Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2018

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
January 7th - Incarnate dropped onto Kindle.

Don't know if it counts as it just kind of went up but it's there.

Also I think Erikson may be releasing his serious sci-fi later this year, I'll keep an ear out and let you know.

ReguIa

sci-fi by Erikson sounds interesting. I haven't read anything by him yet so I might try that. Malazan is too long for me to jump into right now, as I've decided to read one or two of Hobb's trilogies.

Maark Abbott

sci-fi by Erikson sounds interesting. I haven't read anything by him yet so I might try that. Malazan is too long for me to jump into right now, as I've decided to read one or two of Hobb's trilogies.
Malazan is completely worth it but I get that it's huge (the average length is maybe 300k words per book give or take - most Ready indeed). The Willful Child series is a slapstick homage to Star Trek, but Erikson's next release is going to be actual, serious, non-parody sci-fi. It'll be interesting to see where it goes for sure.

ExTended

Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron is due to come out in 1st of March.

This would the concluding novel in her Heartstrikers series, which I consider to be her better fantasy series compared to the Eli Monpress books.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
January 7th - Incarnate dropped onto Kindle.
Added to the list.
Dark Age: Book 5 of the Red Rising Saga will drop on Sept 11 2018.
Thank you
Last Dragon Standing by Rachel Aaron is due to come out in 1st of March.
First time I've heard of her. Added ;)
Actually this third book in the Sleeping Giants series might be sci-fi.
SF is completly ok to go on this list :) Thank you!
I think Tom has been reading this series, and I think he likes it (?).

List is updated now, thank you all.
Keep the entries coming!

Kalavan

ExTended

G. R. R. Martin is riding the TV series success for all his worth. I do wonder aren't 100mil. copies sold enough for him to afford all the sandwiches and stuff he could ever wish for? Disgusting.

Patrick Rothfuss is also diligent in taking notes from him - nothing better than a simultaneous release of a TV show and a book, huh? Keeping a finished( according to his own words) book in editing for 14 years is beyond insulting to anyone who is waiting for his trilogy to finally be over. What are 4-5 more years of waiting between friends, after all?

One could almost be content that fantasy is being glossed over by the filming industry more often than not, if such laughable delays and blatant money-grabing tactics are the best we could expect from publishers and authors at the faintest whiff of possible gold piles.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
This is ridiculous. But to be honest, I've stopped looking out for the release of those books. It's like I don't care anymore. I'm not sure I will even read them when they eventually come out (the release itself is getting more unlikely by the month).

kenubrion

The Accidental War by Walter Jon Williams (Quillifer) drops September 4. It is the first book in a new trilogy in the Praxis world that began originally with the Dread Empire's Fall military science fiction and space opera trilogy, the best by far of that genre.

ExTended

Yeah, I am eagerly awaiting the audiobook version to come out somewhere this month as well. If I had a "Surprisingly good fantasy series list", this one would've certainly been hugging one of the top positions in it.

kenubrion

FYI book 2 of Awaken Online: Precipice is a Kindle daily deal today at $2.49 on Amazon US anyway. So this is some good readin huh?

ExTended

FYI book 2 of Awaken Online: Precipice is a Kindle daily deal today at $2.49 on Amazon US anyway. So this is some good readin huh?
The first book is an immensely satisfying read. A character similar to Geder in moral complexity( an outsider in his own small world) enters the newest virtual reality game to escape his problems. And he kind off goes full tilt at it. I haven't read Heroes Die, but I am pretty sure it has a similar concept from what I've heard about the latter one.

Last edited:

Khartun

I was skeptical because it has a 4.9 rating with almost 700 reviews but it also has a 4.5 on GR with 3245 reviews. I'll have to pick it up. I've been meaning to try out a LitRPG for a while now.