Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2020

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Hi guys,

Here we are again, it's new year again, as well as new decade this time. Hope all of you had wonderful holidays.
As many times before I collected some of the more anticipated titles that are to be published this year. Second half of the year is lacking because hardly anything is confirmed for that time. It's just the way publishing works I guess.

I only posted books that have amazon listings, that I'm fairly sure aren't placeholders. So for example, while Stormlight Archive #4 is set for 17th of November, there's no title and the date is probably just a placeholder. Although I'm pretty sure Sanderson will come true for all you that are fans of his work. He's got a good track record so far :)
As far as the date of publishing I always choose the first edition. So for some books of mainly british authors that's the british version of the book. They usually come out earlier in the U.K than US.

One thing that I'm not confident about at all are the debut authors for this year. I got to admit I'm out of the loop for that section. If you are anticipating any debuts please let me know and I'll put them on the list.
For all our resident authors/members, if you have a book that's coming out this year let me know here in the thread. Provide the publishing date and I'll put you on the list.
As always if I made a mistake somewhere or forgot someone let me know and I'll correct it immediately.

For me personally the year is a bit light on the authors I like. Steven Erikson is not coming out with Karsa's trilogy this year. One of my favourite urban fantasy authors R. S. Belcher is not coming out with anything in either of his two UF series (Nightwise and The Brotherhood of the Wheel). Ed McDonald made me fall in love with his grimdark fantasy last year, but this year he hasn't announced anything. I don't know, feels like slim pickings for me personally. I think 2020 will be a year of returning to some of my favourite authors and reading their other series.
What about you guys? How do you feel about announced titles? Are you excited for something?

Happy reading!

JANUARY

7th - City of Stone and Silence (The Wells of Sorcery Trilogy, #2) by Django Wexler
21st - Agency by William Gibson

FEBRUARY

4th - Age of Death (The Legends of the First Empire, #5) by Michael J. Sullivan
4th - A Blight of Blackwings (The Seven Kennings, #2) by Kevin Hearne
20th - False Value (Peter Grant, #8) by Ben Aaronovitch

MARCH

3rd - Forced Perspectives (Vickery and Castine, #2) by Tim Powers
5th - By Force Alone by Lavie Tidhar
26th - The City We Became by N. K. Jemisin

APRIL

7th - A Time of Courage (Of Blood and Bone, #3) by John Gwynne
21st - Shorefall (The Founders Trilogy, #2) by Robert Jackson Bennett
30th - The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1) by Mark Lawrence

MAY

5th - Age of Empyre (The Legends of the First Empire, #6) by Michael J. Sullivan
5th - Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries - Novel) by Martha Wells
20th - The Windscale Incident by Paul Kearney
28th - The Doors of Eden by Adrian Tchaikovsky

JUNE

9th - The Tyrant Baru Cormorant (The Masquerade, #3) by Seth Dickinson
30th - Interlibrary Loan (A Borrowed Man, #2) by Gene Wolfe

JULY

2nd - The Black Song (Raven's Blade, #2) by Anthony Ryan
14th - Peace Talks (The Dresden Files, #16) by Jim Butcher
14th - When Jackals Storm the Walls (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #5) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
23rd - Play of Shadows (The Duellist, #1) by Sebastien de Castell

AUGUST

6th - The Boundless (The Deathless, #3) by Peter Newman
25th - Ballistic Kiss (Sandman Slim, #11) by Richard Kadrey
25th - Ink & Sigil (Ink & Sigil, #1) by Kevin Hearne

SEPTEMBER

3rd - Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1) by Jay Kristoff
15th - Piranesi by Susanna Clarke

- TO BE CONTINUED -

Cyphon

Journeyed there and back again
Thanks for putting this up Alucard!

On initial glance there are only 2 I will definitely be reading so maybe it will be time to give some new authors a go or possibly give some other authors a 2nd chance. The 2 for me are the new Dresden Files book which will be a must and then I see a new one from Sebastien De Castell which has me intrigued.

