Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2018

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Here it is, a new list. For the start anyway. Only books which have listing on Amazon (UK or US) are listed. Standard no-shows (Martin, Rothfuss, Lynch, Butcher) do not have confirmed dates so they are not on the list.
If you have a title, as always comment and I will put it on the list.

JANUARY
9th - The Infernal Battalion (The Shadow Campaigns, #5) by Django Wexler
16th - Iron Gold (Iron Gold #1) by Pierce Brown
23rd - Starlings by Jo Walton

FEBRUARY
20th - A Time of Dread (Blood and Bone, #1) by John Gwynne
27th - The Tangled Lands by Paolo Bacigalupi

MARCH
6th - Good Guys by Steven Brust
7th - Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor (UK date)
20th - A Veil of Spears (The Song of the Shattered Sands #3) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
20th - Thin Air by Richard K. Morgan (UK date)
22nd - The Man with One Name (The God Fragments, #3) by Tom Lloyd (UK date)

APRIL
3rd - Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9) by Kevin Hearne
3rd - Grey Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #2) by Mark Lawrence
3rd - The Night Dahlia (Nightwise, #2) by R. S. Belcher
5th - The Hyena and the Hawk (Echoes of the Fall, #3) by Adrian Tchaikovsky
17th - Age of War (The Legends of the First Empire, #3) by Michael J. Sullivan
17th - Season of Storms (The Witcher, #8) by Andrzej Sapkowski
17th - Head On (Lock In #2) by John Scalzi

MAY
15th - Wrath of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #2) by Brian McClellan
17th - The Ember Blade (Ember Blade #1) by Chris Wooding
31st - Barren (The Demon Cycle Universe) by Peter V. Brett

JUNE
5th - The Land You Never Leave (West of West, #2) by Angus Watson
5th - Brief Cases (The Dresden Files #15.1) by Jim Butcher
14th - Ravencry (Raven's Mark #2) by Ed McDonald (UK date)
14th - The Deathless (The Deathless, #1) by Peter Newman (UK date)
xx - Lies Sleeping (Peter Grant #7) by Ben Aaronovitch

JULY
3rd - The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3) by Anthony Ryan
5th - Marked (Alex Verus, #9) by Benedict Jacka (UK date)
10th - Bloody Rose (The Band #2) by Nicholas Eames
24th - Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1) by Kevin Hearne & Delilah S. Dawson
26th - Redemption's Blade: After the War by Adrian Tchaikovsky
xx - Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1) by Miles Cameron

AUGUST
7th - Alternate Routes by Tim Powers
9th - The Thousand and One (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #2) by Saladin Ahmed (UK date)
14th - The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3) by Katherine Arden
28th - Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim, #10) by Richard Kadrey
30th - The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5) by Brent Weeks (UK date)

SEPTEMBER
6th - Empire of Grass (The Last King of Osten Ard, #2) by Tad Williams (UK date)
25th - Port of Shadows (Chronicles of The Black Company #2.5) by Glen Cook

OCTOBER
18th - Spelltrigger by Sam Sykes (UK date)

NOVEMBER
20th - The Search for Spark (Willful Child #3) by Steven Erikson

DECEMBER

Last edited:

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
I wanted that to be #16 by Butcher...

There's not much on here that I'm waiting for as I haven't started so many unfinished series. My most anticipated is probably The Burning White, which I hope is the last book like Weeks said it would be.

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin
Thanks, I've bookmarked as usual this thread, although I'm also not particularly impressed with the 2018's line-up thus far.
At a quick glance, the only notable release lacking seems to be Nicholas Eames' Bloody Rose (The Band #2), to be released on the 10th of July.

@Davis Ashura should be also releasing 2 or 3 installments of his new series, The Chronicles of William Wilde, starting on February, but still no listings

Darth Tater

I plan to start book 4 of The Shadow Campaigns (Django Wexler) this week or next so I will look forward to January 15th when the final book is released.

The only other book currently of interest to me on this list is Brent Weeks The Burning White (Lightbringer 5) to be released August 30th. HURRYl!!

Alucard

Staff member
I actually have quite a few I'm interested in for different reasons ofc.

Thin Air by Richard K. Morgan (UK date)
Morgan has really peaked my interest now that I'm reading The Steel Remains (25% in atm). I like his writing.

Scourged (The Iron Druid Chronicles, #9) by Kevin Hearne
This is the finale of one of my favorite series.

