February 2013: What Fantasy book are you reading?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Just finished Bridge of Birds and The Black Company.
Bridge of Birds was okay, quite an entertaining and lighthearted read...although it kind of changed Chinese history/mythology which made me a little confused.
Wow. I'd never heard of this book and 2people on the boards finish it within a couple of days of each.
The Black Company was okay too, although I found it quite hard to understand (anyone find that the way it was written made things progress really quickly?). Other than that it was entertaining. I really liked the plot especially with the Lady and the Taken, although, I didn't really like the end
where we found out who the white rose was...of course the 'child' was the only child mentioned in the actual book...
Anyways...off to find something else to read
Also, enjoyed The Black Company and yes took a while to get used to writing style and things certainly did whizz by but stil made for very good reading.

João Ribeiro

I know, I am sorry if we haven't warned you. It was by far the worst thing in the book I promise and I know we all harp on about how great a book it is. I think the worst thing is that it's not the incest that makes it bad, it's the other part of it.

Trust me, i know it is bad, but it doesn't get worse then that, well no worse then most other books.

Sorry.
No worries, I'm not in a "prude shocked state" and I'm quite enjoying the book overall. It has a nice setting with the recurring coreling attacks and the three main characters are cool, even though I've only read a chapter about Rojer, but Arlen and Leesha are quite nice.

It was more a comment on how many notches it takes the gritty sex up in contrast with, for example, the First Law. It had its sexual moments but it's kind of restrained and in context. Here it's more like a constant background with the Mothers themes and just goes rampant with everyone being a "horny fornicator".

Personally at this point I think the book could do without it but I'm not even halfway through the first book so I don't know how much weight it will have on the story. I just hope it doesn't degenerate into some mystical vaginal juice turning out to be a weapon against corelings or some other hentai shenanigan.

HazyJay

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
No worries, I'm not in a "prude shocked state" and I'm quite enjoying the book overall. It has a nice setting with the recurring coreling attacks and the three main characters are cool, even though I've only read a chapter about Rojer, but Arlen and Leesha are quite nice.

It was more a comment on how many notches it takes the gritty sex up in contrast with, for example, the First Law. It had its sexual moments but it's kind of restrained and in context. Here it's more like a constant background with the Mothers themes and just goes rampant with everyone being a "horny fornicator".

Personally at this point I think the book could do without it but I'm not even halfway through the first book so I don't know how much weight it will have on the story. I just hope it doesn't degenerate into some mystical vaginal juice turning out to be a weapon against corelings or some other hentai shenanigan.
I has been awhile since I read them but you should be safe, I don't remember any tentacles...

Daianmixx

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Wow. I'd never heard of this book and 2people on the boards finish it within a couple of days of each.

Bridge of Birds is no. 2 in ,,Best Stand Alone Fantasy Books,, - thas was my main reason i chose to read it.

After I read pretty much all reviews from ,,Best fantasy Books,, i trust Ben's opinions and tastes (which are sometimes quite different from other sites and blogs).

At this time, list and tops from site are my main source of inspiration for future readings.

I just finished Deadhouse Gates. I loved it!! This kind of fantasy is right up my alley. As others on here have said, it took me a while to get I to GOTM. After a 100 pages or so I was hooked. I'm looking forward to the rest of this series.

Right now I'm reading Warbreaker before I dive back into MBofTF.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
I just hope it doesn't degenerate into some mystical vaginal juice turning out to be a weapon against corelings .
That is just ridiculously gross. Now I am being all "prude shocked state" lol.

Unfortunately many people have commented on the constant horniness of the characters, thought the books ... so yea, this = warned.

and i am still so grossed out by that comment ^^ hahah SOOO gross.

Frizzo0133

I've just finished Gardens of the Moon, and absolutely loved it! I got so immersed in the world that's being put together, and am so excited for the rest of the series! There were a few "hang on a second" moments, where I had to go back a few pages to re-read a storyline or check who a character was, but this didn't hinder my enjoyment in the slightest. Going to start Deadhouse Gates tonight! And noticed on Wiki that all but 3 of the main Erikson books are over 1000 pages long. With these and the others in the series, I've got a feeling these are gonna be keeping me busy well into 2014 =)
It won't take you that long, lol, I thought I was in for a crazy long time getting through it, but it wound up taking me less than six months, Esslemont's stuff that was published up to that point included.