Kevin Hearne is someone I may have to revist. I liked the Iron Druid series but wasn't excited to jump into his new stuff. The other one would be the Peter Grant stuff by Aaronovitch. I was listening to some of the audiobooks awhile back and liked them well enough but while waiting for a new one this series sort of got lost in the mix.

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Kevin Hearne is someone I may have to revisit. I liked the Iron Druid series but wasn't excited to jump into his new stuff.
I tried and hate to say it but I quit on A Plague of Giants after about a 100 pages. It was bad. Unlike Iron Druid where you have a light and entertaining writing style, this book was written in such a confusing way that I couldn't tell you who is the main character and what was going on. I think Hearne tried going for a serious, epic, heavy style and it flopped spectacularly. In my opinion.

I think this new series is in Iron Druid universe, but don't quote me on that. So my hopes are tentatively up this time :)

Cyphon

I tried and hate to say it but I quit on A Plague of Giants after about a 100 pages. It was bad. Unlike Iron Druid where you have a light and entertaining writing style, this book was written in such a confusing way that I couldn't tell you who is the main character and what was going on. I think Hearne tried going for a serious, epic, heavy style and it flopped spectacularly. In my opinion.

I think this new series is in Iron Druid universe, but don't quote me on that. So my hopes are tentatively up this time :)
Hmmm....Well I guess I won't give Giants a try but you are correct in that the new one is Druid related so that is where I will hop back on the train along with you.

Derk of Derkholm

I second what Cyphon has written, minus the Kevin Hearne part.

Had to stop the Iron Druid after the first book, don't remember exactly why I didn't like it, think the character was too Mary-Sue-ish for my liking.

Darwin

I wasn't too thrilled when I scanned the list, but upon reflection...with books by Abercrombie, Sanderson, Lawrence, etc. coming out, it's probably an above average year.

ReguIa

Oh I really hope that's true. Iron Druid really, really clicked with me. The other 2 I'm looking forward to are Peace Talks and Shorefall.

kenubrion

Abercrombie has said that The Trouble With Peace, Age of Madness book 2, will come out in September 2020. Stormlight Archives book 4 is Nov 17, 2020.
I just finished the first book, A Little Hatred, and it is great. Can't wait for book 2.

kenubrion

I just noticed that many forthcoming books have been listed recently, here are some, please excuse the ones that have already been posted. (I just checked Alucard's list and several of these are already on her listed, sorry about not checking more closely, thank you again Dracula Backwards)

March 30 Along the Razor's Edge Brian McClellan
April 7 A Time of Courage John Gwynne
April 21 The Girl and the Stars Mark Lawrence
April 21 Shorefall Robert Jackson Bennett
April 28 The Lessons Never Learned Rob Hayes
July 7 Unconquerable Sun Kate Elliott
July 14 When Jackals Storm The Walls Bradley Beaulieu
July 14 Peace Talks Jim Butcher
July 14 Queen of Storms Raymond Feist
July 21 Ashes of the Sun Django Wexler
August 4 The Black Song Anthony Ryan
September 15 The Trouble With Peace Joe Abercrombie
September 29 A Deadly Education Naomi Novik
November 17 Rythym of War Brandon Sanderson

On a sci-fi note there is huge news, that Kate Elliott, author of the great Crown of Stars fantasy series, has returned to writing and has written Unconquerable Sun which will drop July 7. The blurb makes it sound very exciting. https://www.amazon.com/Unconquerable-Sun-Kate-Elliott-ebook/dp/B07WPNFXN6

And more, go to this Amazon list https://www.amazon.com/Ashes-Sun-Burningblade-Silvereye-Book-ebook/dp/B07ZZ25BCX

Last edited:

ReguIa

I guess you can add ''Battle Ground'' - Jim Butcher. The sequel to ''Peace Talks'' is coming out September 29. Apparently the original PT draft had a similar word count to a Stormlight book so he tweaked and added some things and made two books instead. Really, really excited for that.