February 2013: What Fantasy book are you reading?

Antoxx

Journeyed there and back again
Was thinking about what you said Antoxx. I'm currently reading MBoTF, nearly halfway into Deadhouse Gates, and for me, the characterisation hasn't been as great as in a lot of other books I've read recently - for example Farseer, ASoIAF & First Law. Don't get me wrong, I'm loving it, but mainly because of its scope and ambitiousness, not necessarily because I'm feeling any real love for any of the characters in it. I guess what I'm getting at is whether you feel the same way? Characterisation is obviously important to you.
I know what you mean about MBotF. And as there is such a wide array of characters it does make it more difficult for character's to be fully fleshed out but I still think Erikson does a good job of it. Certainly agree that the plot/ambitiousness is what dominates but he still does write character's well. Possibly a gripe might be that he'll focus on a character(s) and then they sort of peter out over time (that's in addition to those character's who get killed and there's plenty that that happens too!). There were a couple of character's who I really hoped would be more prominant who ended up only having bit parts later in the series. With respect Deadhouse Gates, I reckon he does a great job with Icarium and Mappo and the story around Felisin, Heboric Light Touch and Baudin also contains some good character depth. Maybe I'm a bit biased in my opinion due to the fact I rate MBotF so highly!

With respect other writers, I reckon Abraham does a good job of it in The Long Price Quartet. I personally think Sanderson likewise does it well in Mistborn. And I might get shot here, but I also think Rowling does a good job of it too in Harry Potter. They all have the benefit on concentrating on a much smaller cast of course, which does make it easier.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
The Daylight War -- about 3/4 done. Not happy so far. Seems to be much closer to The Desert Spear than The Warded Man. I have a LOT of complaints with this one, with the characters and how they act, and the general plot and the lack of absolutely anything really happening. Feels like Brett is trying to drag this series out for no reason other than $$$. We will see how it the book ends, but I sense a scathing review coming on in a week).
Just finished a hunt through the first few google hits when searching The Daylight War review. It seems most on this site seem to be rather negative about the book. Most other people see our (the book club peeps) issues as minor ones and rave about how good it is.

wonder what's up with that?

- btw ben, feel free to jump in in the book club discussion.

in other news.

I've started Fevre Dream by G.R.R Martin. It seems Jon Snow continues to dictate what I read till i get his outraged face out of my head by reading all the ones he thinks are essential lol :p

Antoxx

I'm not generally a fan of coming of age stories (especially with a teenage protagonist) and I thought it would be like a guy going into an academy and having to cope with other students etc. (which I dislike). But hey, I guess I liked this one :)
Fair enough. I also like to think I'm not much of a fan of coming of age stories. Unfortunately, my first exposure to fantasy a long, long, long time ago was The Belgariad which I absolutely loved but think that it may have irrovacably altered me so that even though I say I don't like them, I can't help myself from liking them! Otherwise, why is it I like Harry Potter, Farseer and The Wheel of Time so much? Actually, I do believe there is a big difference between poorly written coming of age stories and the better stuff - the last 3 of my mentions of course falling into the latter camp. As for The Belgariad, let's just say I'd be interested to see what I think of it if I read it again now.

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Few days back i finished Clean by Alex Hughes. Isn't fantasy but more Dresden like with sci fi elements.Overall I liked the book, the protagonist is a recovering psychic power-enhancing drug addict so he's the damaged and screwed up guy(which makes it better reading). Plot wasn't all that great but was very readable. The whole book is also in entirely POV of the protagonist, which is also a welcome change.

João Ribeiro

just finished the Warded Man today on my way to work. I'll start Desert Spear on the way home at the end of the day.

I wonder if, in Desert Spear, the talented boy with distinctive marks and the fastest broom... erhm horse in town, the clever girl who can quickly master anything she learns and the ginger, will find any Horcruxes.

All in all not my top five favorite but still quite enjoyable and I'm looking forward to see where it goes.

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
just finished the warded man today on my way to work. I'll start desert spear on the way home at the end of the day.

I wonder if, in desert spear, the talented boy with distinctive marks and the fastest broom... Erhm horse in town, the clever girl who can quickly master anything she learns and the ginger, will find any horcruxes.

