Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

kenubrion

Journeyed there and back again
Hi Alucard. You said to post if we came across any more forthcoming books, and I would like to mention that the sequel to Sara King's Fortune's Rising, called Fortune's Folly, is being released on Sept 29 2015. It's sci-fi though, is that OK?

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Hmm, is Brent Weeks not making anything this year? Or are you simply not a fan of his?
Next Lightbringer book doesn't come out until 2016 I think. That's probably what he's working on now.

MorteTorment

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Next Lightbringer book doesn't come out until 2016 I think. That's probably what he's working on now.
Damn, he's literally putting out nothing this entire year? Is that common for a writer of trilogies?

Griffin

he's literally putting out nothing this entire year? Is that common for a writer of trilogies?
Any author who puts out one book every two year is considered normal, especially if they write tomes (>500 page books). Authors writing one book a year are quick writers and then you've got Brandon Sanderson who's one of the most prolific writers I've ever seen: several short stories or novellas or books a year.

kenubrion

ReguIa

The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1) by Jim Butcher comes out in September.

Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5) by James S.A. Corey in June.

The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4) by Scott Lynch in September.

Ser Pounce

Please tell me this is the last book in this series?
Nope, there's seven books planned.

This is a sequence of seven planned novels set in the world of the shattered Therin Throne Empire and its descendant states. Lynch has stated that there will be a sequel series set some twenty years on with new characters, which will also be seven books long.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nope, there's seven books planned.
Thanks. But how can you just 'plan' 7 books. I'm not an author, and don't personally know any to ask, but surely saying something like that is putting pressure on yourself, which could ultimately impact on quality? Surely the better approach would be to just keep on writing until you reach a natural end point, whether that be at book 5, 6, 7 or 8. Or are authors contracted to writing so many books in a series? Which could also have a negative impact on quality.

ofer

Thanks. But how can you just 'plan' 7 books. I'm not an author, and don't personally know any to ask, but surely saying something like that is putting pressure on yourself, which could ultimately impact on quality? Surely the better approach would be to just keep on writing until you reach a natural end point, whether that be at book 5, 6, 7 or 8. Or are authors contracted to writing so many books in a series? Which could also have a negative impact on quality.
Gentlemen Bastards series isn't exactly a series in the way that ASoIaF or The name of the Wind is. Yes, it's repeating characters in the same world, but each book is self-contained - meaning it has a clear beginning and an end, without significant cliffhangers, so you can read each book as a sort of a standalone (obviously you shouldn't read book 3 before book 1, but you get my point). Think of the Patrick Weekes books you read - pretty much the same format.

Having said that, there is one open question at the end of book 2, but anyone with half a brain cell can figure out that it's going to be resolved somehow, although not the how of it.

My guess is that Lynch came out with a framework story for his world, and then with several ideas for episodes in it, then choose the best 7. Or maybe he simply thinks it's a lucky number.

ReguIa

I think I've pre-ordered this. I really need to go into my Amazon account to see what I've bought in advance!
I've already bought it, came out a few weeks early at my local bookstore. So far I've only read the first book though:p

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've already bought it, came out a few weeks early at my local bookstore. So far I've only read the first book though:p
I thought Leviathan Wakes was the strongest book, but all the others have been great too! I'm looking forward to the next instalment!

Reakon

Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life
I thought Leviathan Wakes was the strongest book, but all the others have been great too! I'm looking forward to the next instalment!
I'm glad to hear this, I bought the audiobook for 99p blindly in a daily deal. Glad I hadn't wasted a quid! Didn't realise it was a big series though

ReguIa

I have been waiting to really get into this series ever since I heard of the TV show they are adapting from this series, which feels like forever ago. And there still isn't even an announced date for the pilot.. What is happening there, feels like it's standing still and going nowhere:mad:

kenubrion

Little more then a month left and then we're off in the new year. Inspired by some posts in the fantasy frontier thread I thought I'd make a list with some of the titles that are expected in 2015, and which are on my radar in one form or the other.