The Night Dahlia (Nightwise, #2) by R. S. Belcher
Belcher's books are really one of a kind. Perfect for someone who likes really really dark UF with mythos.

Season of Storms (The Witcher, #8) by Andrzej Sapkowski
I got this one in Serbian couple of years ago but never got to it. I read all of the series in English and so this translation might make me finally get to it.
Chronologically I think SoS is between book 2 and 3.

The Land You Never Leave (West of West, #2) by Angus Watson
This is one of those new series I've been eyeing up and might just have to pick up. The first book is called You Die When You Die. His Iron Age series has got a glowing review from @TomTB on Goodreads.

Kill the Farm Boy (The Tales of Pell, #1) by Kevin Hearne & Delilah S. Dawson
I just love the title :D
I hope this collab will create something funny, that makes fun of fantasy tropes and doesn't take itself too serious. I love those kind of books.
According to GR I might not be far off:
The start of a series pitched as in the style of Discworld and The Princess Bride, that takes an irreverent spin on classic fantasy tropes and storybook magic.

Hollywood Dead (Sandman Slim, #10) by Richard Kadrey
This is one of my favorite UF series.

The Winter of the Witch (Winternight Trilogy, #3) by Katherine Arden
I've read The Bear and the Nightingale earlier this year and I liked it well enough. Second book is coming out tomorrow so I'll check that out too.

kenubrion

Thanks Alucard. This is my favorite thread every year. That's a lot of work you do for us.

Davis Ashura

Told lies with Locke
@Davis Ashura should be also releasing 2 or 3 installments of his new series, The Chronicles of William Wilde, starting on February, but still no listings
Ack! I guess I should get the books listed soon. But first, the audiobooks need to be narrated. Speaking of, I'm actually talking to Nick Podehl tonight about the narration for books 1-2. The preliminary release dates are Feb. 27th, 2018 (my oldest son's birthday), June 18th (youngest son's birthday), and October 31st (my sister's birthday. And Halloween).

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
I am actually very excited about many of the titles on the list. More for some than for others, of course.

And many thanks for the diligent work - that's my favorite forum thread each year. :)

Cyphon

A good bit to like for me and nice to have it spread out over the year. Here is my list of most anticipate in order:

1. Iron Gold by Pierce Brown - I have said and will keep saying that I just love The Red Rising trilogy and it is easily some of the best out over the last 3-4 years. Can't help but to anticipate a new release in the same universe although there is some worry based on just how good the original trilogy was. Going to be tough to match.

2. The Burning White by Brent Weeks - Another one of my favorite series and this would have been number 1 for me if I hadn't been disappointed by the last book. It was the weakest book of the series so it gives me a little pause but if this is the ending I think it will go out with a bang.

3. Wrath of Empire by Brian McClellan - Putting this as 3rd but it is a bit of a wildcard because I am 2 books into the original trilogy and really liking it but there are some unknowns so this is more of a guess than the others are. Will I like the conclusion of the trilogy? How good is the first book after the original trilogy?

4. Marked by Benedict Jacka - Not a series that gets a lot of love around here but in my opinion it is definitely one of the most consistent. Doesn't offer the highs of some of the better series out there but never hits any bad lows either. I guess the main issue too is just how short these books are compared to everything else. It is missing something to keep it from being great but for whatever reason this is the urban fantasy I want next if I have to choose.

5. Scourged by Kevin Hearne - I have never LOVED this series but have always enjoyed it and another book is certainly fine by me. Can't say that I am excited about it but I will definitely buy it and read it. A good series for sure.

6. Brief Cases by Jim Butcher - Once upon a time this would have maybe been as high as number 2 on my list but after going through all of the audiobooks again earlier this year I kind of lost my taste for it. These books are still a lot of fun but man, I found myself getting annoyed by Harry a lot of the time and when the main character starts to annoy you it is hard to get past that.

7. Barren by Peter V. Brett - At times I feel like I am possibly the only fan of this series after the first book but whatever, I did enjoy it. Not sure what this book even is though so have no choice but to put it at the bottom.

And lastly some honorable mentions:

The Ember Blade by Chris Wooding - I didn't love the Ketty Jay books but I liked them enough that I will eventually check the synopsis on this and maybe give it a look.

Lies Sleeping by Ben Aaronovitch - Honestly don't even know where I left off with these. Was listening to the audiobooks to pass the time at work and they were never good enough for me to fully pursue buying into this series. May or may not revisit it.

