For all you cat lovers...

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Cute names but why are they neutering those kittens so early. Shouldn't they wait like around 6 months for cats to go into puberty and let the owners handle it? They don't even have a proper body weight for that procedure.

wakarimasen

Journeyed there and back again
@Alucard wow.... that's a level deeper than I was really looking at that!
I just liked the names.
On the off chance you aren't just :troll:- I believe they neuter them as a matter of policy when they are rescued.

wakarimasen

Made me think though I checked it out a bit. If it is the SPCA that I thought then they wouldn't do that.
They offer a free neutering service if the rehomed cat is too young to be neutered at the time. Says to me that the image is fake then,
which is a real shame, I really liked those names....
Makes me part of an Information Cascade: perpetuating a meme without checking it's validity.

Still...

The Good King Snugglewumps:cat::happy:

Alucard

Staff member
I'm not trolling lol. I have a cat of their age. He's a July baby :) It was a legitimate question because here where I live they recommend you bring your cat to the vet when it's 6 month old. That's when they hit puberty.
I suppose they might do it because a lot owners "forget" to bring the cat after 6 months or are just plain irresponsible. Especially if male you know because they don't get pregnant. Never mind they make other cats pregnant though....

wakarimasen

Professor Puddinpops.. hehehe haaaaaaaa.

What you're saying certainly gels with what happens in this country, but the supposed SPCA in that would be in Canada. Their advice appears to be:
Dogs and cats are able to reproduce by the time they are six months old, sometimes even earlier. CFHS… encourages dogowners to spay or neuter their pet sooner rather than later. Pediatric spay or neuter has been routinely and safely performed for many years now on animals from 6-12 weeks so many shelters use this procedure. Either way, it should be done before the animal is six months old.
Who knew it was such a hotcatbed of a topic?

Puddinpops..hehe

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Some shelters do neuter a bit too young. My orange cat was neutered at 2 months as a condition of bringing him home. (He doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects from the neutering, though. He's got other issues that don't have to do with his reproductive system or lack thereof. His enormous belly is due to long-term corticosteroid use...) On the other hand, when I got my black cat (kitten born in the woods to a feral mother), the vet recommended neutering at 5 pounds or 6 months of age, whichever came first. 5 pounds came first.

I know with dogs, at least females, they want you to spay before the dogs go through heat the first time. For my dog, this was at age 6 months, since large breeds are a bit slower to develop in that regard. I think it may also be true for cats, though I haven't had a female kitten for 18 years. (Sneaky, the cat in my photo, had already been spayed when she walked through my door -- she was probably somewhere under 1 year old.)

Alucard

Staff member
He doesn't seem to be suffering any ill effects from the neutering, though. He's got other issues that don't have to do with his reproductive system or lack thereof.
I heard that cats who get neutered early as kittens get scared easily and they tend to hide more than cats neutered later.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I heard that cats who get neutered early as kittens get scared easily and they tend to hide more than cats neutered later.
Exactly the opposite of my experience. The one I waited to neuter is the most frightened cat I've ever seen. The one who got neutered early is an attention whore.

Alucard

Staff member
Exactly the opposite of my experience. The one I waited to neuter is the most frightened cat I've ever seen. The one who got neutered early is an attention whore.
Hmm,interesting.

Lock me in a cage, and cut of my balls, and I'd hide too!! Those are the smart ones.
Don't they just cut and tie the tubes not the balls?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hmm,interesting.

Don't they just cut and tie the tubes not the balls?
My male cats were all castrated (no tube tying). I think it cuts down on hormone-induced behavior (which can sometimes be problematic with cats), or at least that's what I'm told.

Alucard

Staff member

Derk of Derkholm

I think they are on the right way with the naming of cats ... however, there is still room for improvement!

... The Naming of Cats ...

I also think that these cats are neutered too soon, but it might be less of a problem for the male than for the female cats, as the operation is not so invasive (on the other hand, considering it in its entirety, it most likely *is* pretty invasive).

I read on another forum that there are vets who will do a vasectomy on pets (as opposed to a castration) to allow them a fulfilled sexuality without offspring, but yes, many owners want to castrate tomcats to cut down on their *male* behaviour.

Best regards,
Andy

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
I want MORE cats. (Also, mine don't kill birds because they don't go outside. They're quite terrified of my pet birds, though. They're not even very good at killing bugs.)