Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Or you just searched the page for Stanek, which is equally weird.
No, I scrolled down really fast. But his cover kind of sucked compared to the other ones around it, so it stood out. I actually didn't even make it to the bottom of the list. Too much girl-with-a-sword urban fantasy at first glance.

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
Well, it is also sci-fi, horror and fantasy. They also just list every damn book coming out which to me is tl;dr

I like my short and sweet ones better :woot:

Boreas

Journeyed there and back again
Staff member
Locus Online has a simple, yet pretty comprehensive list for upcoming titles until the end of September, 2015.

Charlie Jane Anders of io9 has done her own list of anticipated science fiction/fantasy books for which she had the release dates.

And geekritiqued also has a list of 25 most anticipated sf/f books.

Boreas

Staff member
From that article: Consider Phlebas came out in 1987.
Man, I wish I had read that then, it would have blown my tiny little mind.
My mind was sufficiently blown even over a decade after that. But it didn't truly get blown until I got to "Use of Weapons". I couldn't even sit down properly for a while.

Cyphon

So besides Firefight from Brandon Sanderson which I have already bought and read, there are 5 books slated to come out that are part of series I am reading.

1. The Skull Throne by Peter V. Brett - I am a big fan of this series and I hope so badly that the author finds a way to kill off Reena. She is one of the most awful characters I have ever and the displeasure of reading and she is attached to Arlen making him worse as well. And I really liked reading Arlen. The plot is certainly still fun and I can't wait to see how it continues but man, it was bad reading some of the stuff in book 3.

2. The Liar's Key by Mark Lawrence - I just finished the first book a little while back and while it isn't a standout it is still good and Lawrence knows how to deliver interesting characters.

3. Queen of Fire by Anthony Ryan - I have the first 2 books but haven't started them yet so I have no clue whether I am looking forward to this or not. I always assume the best though.

4. A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms by George RR Martin - I am really excited for this. I have read the stories and the graphic novel versions but have always wanted an actual physical copy which is pretty much impossible to find. Or if you do, it is like $200 on Amazon for one of these books. So it is nice to get them all in one place.

5. Shadows of Self by Brandon Sanderson - I read everything he puts out although I haven't read the book before this one yet. I don't doubt Sanderson will deliver though.

Now the next step is seeing if I can use this list to find some new series to get into. I remember they did one last year out on the main site and it was very informative and helped me pick out quite a few new books.

kenubrion

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

Danica

Queen of the boards!
Staff member
that list was insane and I didn't even get to the bottom. For a list it had far too many half naked men and women for my liking and I found that a bit too weird.

the Greek Critique list was pretty good.

kenubrion

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Sword of the North (The Grim Company, #2) by Luke Scull / March 10th
Clash of Iron (Iron Age, #2) by Angus Watson / April 14th
The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1) by Peter Newman / April 23rd ( I've never heard of Newman before, but he's got a kickass cover and the synopsis sounds like a cross between sci-fi and fantasy.)

ReguIa

@Cyphon you can probably add Bands of Mourning to that list. It's coming out 2 months after Shadows of Self I think.

After waiting years and years for books sometimes, it's nice to have someone who puts out the sequel after 2 months instead! You're damn awesome Brandon..

About Patrick Rothfuss final book in the Kingkiller series, Doors of Stone? I guess it's doubtful it will be released this year. But 2016 has to be the year right? Has he said anything about how far he's come?

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
But 2016 has to be the year right
Don't get your hopes up....right now GRRM and Rothfuss are probably tied for the "Longest Wait for Last Book in a Series" Award.

Has he said anything about how far he's come?
No, and he never answers questions regarding it...From what I know he does an insane number of revisions before he submits a novel for publishing

ReguIa

Sounds about right, I've heard he's a perfectionist..

Well does he have any other projects in mind after he's finished Doors of Stone?

Status
Not open for further replies.