The Empire of Ashes by Anthony Ryan - I have the first book but haven't read it yet and wasn't even aware a 2nd one had already been released. His first book was so good and his ending to the trilogy so bad that I just don't know where to go with him. Obviously I bought the first book in the new series so am willing to give him a 2nd chance but sheesh, that ending left such a bad taste that I don't know when I will actually pick it up.

Alucard

Staff member
Not sure what this book even is though so have no choice but to put it at the bottom.
According to Amazon listing:

After The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold and Messenger's Legacy comes Barren, an enchanting new novella set in the much-loved world of the Demon Cycle series.

Brief Cases by Jim Butcher
Fyi this is a collection of short stories, mostly old stuff

Amazon description:

Return to Chicago with a brand-new Dresden Files novella, plus other reader favorites featuring Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and his friends, as they solve supernatural mysteries, protect the helpless, and fight evil:

* "Curses", from THE NAKED CITY, edited by Ellen Datlow
* "AAAA Wizardry", from the Dresden Files RPG
* "Even Hand", from DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS, edited by P. N. Elrod
* "B is for Bigfoot", from UNDER MY HAT: TALES FROM THE CAULDRON, edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT
* "I was a Teenage Bigfoot", from BLOOD LITE 3: AFTERTASTE, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* "Bigfoot on Campus", from HEX APPEAL, edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* "Bombshells", from DANGEROUS WOMEN, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
* "Jury Duty", from UNBOUND, edited by Shawn Speakman
* "Cold Case", from SHADOWED SOULS, edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes
* "Day One", from UNFETTERED II, edited by Shawn Speakman
* "A Fistful of Warlocks", from STRAIGHT OUTTA TOMBSTONE, edited by David Boop
* "Zoo Day" - brand-new novella, original to this collection<

Cyphon

According to Amazon listing:

After The Great Bazaar and Brayan's Gold and Messenger's Legacy comes Barren, an enchanting new novella set in the much-loved world of the Demon Cycle series.

Fyi this is a collection of short stories, mostly old stuff

Amazon description:

Return to Chicago with a brand-new Dresden Files novella, plus other reader favorites featuring Harry Dresden, the only wizard in the Chicago phone book, and his friends, as they solve supernatural mysteries, protect the helpless, and fight evil:

* "Curses", from THE NAKED CITY, edited by Ellen Datlow
* "AAAA Wizardry", from the Dresden Files RPG
* "Even Hand", from DARK AND STORMY KNIGHTS, edited by P. N. Elrod
* "B is for Bigfoot", from UNDER MY HAT: TALES FROM THE CAULDRON, edited by Jonathan Strahan. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT
* "I was a Teenage Bigfoot", from BLOOD LITE 3: AFTERTASTE, edited by Kevin J. Anderson. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* "Bigfoot on Campus", from HEX APPEAL, edited by P. N. Elrod. Republished in WORKING FOR BIGFOOT.
* "Bombshells", from DANGEROUS WOMEN, edited by George R. R. Martin and Gardner Dozois
* "Jury Duty", from UNBOUND, edited by Shawn Speakman
* "Cold Case", from SHADOWED SOULS, edited by Jim Butcher and Kerrie Hughes
* "Day One", from UNFETTERED II, edited by Shawn Speakman
* "A Fistful of Warlocks", from STRAIGHT OUTTA TOMBSTONE, edited by David Boop
* "Zoo Day" - brand-new novella, original to this collection<
Ah well....the Butcher stuff is disappointing. The Brett novella I can get behind though. I have liked the other novellas.

And thanks for providing the info.

Alice Sabo

Helped Logen count his fingers
Just got a note from Amazon that Anne Bishop has a new book in the world of the Others coming out March 6, 2018 - Lake Silence.

I love The Others series and am disappointed that this is a companion not a continuation. But I will happily read it. The world is very different - humans are low on the totem pole. There might be a tad of romance thrown in there, but not enough to annoy me. It has a lot of the tropes - shapeshifters, vampires, but not in the usual sense. They are more like powerful political parties, some pro-human but most not. I have to admit that the covers don't give justice to the story.

GreyMouser

Iron Gold is top on my list.

Good Guys by Steven Brust is very intriguing to me. The Vlad Taltos books were so much fun to read back when I was in highschool, I hope he can still do it.

Kalavan

Ran bridges next to Kaladin

Alucard

Staff member