in a row. "

"Well, it's an idea, and even a bad idea is better than none," said Master Li. "Error can point the way to truth, while empty-headedness can only lead to more empty-headedness or to a career in politics. "

João Ribeiro

Just started the Warded Man. Still only 12% in and so the story is just starting but so far it's quite nice.

Although starting a book and already treating incest as a casual thing makes me wonder what will come along further on.

Hikerike

Owns a Ring of Power
Started my re-read of The way of kings 60 pages into it. Looking forward to it. I hope it has a similar re-read value as The name of the wind.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
Although starting a book and already treating incest as a casual thing makes me wonder what will come along further on.
I know, I am sorry if we haven't warned you. It was by far the worst thing in the book I promise and I know we all harp on about how great a book it is. I think the worst thing is that it's not the incest that makes it bad, it's the other part of it.

Trust me, i know it is bad, but it doesn't get worse then that, well no worse then most other books.

Sorry.

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Just finished Bridge of Birds and The Black Company.
Bridge of Birds was okay, quite an entertaining and lighthearted read...although it kind of changed Chinese history/mythology which made me a little confused.
The Black Company was okay too, although I found it quite hard to understand (anyone find that the way it was written made things progress really quickly?). Other than that it was entertaining. I really liked the plot especially with the Lady and the Taken, although, I didn't really like the end
where we found out who the white rose was...of course the 'child' was the only child mentioned in the actual book...
Anyways...off to find something else to read