Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
In July there are 3 series that are getting their last installment.

The Price of Valour (The Shadow Campaigns, #3) by Django Wexler July 7th
Half A War (Shattered Sea, #3) by Joe Abercrombie July 28th
Queen of Fire (Raven's Shadow, #3) by Anthony Ryan July 7th

I wanna pick one to read, but which one out of these 3 had the best two first books in your opinion?
Despite my mixed thoughts on Abercrombie, I'm looking forward to reading his new YA series now that it's finished. I'll probably pick that up after I finish Powder Mage trilogy and the last Ravens Shadow.

What are people's thoughts on the Shadow Campaign series? I don't recall what exactly it was since it was about a year ago, but I'd read something or other that made me hesitant to pick it up. Or maybe I just think I read something...or maybe it was just his name... Lol

Ryan W. Mueller

Journeyed there and back again
What are people's thoughts on the Shadow Campaign series? I don't recall what exactly it was since it was about a year ago, but I'd read something or other that made me hesitant to pick it up. Or maybe I just think I read something...or maybe it was just his name... Lol
The first book was good. The second was amazing. There's not as much magic as you'll find in McClellan's flintlock fantasy, but it's still there as more of a mysterious force in the background.

Darwin

I liked the Shadow Campaign books more than the Powder Mage first book (haven't yet read past that). There's a handful of books on the Top 25 that I'd personally place lower than The Thousand Names. I went into it with low expectations (I'm not sure why), but I was pleasantly surprised.

Ryan W. Mueller

I liked the Shadow Campaign books more than the Powder Mage first book (haven't yet read past that). There's a handful of books on the Top 25 that I'd personally place lower than The Thousand Names. I went into it with low expectations (I'm not sure why), but I was pleasantly surprised.
As far as first books go, I liked Promise of Blood better than The Thousand Names, but I think I'd give the second-book edge to The Shadow Throne over The Crimson Campaign. For me, only The Thousand Names wasn't a five-star read.

Annomander Matt

Drinks Elfbark tea with FitzChivalry
As far as first books go, I liked Promise of Blood better than The Thousand Names, but I think I'd give the second-book edge to The Shadow Throne over The Crimson Campaign. For me, only The Thousand Names wasn't a five-star read.
Interesting. Thanks for the feedback everybody. Being the fact I'm a book purchasing whore (already have 21 on the TBR Shelf at home), I'll just go ahead and order up some Wexler! The fact the trilogy is now completed is a huge plus for me as it means I can push off starting Red Queen's war, Fitz and Fool, and a couple other unfinished trilogies. ;)

Ryan W. Mueller

Interesting. Thanks for the feedback everybody. Being the fact I'm a book purchasing whore (already have 21 on the TBR Shelf at home), I'll just go ahead and order up some Wexler! The fact the trilogy is now completed is a huge plus for me as it means I can push off starting Red Queen's war, Fitz and Fool, and a couple other unfinished trilogies. ;)
Actually, I think it's a five-book series, not a trilogy.

E_F

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
The Thorn of Emberlain (Gentleman Bastard, #4) by Scott Lynch
Not sure if I'm looking forward to this one at all. I thought the first two books in the series were really good with clever characters and a refreshing storyline. However, the third one was flat out boring and I really struggled to finish it. The whole election process ...my god :grumpy:

Ryan W. Mueller

Not sure if I'm looking forward to this one at all. I thought the first two books in the series were really good with clever characters and a refreshing storyline. However, the third one was flat out boring and I really struggled to finish it. The whole election process ...my god :grumpy:
Interesting. I thought the third got the series back on form after I was disappointed by the second.

Griffin

I liked all the Gentleman Bastard Sequence books in their own right. The first certainly had the most intrigue, but the second what great as well and while the last one wasn't top-notch is was still a nice read.

Hand of Fear

Not sure if I'm looking forward to this one at all.
I feel the same, Locke and Jean becoming soldiers. I think Scott has taken the series to far away from where it came from. I don't expect an author to churn out the same old thing and that there should be something new added each time but I think he may have gone to far.

Interesting. I thought the third got the series back on form after I was disappointed by the second.
Again I agree with the I thought the first book was outstanding, didn't like the second one that much, and the third one was better than the second but nowhere near as good as the first.

kenubrion

Allan Batchelder's web site says the third book in the Immortal Treachery series will be released in July 2015. It's called Corpse Cold. The first two great books are called Steel, Blood & Fire and As Flies To Wanton Boys, unanimously called the best epic fantasy books you've never heard of.

http://www.immortaltreachery.com/future-titles.html

Derk of Derkholm

Yes, Veiled is out, and it is very nice! Read it in one session.