All in all not my top five favorite but still quite enjoyable and i'm looking forward to see where it goes.
lol

moonspawn

Just started The Amber Spyglass recently. I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous two books in His dark Materials; he's been telling instead of showing a lot more than I'm comfortable with. I'm going to start Fevre Dream after I finish The Amber Spyglass.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Just started The Amber Spyglass recently. I'm not enjoying it as much as the previous two books in His dark Materials; he's been telling instead of showing a lot more than I'm comfortable with. I'm going to start Fevre Dream after I finish The Amber Spyglass.
I read the first two ages ago and haven't read The Amber Spyglass yet. Nothing is compelling me to do so. Fevre Dream is amazing.

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Good to see some folks reading Fevre Dream. I liked it enough to buy the graphic novel. Being the first graphic novel I had ever purchased, I was quick to learn they take the word "graphic" to heart.

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Fair enough. I also like to think I'm not much of a fan of coming of age stories. Unfortunately, my first exposure to fantasy a long, long, long time ago was The Belgariad which I absolutely loved but think that it may have irrovacably altered me so that even though I say I don't like them, I can't help myself from liking them! Otherwise, why is it I like Harry Potter, Farseer and The Wheel of Time so much? Actually, I do believe there is a big difference between poorly written coming of age stories and the better stuff - the last 3 of my mentions of course falling into the latter camp. As for The Belgariad, let's just say I'd be interested to see what I think of it if I read it again now.
Hmm...well I guess the coming of age didn't come too soon in Assassin's Apprentice. I just finished the next book, Royal Assassin where Fitz really starts to get angsty and I found myself quite distanced from his character. As a result, I didn't find the next book as good (characters I like such as Verity and Kettricken made it interesting, but I really disliked the Fitz/Molly thing and the coterie).

Anyways I'm a third of the way through Assassin's Quest and unfortunately I'm actually starting to dislike Fitz--his decisions and way of going about things don't bode well with me. Honestly, so far the third book has started a little sluggishly for me (with all the futile wandering and Regal issues) not to mentioned it is almost exclusively about Ftiz (imho needs more Burrich/Chade/Verity/Kettricken).

pangaea : the secret of Machu Picchu

Hi,
I'm new here. Hehe I guess I want to start with this book cause its the most recent one I read.

I know it's an unknown book, but i wanted to share what i think about the book. personally found it fun to read. It gets quite complicated as it goes to the end for kids.
But it was a good way to learn more about the historic place.

But on the other hand, it was somewhat uncomfortable with the biblical twist in it.

Did anybody read the same book?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
Just finished Blood Song by Anthony Ryan...i came across this book in a goodreads list of the overlooked book or something like that. On checking Amazon, i was quite frankly shocked to see that it had ~710 4 star reviews and understandably my first thought was faked reviews but then it hit me that 710 reviews was pretty much impossible to fake.

So i went and read it. And turns out...it IS a good book(Even though the cover leaves much to be desired). It's around 570 pages on my ereader so its not a short book by any means either. But getting down to the actual book:

The story is told in a very Patrick rothfuss style i.e events are occuring to the protagonist in the current time and he's simultaneously relating events of his childhood, which is by far the bulk of the story.
It's a good, if slightly generic coming of age tale,with the whole warrior training and tests and trials and all the rest. What's remarkable though is that the author has managed to add several side stories which are part of the training and many of these stories play a much larger role in the future,and its done masterfully..you dont feel like the author is taking you on a lark or anything, it all feels very natural.

The characters are also well fleshed out, each with believable backgrounds,secrets and quirks. The camaraderie doesn't feel wooden, there is quite a lot of real friendship going on here. The use of magic is very restrained(hardly any tbh),there are battle scenes but most are short and sweet. Blood and gore too, but not the overly graphic kind.

The plot is quite straightforward but there is a LOT that is left open for future books, but quite a lot of stuff happens, though most doesn't make much sense in the larger picture, understandable since it's the first book. The pacing is good and the ending filled with surprises and doesn't end with a door to your face.

In short, this is probably the closest you'll get to a legitimate clone of Name of the Wind. If NoTW is 10..i'd give this 7.9
Overall great read, i'm quite happy..book was cheap too..so added bonus.

