Forthcoming Fantasy and Science Fiction books in 2021

Alucard

In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge!
Staff member
Hi guys,

so here's the list for 2021. Most of the titles are from well established authors or sequels to highly popular and/or anticipated titles or first books in new series from people we love to read here on BFF.
There are a lot of debut fantasy titles this year, and I've looked briefly about them, but none of them look appealing to me personally.
You can check some of them here if you're interested.
As far as big names go, nothing from Jim Butcher, Neil Gaiman, GRRM or Rothfuss again. For me personally the biggest disappointment is that I have to wait until summer of 2022 to read a new series from Ed McDonald. I love his stuff. I also hope new Karsa trilogy book from Steven Erikson is correct with its publishing date, but you never know with these dates in the second half of the year.

As always let me know if I missed anything or if you find something and I'll add it to the list.
For our self-published authors here on BFF, drop a line if you have a new book coming and I'll add it.

JANUARY

19th - Remote Control by Nnedi Okorafor

FEBRUARY

8th - Siege of Rage and Ruin (The Wells of Sorcery Trilogy, #3) by Django Wexler
16th - The Unfinished Land by Greg Bear
16th - The Black Coast(The God-King Chronicles, #1) by Mike Brooks

MARCH

2nd - Later by Stephen King
30th - Rule of Wolves (Nikolai Duology, #2) by Leigh Bardugo

APRIL

13th - The Girl and the Mountain (Book of the Ice, #2) by Mark Lawrence
22nd - Way of the Argos (Spellslinger, #7) by Sebastien de Castell
27th - Fugitive Telemetry (The Murderbot Diaries, #6) by Martha Wells
29th - The Girl and the Mountain (Book of the Ice, #2) by Mark Lawrence

MAY

4th - The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Trilogy, #1) by John Gwynne
4th - Project Hail Mary by Andy Weir
27th - Shards of Earth (The Final Architects Trilogy, #1) by Adrian Tchaikovsky

JUNE

8th - The Hidden Palace (The Golem and the Jinni, #2) by Helene Wecker
22nd - The Witness for the Dead (The Goblin Emperor, #2) by Katherine Addison
24th - Play of Shadows (The Duellist, #1) by Sebastien de Castell
24th - Artifact Space by Miles Cameron
29th - The Last Graduate (The Scholomance, #2) by Naomi Novik

JULY

6th - The Empire's Ruin (Ashes of the Unhewn Throne, #1) by Brian Staveley
13th - A Desert Torn Asunder (The Song of the Shattered Sands, #6) by Bradley P. Beaulieu

AUGUST

3rd - The Desert Prince (The Desert Prince, #1) by Peter V. Brett
3rd - Nolyn (The Rise and Fall, #1) by Michael J. Sullivan
10th - Paper & Blood (Ink & Sigil #2) by Kevin Hearne
24th - Warriors of God (The Hussite Trilogy, #2) by Andrzej Sapkowski

SEPTEMBER

7th - Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1) by Jay Kristoff
14th - The Wisdom of Crowds (The Age of Madness, #3) by Joe Abercrombie
14th - Slewfoot: A Tale of Bewitchery by Brom
17th - The Thorn of Emberlain (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, #4) by Scott Lynch (TENTATIVE DATE. Nobody really knows for sure.)
30th - Invisible Sun (Empire Games, #3) by Charles Stross

OCTOBER

5th - The Navigator's Children (The Last King of Osten Ard, #3) by Tad Williams
7th - Blood of the Chosen (Burningblade & Silvereye, #2) by Django Wexler
13th - Light Perpetual (The Hussite Trilogy, #3) by Andrzej Sapkowski

NOVEMBER
2nd - Leviathan Falls (The Expanse, #9) by James S. A. Corey
2nd - The Veiled Throne (The Dandelion Dynasty, #3) by Ken Liu
4th - Brothers of the Wind (Osten Ard) by Tad Williams
4th - Absynthe (The Days of Dust and Ash, #1) by Bradley P. Beaulieu
9th - The God Is Not Willing (The Witness Trilogy, #1) by Steven Erikson

rudyjuly2

Journeyed there and back again
Thanks for the list!

These are my personal areas of interest. I have never read a Gwynne or Wexler book yet I don’t believe. I may have to change that this year. I liked Stavely last trilogy and am intrigued by Peter Brett too. Didn’t like the end of Demon Cycle that much but will see how this new continuation goes.

May 4th - The Shadow of the Gods (The Bloodsworn Trilogy, #1) by John Gwynne
July 6th - The Empire's Ruin (Ashes of the Unhewn Throne, #1) by Brian Staveley
Aug 3rd - The Desert Prince (The Desert Prince, #1) by Peter V. Brett
Siege of Rage and Ruin (The Wells of Sorcery Trilogy, #3) by Django Wexler

kenubrion

Thank you Alucard! It's a lot of hard work you put into this list.

Cyphon

Awesome work as always Alucard and these threads always get me so excited for the reading year. My list of most antipated:

*The Thorn of Emberlain (The Gentleman Bastard Sequence, #4) by Scott Lynch* - This would be far and away my number 1 but I refuse to get any hopes up until this book is in hand

1. The Desert Prince (The Desert Prince, #1) by Peter V. Brett

Was a fan all the way through on Demon Cycle and even have the short story books from the series. There were a couple of things about the series that irritated me but on the whole I was a big fan.

2. Play of Shadows (The Duellist, #1) by Sebastien de Castell

Love the Greatcoats series from him and am a fan to a much lesser extent of his Spellslinger series so anything new I am pretty excited about.

3. Paper & Blood (Ink & Sigil #2) by Kevin Hearne

Read the first book in this series not too long ago and enjoyed it. Had a similar feel to Iron Druid work and I enjoyed the main character so it will be fun to get back into another book.

4. Way of the Argos (Spellslinger, #7) by Sebastien de Castell

See #2. This series is solid but nothing I am overly excited about.

I will look into some details on a few of these others I am not quite familiar with as well.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks for compiling this list, Alucard!

I second your disappointment regarding Rothfuss and GRRM. Let's face it , might be that WoW is published (don't get your hopes up though), but a Dream of Spring is pretty much certain to never see the light of day...

My most anticipated titles on this list are:

1. Leviathan Falls - final Expanse book, yay!
2. Later (Stephen King) - the blurb looks interesting and I've liked pretty much all of King's book to some degree, so looking forward to this one as well.
3. Shards of Earth (Tchaikowsky) - I liked the Children of Time books, so I'm interested in this new series. Also sounds a bit like the later Expanse books
4. The Thorn of Emberlain - but as you stated, it's all tentative for now, and given previous delays I'm also not too hopeful to be honest.

afa

As @Alucard said, a lot of the books seem to be sequels or related to previous series. Unfortunately, since I haven't read a majority of the series here, my list of those I'm looking forward to is quite short.

April: Fugitive Telemetry - I've read and liked the first 4 novellas of The Murderbot Diaries. Haven't yet read the fifth book (which is actually a full novel), so it will probably be a bit of time before I get to this one, which is once again a novella. And I'll probably wait for a price drop, since my biggest hurdle with the earlier novellas was my reluctance to spend novel prices on them.

July: The Empire's Ruin - I read the original trilogy (Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne) and liked it, though didn't quite love it. Ashes of the Unhewn Throne appears to be a continuation of the series. I might pick it up at some point.

September: The Wisdom of Crowds - I'm surprised no one has yet mentioned this as one of the books they're looking forward to. Is Abercrombie losing his popularity here? I've only just started The Age of Madness, though I have both books, and I hope to have finished them in time to jump on the third one.