JANUARY
Golden Son (Red Rising Trilogy, #2) by Pierce Brown
The Providence of Fire (Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne, #2) by Brian Staveley
Firefight (Reckoners, #2) by Brandon Sanderson
Gemini Cell (Shadow Ops 0.5) by Myke Cole
Unbound (Magic Ex Libris #3) by Jim C. Hines
The Whispering Swarm (Sanctuary of the White Friars #1) by Michael Moorcock
The Just City (Thessaly #1) by Jo Walton

FEBRUARY
Half the World (Shattered Sea, #2) by Joe Abercrombie
The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage, #3) by Brian McClellan
Trigger Warning: Short Fictions and Disturbances by Neil Gaiman
A Darker Shade of Magic (A Darker Shade of Magic #1) by V.E. Schwab
Deathblade: A Tale of Malus Darkblade(Darkblade #6) by C.L. Werner
Guns of the Dawn by Adrian Tchaikovsky
The Thorn of Dentonhill by Marshall Ryan Maresca

MARCH
The Skull Throne (Demon Cycle, #4) by Peter V. Brett
The Rebirths of Tao (Tao #3) by Wesley Chu
The Mechanical (The Alchemy Wars #1) by Ian Tregillis
Those Above (The Empty Throne, #1) by Daniel Polansky
Dreamseeker (The Dreamwalker Chronicles, #2) by C. S. Friedman
Sword of the North (The Grim Company, #2) by Luke Scull

APRIL
The Grace of Kings (The Dandelion Dynasty #1) by Ken Liu
Clash of Iron (Iron Age, #2) by Angus Watson
The Vagrant (The Vagrant, #1) by Peter Newman

MAY
Sword of the North (Grim Company #2) by Luke Scull
Sword of Destiny (Witcher #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski
The Book of Phoenix (Who Fears Death 0.1) by Nnedi Okorafor
Uprooted by Naomi Novik
Seveneves by Neal Stephenson
The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi

JUNE
The Liar's Key (Red Queen's War, #2) by Mark Lawrence
To Hold the Bridge by Garth Nix
Cold Iron by Stina Leicht
The Philosopher Kings (Thessaly #2) by Jo Walton
Nemesis Games (Expanse, #5) by James S.A. Corey

JULY
The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3) by Django Wexler
Half A War (Shattered Sea, #3) by Joe Abercrombie
Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3) by Anthony Ryan
Armada by Ernest Cline
The Mortal Tally (Bring Down Heaven, #2) by Sam Sykes
The Dinosaur Lords (The Dinosaur Lords, #1) by Victor Milán
Three Moments of an Explosion: Stories by China Miéville
Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson
Time Salvager by Wesley Chu
Ruin (The Faithful and Fallen, #4) by John Gwynne

AUGUST
A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms: Being the Adventures of Ser Duncan the Tall, and His Squire, Egg (The Tales of Dunk and Egg, #1-3) by George R.R. Martin
Fool's Quest (The Fitz and The Fool Trilogy, #2) by Robin Hobb
The Spider's War (The Dagger and Coin, #5) by Daniel Abraham
Black Heart (The Barrow #2) by Mark Smylie
The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N. K. Jemisin
The End of All Things by John Scalzi

SEPTEMBER
The Fall of Light (Kharkanas Trilogy, #2) by Steven Erikson
The Wolf in the Attic by Paul Kearney
The Traitor Baru Cormorant by Seth Dickinson
The Hollow Boy (Lockwood & Co. #3) by Jonathan Stroud
Fortune's Folly by Sara King
The Aeronaut's Windlass (The Cinder Spires, #1) by Jim Butcher
The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4) by Scott Lynch

OCTOBER
The Dread Wyrm (The Traitor Son Cycle #3) by Miles Cameron
The Black Wolves (The Black Wolves Trilogy #1) by Kate Elliott
Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch #3) by Ann Leckie

NOVEMBER
Shadows of Self (Mistborn #5) by Brandon Sanderson
City of Blades (City of Stairs #2) by Robert Jackson Bennett

DECEMBER

If you know of more upcoming titles write them up and I'll add them to this opening post.
Ruin by John Gwynne has been moved back from July to October 13.

Status
Not open for further replies.