You were asking about a reading order earlier in the thread, I've addressed it a couple of times on the boards, but here's what I think the proper reading order for the series is:

Gardens of the Moon or Night of Knives (Night of Knives tells the tale of Shadowthrone and Cotillion, it's probably the weakest book in the series.)
Deadhouse Gates or Night of Knives (NoK could be the first book you read, but you'll get more out of it if you've read GotM first).
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
The Bone Hunters
Return of the Crimson Guard or Reapers Gale (interchangeable, if you need a break from Erickson's intensity Return of the Crimson Guard gets allot better as it goes along.)
Toll the Hounds
Stonewielder
Blood and Bone
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God (Do not break DoD and TCG up, they're one book that had to be broken in half due to the length.)

Esslemont's final novel will likely take place after TCG and Erickson has another trilogy coming, if you haven't met Karsa Orlong yet you're in for an uncomforatable treat.

Forge of Darkness is an anomaly, it is technically the earliest book in the series, but it there is so much that is revealed that will hit you with less impact if you read it first, that and it could all be a lie, lol.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
It won't take you that long, lol, I thought I was in for a crazy long time getting through it, but it wound up taking me less than six months, Esslemont's stuff that was published up to that point included.

You were asking about a reading order earlier in the thread, I've addressed it a couple of times on the boards, but here's what I think the proper reading order for the series is:

Gardens of the Moon or Night of Knives (Night of Knives tells the tale of Shadowthrone and Cotillion, it's probably the weakest book in the series.)
Deadhouse Gates or Night of Knives (NoK could be the first book you read, but you'll get more out of it if you've read GotM first).
Memories of Ice
House of Chains
Midnight Tides
The Bone Hunters
Return of the Crimson Guard or Reapers Gale (interchangeable, if you need a break from Erickson's intensity Return of the Crimson Guard gets allot better as it goes along.)
Toll the Hounds
Stonewielder
Blood and Bone
Dust of Dreams
The Crippled God (Do not break DoD and TCG up, they're one book that had to be broken in half due to the length.)

Esslemont's final novel will likely take place after TCG and Erickson has another trilogy coming, if you haven't met Karsa Orlong yet you're in for an uncomforatable treat.

Forge of Darkness is an anomaly, it is technically the earliest book in the series, but it there is so much that is revealed that will hit you with less impact if you read it first, that and it could all be a lie, lol.
That's brilliant thank you!! I'll be sure to save this and stick to it. I'm making slow progress with Deadhouse Gates, I'm only 150 pages in after a week. Really enjoying it but am so busy with work I'm just not finding time to read. Think my 12 month+ estimate is nearer the mark at my present rate =)

Sotiris

Knows the real name of Lower Corte
Well, it just happens that I just finished Bonehunters. Excellent read, the biggest convergence of power so far in the series happened in the Bonehunters. But I think this time Erickson overdid it with the POVs. Especially the 10 or so different POVs just from soldiers of the 14th. On to Reaper's Gale now. Back to Lether.

João Ribeiro

That is just ridiculously gross. Now I am being all "prude shocked state" lol.

Unfortunately many people have commented on the constant horniness of the characters, thought the books ... so yea, this = warned.

and i am still so grossed out by that comment ^^ hahah SOOO gross.
Sorry, I actually tried to write it more in a funny way than a gross one! Besides it's not actually a complaint about the lack of warning and more of a comment on a part of the book I find unnecessary! Still liking the book, and definitely reading the other two!

Still if I got that kind of reaction with the comment I should start penning a fan fiction trilogy in the same setting as 50 Shades of Gray!

Frizzo0133

Well, it just happens that I just finished Bonehunters. Excellent read, the biggest convergence of power so far in the series happened in the Bonehunters. But I think this time Erickson overdid it with the POVs. Especially the 10 or so different POVs just from soldiers of the 14th. On to Reaper's Gale now. Back to Lether.
Bonehunters was one of my favorites of the series, although if you don't like that many POV's you're in for a surprise, he gets better at handling them and working the scenes with characters you only know for three pages.

