Forum Issue: not possible to approve new members

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
As you surely have noticed we haven't had any new members joining the forum in the last half year or so. This problem is caused by a technical issue. The gist of it is that new members can either be (i) automatically approved by the message board (this is how it used to work when the forum was functioning properly), or (ii) have to be approved manually by a person with the proper (admin) rights. Before the big forum upgrade we sometimes had a problem from time to time with the auto-approver (see i above), but it seems that after the forum upgrade it hasn't worked at all. The other option (ii) also doesn't work currently, as none of the admins/mods have the proper rights in order to do manual approvals. For this we need Ben (@btkong, the site owner).

However, the past half year or so Ben hasn't had time to visit the forum much, and therefore the issue hasn't been properly looked into. I see some possible solutions:

1. Ben fixes the auto-approver (this has proven to be difficult in the past)
2. Ben manually approves the new members that are stuck in the cue on a regular basis (currently not feasible, as Ben is not visiting the forum regularly at the moment)
3. Ben allocates the needed rights to manually approve new members that are stuck in the cue to me or one of the other admins/mods.

I have requested Ben to action option 3. He has yet to respond to this query.

So that's where we're currently standing. I felt an update was necessary, as you may have been wondering what has been going on recently.

Khartun

Journeyed there and back again
Yes but it's not just the membership that's broken. There are several issues with the site that need to be addressed. He should allow someone to help with all of the issues if he can't do it. This is a great place but it's a sinking ship at the moment.

I hope Ben isn't in ill health or anything. Do you know why he hasn't been around?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yes but it's not just the membership that's broken. There are several issues with the site that need to be addressed. He should allow someone to help with all of the issues if he can't do it. This is a great place but it's a sinking ship at the moment.

I hope Ben isn't in ill health or anything. Do you know why he hasn't been around?
He's travelling a lot, although I haven't had a chat with him since January, so I'm not sure.

And believe me, we have addressed the other issues as well Khartun. @Jon Snow also sent him an email some time ago. No response yet. There's nothing more we can currently do I'm afraid.

Khartun

He's travelling a lot, although I haven't had a chat with him since January, so I'm not sure.

And believe me, we have addressed the other issues as well Khartun. @Jon Snow also sent him an email some time ago. No response yet. There's nothing more we can currently do I'm afraid.
See, I gave you a like but if we still had the other options I would have given you an Informative. Ha!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Don't know about that.

The forum is just a part of BFB. Maybe he can give someone the same rights on the forum as he has?

Speculation is moot though, as he needs to visit in order to see our plea and to do something about the issue.

jo zebedee

Don't know about that.

The forum is just a part of BFB. Maybe he can give someone the same rights on the forum as he has?

Speculation is moot though, as he needs to visit in order to see our plea and to do something about the issue.
Silly other question - has no one got an alternative way to contact him? Is he on Twitter or Facebook?

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Silly other question - has no one got an alternative way to contact him? Is he on Twitter or Facebook?
Well, I got rid of my Facebook some time ago, so I cannot check. I know there is a BFB Facebook account, but I'm not sure if he's active on there. Maybe someone with a Facebook account can check?

And regarding Twitter: @TomTB is (or was) managing the BFB Twitter. Maybe he can try to reach out to Ben via that way? I'm not sure Ben has an account though, or if he has, whether Tom knows it.

jo zebedee

Well, I got rid of my Facebook some time ago, so I cannot check. I know there is a BFB Facebook account, but I'm not sure if he's active on there. Maybe someone with a Facebook account can check?

And regarding Twitter: @TomTB is (or was) managing the BFB Twitter. Maybe he can try to reach out to Ben via that way? I'm not sure Ben has an account though, or if he has, whether Tom knows it.
Sent a message via the Fbook page. I don’t know Ben’s name to search for him but if any of the mods are on fbook i’d have thought a message that way might work.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
It seems that the Facebook page is still active. I'm not sure who manages that though.

@Jon Snow: could you have a look at this thread? Do you know what's up with Ben?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think he has a separate Twitter account I'm afraid, not that I know of anyway. I don't think there is a means of me contacting him via the Twitter account either.

Khartun

Still no word guys?

I hope nothing bad has happened to him.
It seems strange that someone would put this much work into something and then just let it waste away.

I hope we don't try to log in one day and the site no longer exists.
I think I have a lot of you as friends on GR. If not, send me a request.

@kenubrion, do you have a GR account?

Khartun

Still no word guys?

I hope nothing bad has happened to him.
It seems strange that someone would put this much work into something and then just let it waste away.

I hope we don't try to log in one day and the site no longer exists.
I think I have a lot of you as friends on GR. If not, send me a request.

@kenubrion, do you have a GR account?
And speaking of this has anyone heard from Sneaky? It's been a long time since she's logged in as well.
I hope all is well with her.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Still no word @Khartun. I'm still here lurking. Haven't seen Sneaky around though. Tom has been absent for a while now too. I wouldn't think the worst though, they're probably not here due to the slowly progressing inactivity of the board.

Noor Al-Shanti

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
I've also found it hard to actually get on here and log in of late. Sometimes it takes the forums ages to load and by the time it does I'm already busy with something else. If they're already pretty busy in RL maybe they are having the same issue? Anyway, hope it's resolved. I would hate for this place to just fade away...