Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Ruin by John Gwynne has been moved back from July to October 13.
:( (Maybe.) I just decided to start Malice today. Of course, at the rate I've had time to read lately, perhaps it will be a timely release for me after all...

ofer

Journeyed there and back again
The Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett (probably the last Discworld book :() is coming out on September the first.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member

ReguIa

Did he have any sort of developing plot through the discworld books? Did like a 40 book long story get cut short without an ending or is discworld just comprised of individual stories set in the same world?

kenubrion

Did he have any sort of developing plot through the discworld books? Did like a 40 book long story get cut short without an ending or is discworld just comprised of individual stories set in the same world?
Yes. The second thing.

YordanZh

A Poet of the Khaiem
Uhm, well, "When They Shine Brightest" is coming in the end of July/start of August - http://yzfantasy.com/
It's mine so sorry but - it is forthcoming. :p It's a debut novel, but it's been getting some good buzz lately - successful crowdfunding campaign, officially published in my home country (self-published in English) etc etc. Hope it qualifies for the list. :p

Anyway, great list, thanks for putting it together! I'm especially anxious for Half a War, since I've been postponing the other books until the trilogy's completed. :)

Alucard

Staff member
In July there are 3 series that are getting their last installment.

The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3) by Django Wexler July 7th
Half A War (Shattered Sea, #3) by Joe Abercrombie July 28th
Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3) by Anthony Ryan July 7th

I wanna pick one to read, but which one out of these 3 had the best two first books in your opinion?

Ser Pounce

@Alucard I haven't read The Shadow Campaign but Shattered Sea and Raven's Shadow are both great choices. I'm finishing up Tower Lord(Raven Shadow, #2) and have enjoyed both books very much. Blood Song is superb and my favorite book of the four released in the two respective trilogies.

Alucard

Staff member
Thanks @Ser Pounce
To be honest, I'm weighing it between Wexler and Ryan (both brand new authors to me) more than Abercrombie. I wanna finish his adult works before I start with his YA ones. Although, if the Shattered Sea is awesome and better than other two, I'd start that.

Darwin

I think you're safe prioritizing Joe Abercrombie when it comes to picking a finished series. Abercrombie does endings like nobody else in the business. I'll give it even odds between being either a) really good or b) the best thing I've ever read.

But fortunately we've got 3 weeks between the other two books and the Abercrombie book. Hopefully I'll have time to fit in Armada on the 14th as well.

Griffin

To be honest, I'm weighing it between Wexler and Ryan
I'm going to suggest Wexler here. It's a flintlock series, but is more mature about that than the Powder Mage trilogy (in terms of military tactics) and the sequel is just brilliant. Ryan's Blood Song is great as well, but the sequel is more traditional fare. You can't go wrong either way.

Alucard

Staff member
So a vote for Ryan, Abercrombie, and Wexler. Glad to have narrowed it down for you, Alucard. o_O
I know right. :D

Solution?
Fully intend to do so, just not right now.

Maybe I'd like it more than I've liked his First Law world.
Abercrombie is surely in top 3 of my fav. authors...other two being GRRM and Neil Gaiman or the prince of darkness himself how I like to call him. So I don't think we're on the same page here lol

I think I will go with Blood Song. More people on my GR list have read it than Wexler and all of them liked it.

Thanks for all the advice.

kenubrion

I'm going to suggest Wexler here. It's a flintlock series, but is more mature about that than the Powder Mage trilogy (in terms of military tactics) and the sequel is just brilliant. Ryan's Blood Song is great as well, but the sequel is more traditional fare. You can't go wrong either way.
Thanks for mentioning that Wexler's series is flintlock, Griffin. Haven't gotten to it yet and I didn't know that, although I have the first book from a sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.