Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2019

ReguIa

Journeyed there and back again
Most of the books I was interested in are bunched up in the 2nd half of 2019 and that's both great and a little bit over-whelming too with all the time I'd have to take away from Malazan to make time for all the new releases. :)
It's good and bad for me too. I will just have started school again when TBW comes out. And a 1000 page distraction isn't something I can afford haha..

ExTended

So there were those rumors started by the guy who played Sir Barristan Selmy that George had both last books finished and ready for publication, but way playing dead possum because of some deal with HBO/D&D.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/13/idiocy-on-the-internet/

Yeah... the rumor's not true.

All of a sudden this crazy story about my finishing THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING years ago is popping up everywhere. No, I am not going to provide links. I don’t want to reward purveyors of misinformation with hits.

I will, however, say for the record — no, THE WINDS OF WINTER and A DREAM OF SPRING are not finished. DREAM is not even begun; I am not going to start writing volume seven until I finish volume six

It seems absurd to me that I need to state this. The world is round, the Earth revolves around the sun, water is wet… do I need to say that too?
Well, at least he's proud of the fact that there aren't books 6 and 7 waiting around in his drawer. Why would anyone think that 9 years are enough for him to finish 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or more books if he wanted to? Ridiculous, I know.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So there were those rumors started by the guy who played Sir Barristan Selmy that George had both last books finished and ready for publication, but way playing dead possum because of some deal with HBO/D&D.

http://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2019/05/13/idiocy-on-the-internet/

Yeah... the rumor's not true.

Well, at least he's proud of the fact that there aren't books 6 and 7 waiting around in his drawer. Why would anyone think that 9 years are enough for him to finish 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 or more books if he wanted to? Ridiculous, I know.
HA HA Ha ha he he heeeee.........:banghead:

ExTended

Apparently Scott Lynch and G. R. R. Martin had their manuscripts kidnapped by the same malicious entity, which was, in all likelihood - tracked down and detained last night, and the two authors had finally received their new books back. I mean - there's no other explanation for Martin hinting at possibly being close to finishing Winds of Winter and rumors for a Fall of 2020 publication date( and him being coy about it in his blog), and not 24h after that Scott Lynch tweeting that he has finally finished the first draft of Emberlain, and having it sent to his editors for feedback.

The question for a million dollars is - did Patrick Rothfuss had a contract with HBO and D&D too, i.e. not to publish any books before GoT TV Show officially ended?

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Apparently Scott Lynch and G. R. R. Martin had their manuscripts kidnapped by the same malicious entity, which was, in all likelihood - tracked down and detained last night, and the two authors had finally received their new books back. I mean - there's no other explanation for Martin hinting at possibly being close to finishing Winds of Winter and rumors for a Fall of 2020 publication date( and him being coy about it in his blog), and not 24h after that Scott Lynch tweeting that he has finally finished the first draft of Emberlain, and having it sent to his editors for feedback.

The question for a million dollars is - did Patrick Rothfuss had a contract with HBO and D&D too, i.e. not to publish any books before GoT TV Show officially ended?
Fall 2020... When was ADWD released? Summer 2011. That's 9 years for 1 book. Ridiculous. By this time it will be 2030 for a Dream of Spring. ..

kenubrion

Dark Forge, book 2 of Masters and Mages by Miles Cameron, drops Sep 17, 2019. Bright Steel, book 3 of Masters and Mages, hits the streets on December 10 2019.

ExTended

To be honest this culture of treating authors like celebrities and having them at cons probably helps this frustrating situations to continue more than anything else. Having to fly to different locations so often and losing whole days for conventions and bookstore signings and all that non-writing crap, preparing for hosting panels, social media... it's just too much.

Even I would get distracted in such a situation and some are obviously dealing with their diminished writing time worse than others.

Whomever came up with the idea of book tours was a marketing genius and a literary criminal. Way to keep an author away from writing - give him fame, money and back-pats for not writing...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Unless your name is Brandon Sanderson. Some may not like his works but no one can deny he's one of the best things that's ever happened to fantasy literature.
Fully agreed! He's a great manager of his own time. A very integer man, who doesn't make any promises that he cannot live up to and who always manages expectations.

Rothfuss and GRRM on the other hand...

Derk of Derkholm

Waiting for some news from Jim Butcher ... (as of yet no dates confirmed, only the titles)

Dresden #16: Peace Talks
Cinder Spires #2: The Olympian Affair

kenubrion

Quillifer the Knight, the sequel to Walter Jon William's great Quillifer, will be released on November 5 2019.

ExTended

Doors of Stone has been updated on Amazon and Bookdepository to be released on Aug 20th 2020.

Granted, if I remeber correctly the latter are owned by the former, so it could be someone from Amazon giving Bookdepository the wrong information.