Now, I am back to waiting for "The Aeaonaut's Windlass" ...

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Now, I am back to waiting for "The Aeaonaut's Windlass" ...
If you've got a hankering for some steampunk adventure, I can highly recommend the Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding (if you haven't read this already?). I've just finished the second book of the series (The Black Lung Captain), and it was absolutely fantastic. Plus it's a complete series :) (ps. good to see you back online!)

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Found out about this on YouTube....Coming up August 11th

Chasing the Phoenix (Darger and Surplus, #2) by Michael Swanwick

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Phoenix-Science-Fiction-Novel/dp/0765380900

Synopsis is hilarious:

A science fiction masterpiece from a five-time Hugo Award winner!

In the distant future, Surplus arrives in China dressed as a Mongolian shaman, leading a yak which carries the corpse of his friend, Darger. The old high-tech world has long since collapsed, and the artificial intelligences that ran it are outlawed and destroyed. Or so it seems.

Darger and Surplus, a human and a genetically engineered dog with human intelligence who walks upright, are a pair of con men and the heroes of a series of prior Swanwick stories. They travel to what was was once China and invent a scam to become rich and powerful. Pretending to have limited super-powers, they aid an ambitious local warlord who dreams of conquest and once again reuniting China under one ruler. And, against all odds, it begins to work, but it seems as if there are other forces at work behind the scenes. This is a sharp, slick, witty science fiction adventure that is hugely entertaining from one of the best SF writers alive.

Look at the dog on that cover! And look at its hat lol! I have to read this :hilarious:
It's second in the series, but I heard it can be read as a standalone.

kenubrion

Found out about this on YouTube....Coming up August 11th

Chasing the Phoenix (Darger and Surplus, #2) by Michael Swanwick

http://www.amazon.com/Chasing-Phoenix-Science-Fiction-Novel/dp/0765380900

Synopsis is hilarious:

A science fiction masterpiece from a five-time Hugo Award winner!

In the distant future, Surplus arrives in China dressed as a Mongolian shaman, leading a yak which carries the corpse of his friend, Darger. The old high-tech world has long since collapsed, and the artificial intelligences that ran it are outlawed and destroyed. Or so it seems.

Darger and Surplus, a human and a genetically engineered dog with human intelligence who walks upright, are a pair of con men and the heroes of a series of prior Swanwick stories. They travel to what was was once China and invent a scam to become rich and powerful. Pretending to have limited super-powers, they aid an ambitious local warlord who dreams of conquest and once again reuniting China under one ruler. And, against all odds, it begins to work, but it seems as if there are other forces at work behind the scenes. This is a sharp, slick, witty science fiction adventure that is hugely entertaining from one of the best SF writers alive.

Look at the dog on that cover! And look at its hat lol! I have to read this :hilarious:
It's second in the series, but I heard it can be read as a standalone.
Thanks Alucard. I amazed I've never heard of a sci-fi author with five Hugos. All five winners are short stories, and they are all included in The Best of Michael Swanwick, 21 short stories and 476 pages for only $2.99 on the US Kindle site. I bought it after reading the sample. The preceding book in the Darger and Surplus series isn't available for Kindle, and I appreciate your note about being able to read Chasing the Phoenix as a standalone. You're right, that cover is hilarious. I already pre-ordered it.

By the way, when I went to pre-order Kate Elliott's Black Wolves coming out Nov 3 (that's a change from the original October release date), I saw she has another new novel coming out August 18, Court of Fives. But more importantly, the first 12 chapters of Court of Fives is free at least on Kindle US"

http://www.amazon.com/Court-Fives--...8&qid=1439217162&sr=1-3&keywords=kate+elliott

Last edited:

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Thanks Alucard. I amazed I've never heard of a sci-fi author with five Hugos.
You are welcome. I look forward to your feedback when you read it. I have heard of Swanwick before because of Fantasy Masterworks by Gollancz. He wrote this
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/757038.The_Iron_Dragon_s_Daughter

He's an older writer, but I'm sorry to say I haven't read anything by him yet. Looking forward to reading this new book though because it sounds like a great adventure book and I really like those.

Status
Not open for further replies.