Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2017

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Alucard, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

Happy New Year!

Here it is, a list of some relevant titles for 2017. I tried to include a 'healthy' mix of sci-fi and fantasy, but of course I can't include everything that is coming out. On the list are mainly works by established authors.
    If you think I missed (and I probably did) some major works, write in and I will correct the list.

That being said, as always, if you are a BFB member and an author with an upcoming book in 2017, drop us a line here, and I will include your book on the list as well.

Keep in mind that all dates are subject to change. Especially in the later half of the year, a lot is still unknown and subject to more change. That's just how publishers work. A lot more about second half of 2017 will be known as we approach summertime. Also, if you see a title that has been postponed, let us know here, and I will correct the list.

Unless otherwise specified all dates are US publishing dates. xx - means no specific date has been confirmed.
    That's all folks. Happy reading in the next year!

Jon's blog post: The Most Anticipated Fantasy Books of 2017

JANUARY

3rd - The Heart of What Was Lost: A Novel of Osten Ard by Tad Williams
    10th - The Bear and the Nightingale by Katherine Arden
    17th - Empire Games (Empire Games, #1) by Charles Stross
    17th - Martians Abroad by Carrie Vaughn
    31st - Binti: Home (Binti, #2) by Nnedi Okorafor

FEBRUARY

7th - The Stars Are Legion by Kameron Hurley
    7th - With Blood Upon the Sand (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #2) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
    7th - Norse Mythology by Neil Gaiman
    14th - Miranda and Caliban by Jacqueline Carey
    17th - Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson
    21st - A Conjuring of Light (Shades of Magic, #3) by V. E. Schwab
    28th - Frogkisser! by Garth Nix

MARCH
    7th - Sins of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #1) by Brian McClellan
    14th - New York 2140 by Kim Stanley Robinson
    14th - The Lady of the Lake (Witcher #7) by Andrzej Sapkowski
    21st - The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi

APRIL
    4th - Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1) by Mark Lawrence
    4th - Redder Than Blood by Tanith Lee
    4th - Bound (Alex Verus, #8) by Benedict Jacka
    4th - The House of Binding Thorns (Dominion of the Fallen #2) by Aliette de Bodard
    4th - The Witchwood Crown (The Last King of Osten Ard, #1) by Tad Williams (Kindle version. Hardcover available from June 27th)
    11th - Cold Welcome by Elizabeth Moon
    20th - The Seven (The Vagrant #3) by Peter Newman (This is a UK pub date. US pub date is sometimes in October 2017)
    20th - Tyrant's Throne (Greatcoats, #4) by Sebastien de Castell (This is a UK pub date. US pub date is June 6th)
    25th - Borne by Jeff VanderMeer
    25th - Walkaway by Cory Doctorow

MAY
    2nd - City of Miracles (The Divine Cities, #3) by Robert Jackson Bennett
    2nd - Damnation (The Burned Man #3) by Peter McLean
    2nd - A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses #3) by Sarah J. Maas
    9th - Assassin's Fate (Fitz and the Fool, #3) by Robin Hobb
    25th - Skullsworn (The Chronicle of the Unhewn Throne) by Brian Staveley

JUNE
    6th - You Die When You Die (West of West, #1) by Angus Watson
    6th - The Kill Society (Sandman Slim #9) by Richard Kadrey
    6th - The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne M. Valente
    13th - The Rise and Fall of D.O.D.O. by Neal Stephenson
    20th - Age of Swords (The Legends of the First Empire, #2) by Michael J. Sullivan
    27th - The Legion of Flame (The Draconis Memoria, #2) by Anthony Ryan
    27th - The Queen of Swords (Golgotha #3) by R. S. Belcher

JULY
    11th - Besieged: Stories from The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne
    20th - Princess of Blood (The God Fragments, #2) by Tom Lloyd
    25th - God's Last Breath (Bring Down Heaven #3) by Sam Sykes
    xx - Waters and the Wild by Jo Zebedee

AUGUST
    8th - Deadhouse Landing (Path to Ascendancy, #2) by Ian C. Esslemont
    15th - The Stone Sky (The Broken Earth, #3) by N. K. Jemisin
    15th - The Core (The Demon Cycle, #5) by Peter V. Brett
    22nd - Ball Lightning by Cixin Liu
    22nd - The Massacre of Mankind by Stephen Baxter

SEPTEMBER
    5th - White Trash Zombie Unchained (White Trash Zombie #6) by Diana Rowland
    26th - Sleeping Beauties by Stephen King and Owen King

OCTOBER
    3rd - A Plague of Giants (The Seven Kennings, #1) by Kevin Hearne
    3rd - What the Hell Did I Just Read: A Novel of Cosmic Horror (John Dies at the End #3) by David Wong
    19th - The Book of Dust (The Book of Dust Trilogy #1) by Philip Pullman
    19th - The Fall of Dragons (The Traitor Son Cycle #5) by Miles Cameron (UK pub date)

NOVEMBER
    14th - Oathbringer (The Stormlight Archive #3) by Brandon Sanderson
    14th - Artemis by Andy Weir

DECEMBER

[​IMG]
    Iron Gold (Iron Gold #1) by Pierce Brown - moved to Jan 2018.
    Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9) by Kevin Hearne - April 3rd 2018

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Jon Snow

Jon Snow No Power in the Verse can stop me Staff Member

You have a great list here. Mine definitely has a few more not on here. It should go up this week. @btkong needs to format the thing, but he's having too much fun shovelling snow back home in Canada instead of sweating it out in Thailand.

3. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Deadhouse Landing having a release date makes me happy.

4. jo zebedee

jo zebedee Journeyed there and back again

Hi @Alucard - can I bat my eyelids for Waters and the Wild (By me) to be added into July? Publisher is Inspired Quill

Thanks so much!

Jo

5. Alucard

6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Ordinarily I would've rushed out (or promptly logged in to my Amazon account) to buy this, but £9.99 for a 200ish page story is a lot of money! I think I'll wait until the price comes down.

7. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

Meanwhile, I can't believe Tad Williams is capable of completing a work of fiction in only 200 pages.

8. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Great list again, Alucard. Thanks for all the work you put into it.

9. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

I really want to read this, and the first trilogy before that of course. I just hope that with a continuation of the original there will be new version released. Like they did with Robin Hobbs works when Fool's Assassin was announced.

I'm usually not that picky about covers, but the Dragonbone Chair is some of the worst I've seen.

10. TomTB

It was meant to be a short story, that apparently grew out of hand somewhat, and ended up being much longer than anticipated.

11. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

That sounds like the Tad Williams I am familiar with!

12. Alucard

I agree. That's basically a bit longer than a novella.
    Anyway it might be worth your money to check this https://www.overdrive.com/libraries and see if you have a library in your town that lends on kindle.
    If there is, you'll save a small fortune over time.

13. TomTB

I quite like the UK one ...

Dragonbone.jpg

14. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I heard there is a misprint somewheree with the title 'the dragonboner chair'. Would definitely like to get my hand on that one (the book, not the dragonboner).

15. Cyphon

Cyphon Journeyed there and back again

Not a whole lot there for me but some big ones. Thank you for the work in getting this out. Here is my order of anticipation.

1. Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson - I assume this is a long shot but if it does come out it is easily number 1 for me. The only negative is that I am probably going to have to go through the first 2 monsters again which will take some planning and time away from any other books.

2. The Core by Peter V. Brett - I know many have soured on this as the books have gone on but I am still more or less fully invested. This has just been one of those series that I liked so much early on that most of the negatives don't bother me. Slow pace? No worries, I enjoy getting more and more even if it isn't at a blistering speed.

2a. Iron Gold by Pierce Brown - Haven't seen, heard, and don't know a single thing about this book but after The Red Rising trilogy you can count me in on anything he puts out until he fails me. Tempted to move this to number 1 I enjoyed that series so much.

4. Bound by Benedict Jacka - These are always very short but enjoyable. Not expecting anything mind blowing but it will be a nice treat when it drops.

5. Besieged: Stories of The Iron Druid Chronicles by Kevin Hearne. I assume this is a bunch of short stories based in the verse. If it were the next installment I might throw it above Bound.

6. A Plague of Giants by Kevin Hearne - A new work by an established author I have previously enjoyed is always exciting even if I know nothing about it. See 2a.

7. Snapshot by Brandon Sanderson - Again, something I know nothing about but an author I like.

8. Red Sister by Mark Lawrence - Will have to look into this one to see if I will even pursue it. I liked his first trilogy, am kind of meh on the 2nd, and overall as an author he isn't someone I get particularly excited about.

16. Ser Pounce

Ser Pounce Journeyed there and back again

The books that caught my attention. Though I think Tyrant's Throne won't be released in the U.S. until June. The UK release has always been a couple months ahead.

Awesome job as always @Alucard and @Jon Snow

17. Khartun

Khartun Journeyed there and back again

November can't get here soon enough!

18. Bierschneeman

Bierschneeman Journeyed there and back again

White trash zombies....sounds like a really classy novel of high quality

19. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

@Alucard read some of those books. I believe she found them palatable enough (although I could be wrong, I've been known to mistakenly attribute certain opinions to Alucard before).

20. Alucard

It's a great urban fantasy. I highly recommend it. I've listened to all of them and Diana Rowland really managed to create a different spin on zombie genre, as well as deal with more serious topics of domestic abuse and substance abuse. They feature one of the most believable and lovable female character I have ever had the pleasure to read about.
    Urban fantasy rarely is on the classy side of things, but these books are of high quality in the genre they represent.

Keep an open mind and try audiobook version. It's great. I can't wait for the sequel, and I'll probably read other Rowland works. She's awesome.

Not just palatable. I'm a big fan of these books. So kinda off the mark again? :D

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017