I think i'll check out more of that list on goodreads :D

yobtaf

A farm boy with a sword
Just finished the Farseer trilogy with Assassin's Quest. To be honest, I didn't like it. The first book was great, second good, but I found this one to be too long and boring. Most of it was just traveling...Fitz really, really irked me at the start of the book, but fortunately he began to grow brains nearer the end. It got better at the end, but I felt that in the first 3/4 hardly many exciting things happened (the traveling, especially through the mountains, was tedious--walk, stop, eat, hunt, talk--over and over again). By the end the only characters I actually liked were Verity (who is by far my favorite) and Kettricken. I used to like Burrich, The Fool and Chade but for some reason after this book, I don't really anymore...
And, of course Verity 'died' which confirms the fact that my favorite character in books always dies :(

I don't really know if I want to continue with the Tawny Man series. I really expected this third book to live up to the first two, but for me it didn't. I would like to find out what happens to the characters, but to do so I'm not sure I want to put myself through the somewhat tedious reading that was AQ...

João Ribeiro

Still going through Desert Spear. Passed the halfway point yesterday.
It's a bit different than the first one, especially since I have a big chunk of the beginning of the book dedicated to Jardir. It might have been better if part of it was tucked in the Painted Man. But then again this way you feel more immersed into his origin story.

I still think Peter Brett has some sex issues running around his attic but that's life!

Riposte

Philosophizes with Kellhus
Just finished Night of the Swarm by Robert V.S. Redick. This is the fourth and thankfully final book of his Charthrand Voyage series. This series was a planned trilogy and got off to a really good start with the first two books, but at some point after the first or second book the author decided to add another volume to the series, making it a quartet. Typically, authors extending their fantasy series beyond the initial scheduled plans has led to some serious mishandling of stories and characters. Sadly, that remains the case with this series. Starting in the third book, the story got too big and the author seemed to lose his handle on everything. I was hoping this book would rein in the story and return to the form of the first two books, but that didn't happen. Worst of all, there was no theme or moral quandary for the reader's mind to chew over. It was just good guys trying to defeat some underdeveloped villain. The book actually had a decent finale but after slogging through the last two books to reach it, I was not nearly as moved as I could have been if the author had better executed his story.

This month I also read the first Hyperion book by Dan Simmons. This was like a Sci-Fi Canterbury Tales. The stories early on were incredible, but the latter stories were kinda meh. The descending quality left me with a bitter taste. Simmons is a good author, so I'll read the next book....eventually.

Lastly, I read the short story collection 20th Century Ghosts by Joe Hill. It was amazing and by far the best thing I've read this month. It had some horror stories, fantasy stories, and "literary" stories. The title story was my favorite in an overall great collection. This author is Stephen King's son for those who don't know.

João Ribeiro

Hi,
I'm new here. Hehe I guess I want to start with this book cause its the most recent one I read.

I know it's an unknown book, but i wanted to share what i think about the book. personally found it fun to read. It gets quite complicated as it goes to the end for kids.
But it was a good way to learn more about the historic place.

But on the other hand, it was somewhat uncomfortable with the biblical twist in it.

Did anybody read the same book?
Hi Nicholas welcome to the forum!

I haven't read the book you mention. Just one thought, if biblical gets you uncomfortable, avoid the Chronicles of Narnia :)

Cheers and happy reading!

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Finished with my re-read of the Mistborn trilogy and have now about a fifth of the way through A Memory of Light.
How do those small paragraphs at the beginning of the chapters feel now that you know who is making those comments? I really want to re-read that series too...stupid time.

l3gacy

Dr. Awesomesauce
Staff member
I finished both Rides a Dread Legion and Red country. I thought Red country was the weakest of the three standalones post-first law. I loved that Logen was in it (even though they never once said Logen, Ninefingers, or The Bloody Nine). I thought it was a little boring, to be honest. Still a good book, but I liked The Heroes and Best Served Cold better.

Rides a Dread Legion was typical Feist fare. I've started the next one (At the Gates of Darkness) and should be polishing it off in a week or two.

Haven't decided what my next audio book is. I have a few on my phone, just not sure which to listen to first. Maybe Hyperion.