Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2017

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Alucard, Jan 1, 2017.

1. ReguIa

ReguIa Journeyed there and back again

Does anyone know if Naomi Novik is working on anything new? I read Uprooted in 2015 and liked it a lot then, and now little over a year later I think it was absolutely fantastic and amazing. I really want more stuff from her.

I read a little about her main series, Temeraire? but it doesn't really intrigue me and seems vastly different from the dark fairy tale style of Uprooted.

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

@Regula
    According to Novik, there is no Uprooted sequel in the works, but her new novel is inspired by Rumpelstiltskin.
    That sounds more similar to Uprooted, than her Temeraire series.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ReguIa

That sounds really interesting. Will definitely check something like that out!

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Maark Abbott

Maark Abbott Journeyed there and back again

Anna from the Grimdark Readers & Writers group over on Facebook has her debut out this year via Harper Voyager. Court of Broken Knives. I'll see if I can dig up a release date.

5. Teresa Edgerton

Teresa Edgerton Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I bought The Heart of What Was Lost but haven't read it yet. It does look very thin by modern standards, but I can remember a time when a lot of science fiction and fantasy came in around 200 pages.

6. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

It was initially just meant to be a short story, but Tad got carried away and it ended up being longer than he intended. I'll also be reading this .. most likely just before the new Osten Ard novel later this year.

7. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

It's not like he's a stranger to endless exposition.

8. Theophania

Theophania A Poet of the Khaiem

The Massacre of Mankind is already out on Kindle and audiobook in the UK - make sure you get the Stephen Baxter one, not the one with the same title by some other bloke. Unless you want the one by the other bloke. In which case, make sure you don't end up with Stephen Baxter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. kenubrion

"The sequel to War of the Worlds". If only Baxter could write as well as he claims greatness.

It's not available here in the US until August. We can't handle it.

10. Ser Pounce

Ser Pounce Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Bad news, Iron Gold by Pierce Brown has been pushed back to January 2018. Good news, an excerpt will be sent out next week for those signed up. Read here for more details. Take your time Pierce, I only wished certain other authors delays were only six months instead of six years.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2017
  11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Is that a new book in the Red Rising series? I thought it was a trilogy. Help!

12. Alucard

@Silvion Night
    First Law is also a trilogy, but Abercrombie is writing a 25 years later-new FL trilogy.
    It happens all the time in sf/f genre. Maybe it's the same thing with Red Rising. Not a direct sequel but a continuation.

13. ofer

ofer Journeyed there and back again

It's a new trilogy in the same world, about 10-15 years after the end of the third book. No need to worry - there is a definite end for the first trilogy.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ExTended

ExTended Ran bridges next to Kaladin

As far as I know - it's going to be a sequel trilogy somewhat based on the ending and few selected events from the first trilogy.

But it's going to be quite different in tone I think. One of the character from the original trilogy ( minor spoiler from book three, in case you don't want to know who survives at the end)
    Darrel who had a 1st person limited POV thorought all of the original series
    will continue his journey as one of the four main viewpoint characters in the next series. I cannot remember if some of the other three were previous characters or brand new ones, one of them is going to be completely new, that I remember, but I don't remember who the two remaining POV characters were supposed to be.

The series will take place 10 or 15 years(cannot remember which, but one of the numbers is the right one) after the Morning Star's ending and from the sound of it I think it would be a politic intrigues, war and revenge driven story dealing with the question what the world would be like after the way the original trilogy ended.

Also if I remember correctly we will have cameos from some of the usual suspect characters, so the fan-service will be strong with this series, but for me that's a plus, because I've liked most of them quite enough.

Also as to not be completely off-topic:

Thick as Thieves( Queen's Thief series Book 5) by Megan Whalen Turner is supposed to be released on May 16th 2017. I think that there were one or two people in the forum who have been following the series too, so it might come in handy for the book to be added to the upcoming books post.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  15. ReguIa

Philip Pullman is writing a new trilogy set in the same universe as His Dark Materials:eek:

The book of Dust - October 19 - 2017

Wow this is super exciting!

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Alucard

17. GiovanniDeFeo

GiovanniDeFeo Firsthanded the newest Caine adventure

The bear and the nightingale rocks, on so many different levels.
    If you are even remotely interested in russian folklore (or good characters; or great writing) go pick it up like now...

18. Alucard

I'm subscribed to Oberon's Shenanigans, an newsletter from Kevin Hearne, so here's some news from my favorite urban fantasy writer:

[​IMG]

"This collection of new stories features two narrated by Owen, including how he came to take on Atticus as an apprentice back when he was a wee lad in Ireland. The other Owen story is one of my favorites, showing him training his grove and letting us learn more about his apprentices. It's a moment in that story, by the way, that has Atticus and Owen looking so worried on the cover. BESIEGED also has a story narrated by Granuaile, another by Perun, and five by Atticus. Consider this book 8.5, since five of the stories take place after STAKED and lead us into SCOURGED. (I'm working on SCOURGED now and will let you know as soon as I hear about a publication date.)"

[​IMG]

"I'm so excited to finally show this to y'all! This is my epic fantasy (the first of a new trilogy) that will be out Oct. 17! It's 624 pages, so, you know, twice as long as an Iron Druid book. Definitely epic. And so very full of spiffy extras. It will have a map drawn by yours truly on the front endpapers and illustrations by Yvonne Gilbert too—if there's ever a book you'd want to get in hardcover, this is it (though the map and illustrations will be in the ebook too). This will also be available in audiobook but I don't have details on the narrators yet.

A PLAGUE OF GIANTS sends us to a continent attacked by two separate armies of giants after many years of peace, and its people must figure out how to stop forces that appear to be unstoppable. Told from multiple points of view and featuring my typical attention to the natural world, I hope you'll give it a try and enjoy the heck out of it."

Love the Plague of Giants cover. So excited for both books!

• Like Like x 2
  19. kenubrion

The Master (Master and Mages) by Miles Cameron drops on March 2 2017. First book of a new series. $9.99

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Maste...d=1487784959&sr=1-2&keywords=master+and+mages

'A powerful story about beginnings, coming of age, and the way choosing to take one step towards violence can lead to a slippery and dangerous slope, this is an accomplished fantasy series driven by strong characters and fast-paced action.'

'A stirring, gritty and at times quite brutal epic fantasy' Tor.com

'This series promises to be the standout epic fantasy for the ages' Fantasy Book Critic

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  20. Alucard

@kenubrion
    The link you gave leads to Page not found. I believe there was an amazon page, but they deleted it.
    UK amazon has the date at 15th Feb 2018 and another date at 11th Jan 2018 (both for paperback editions).
    Orionbooks.co.uk (which is Gollancz page as Cameron's publisher) has no dedicated page for this book.
    I think it's safe to say that so far, it's unclear if this will be published in 2017.
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Masters-Mages-Miles-Cameron/dp/1473217679
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Master-Masters-Mages-Miles-Cameron/dp/1473217687

What a publishing mess and incompetence. I feel sorry for Cameron.