Reapers Gale is a ton of fun, can't wait to hear what you think of it, don't be surprised when Erickson punches you in the gut several times though, although if you aren't used to that by now you weren't reading the same books I did.

Sotiris

Bonehunters was one of my favorites of the series, although if you don't like that many POV's you're in for a surprise, he gets better at handling them and working the scenes with characters you only know for three pages.

Reapers Gale is a ton of fun, can't wait to hear what you think of it, don't be surprised when Erickson punches you in the gut several times though, although if you aren't used to that by now you weren't reading the same books I did.
Yeap, not only will I not be surprised, actually I demand from him to punch me in the gut (metaphorically) : P One of the greatest things in the series is that you never seem to be expecting what is coming at you. As for the POVs, it's not that I don't like them, is that I find it difficult to remember where every character stands, due to their huge number.

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Just read Assassin's Apprentice and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. The characters were likeable and the best thing about it was the pace. It was quite leisurely, but I found myself interested throughout the book and enjoying each of the words as they brought the scenes to life. To the next book...

Antoxx

Just read Assassin's Apprentice and I enjoyed it much more than I expected. The characters were likeable and the best thing about it was the pace. It was quite leisurely, but I found myself interested throughout the book and enjoying each of the words as they brought the scenes to life. To the next book...
Much more than you expected? What made you go into it thinking you might not enjoy it? For me, it's the second best series I've read, behind MBotF. And best characterisation writer going around in my opinion.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Much more than you expected? What made you go into it thinking you might not enjoy it? For me, it's the second best series I've read, behind MBotF. And best characterisation writer going around in my opinion.
Agree with that. Regal is one of the best 'baddies' in the fantasy genre.

Sotiris

I agree with that too. Exceptional characterization, maybe the best I've encountered so far. Great plot, great characters, all in all a great story. If I could choose to forget all about a series to re-read it again for the first time, I think it would be the Farseer.

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
I'm not generally a fan of coming of age stories (especially with a teenage protagonist) and I thought it would be like a guy going into an academy and having to cope with other students etc. (which I dislike). But hey, I guess I liked this one :)

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Was thinking about what you said Antoxx. I'm currently reading MBoTF, nearly halfway into Deadhouse Gates, and for me, the characterisation hasn't been as great as in a lot of other books I've read recently - for example Farseer, ASoIAF & First Law. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it, but mainly because of its scope and ambitiousness, not necessarily because I'm feeling any real love for any of the characters in it. I guess what I'm getting at is whether you feel the same way? Characterisation is obviously important to you.

Daianmixx

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
Finished ,,Rings, Swords, and Monsters,, - by Michael D.C. Drout.

Not a fantasy book but a book about fantasy.

Prof. Dout is one of the founding editors of the journal Tolkien Studies and is editor of The J.R.R. Tolkien Encyclopedia (Routledge) so at least on Tolkien knows what he's talking about (half of the book is about Tolkien).

Hoewever his analysis stops chronologically at Le Guin, Holdstock, Donaldson and Brooks.

Beside that, book was quite entertaining, prof. Drout manage to not be borring - something you wouldn't expect from a professor.:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

btkong

Staff member
A Memory of Light (ok, finished that last month, but I'll add it on here. I wrote a review on the blog. So so, not terrible, but not all that good either. But a decent ending to the series)

Random Top Science Fiction (Working my way through some of the older works like PKD Ubik, Old Man's War, Peter F Hamilton's newest The Great North Road)

Red Country (just stared before switching to The Daylight War. Will finish after)

The Daylight War -- about 3/4 done. Not happy so far. Seems to be much closer to The Desert Spear than The Warded Man. I have a LOT of complaints with this one, with the characters and how they act, and the general plot and the lack of absolutely anything really happening. Feels like Brett is trying to drag this series out for no reason other than $$$. We will see how it the book ends, but I sense a scathing review coming on in a week).