Forum Upgrade

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been waiting to do the big upgrade guys to version 2 of the forum. For some reason, some of the old plugins (chat, credit system) don't work right now. So I'm hoping the big upgrade will fix this. I'll take a look this weekend and see what I can do though. Some of the smaller plugins (the smily stuff, I can add back)
Patiently taps foot .....
:)

Darth Tater

Journeyed there and back again
Like everyone, I miss the smilies and all the other "buttons". Cool :cool: stuff, but no biggie and no rush.

Not sure why about 1/3 of all of the entries on the "best" of books are cut off on my iphone. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

All you do is very much appreciated, Ben!!:)

btkong

Staff member
Ok, Xenforo 2 was finally released the other day. So I'm going to upgrade the forum to the brand new version. It's a huge upgrade and it also means all the existing plugins (many of which I have not reinstalled over the past couple months, which has resulted in some missing functionality) won't work so I'll have to find new ones.

But hopefully, this will result in a faster forum, a brand new interface for posting, and a bunch of new in-built features. I'll have to find a new set of plugins though because all the old ones will NOT work as they are not compatible with the new forum.

I'll have this done over today or the weekend. So if the forum is down for a bit or things look different suddenly and some feature are missing (and there are new ones suddenly), this would be why. You'll know though when the new version is installed as everything will look a bit different.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Thanks for the info, Ben! Really looking forward to this. It may sound a bit weird, but I've really grown fond of the various plug ins and the forum was not the same without them.

btkong

Staff member
Thanks for the info, Ben! Really looking forward to this. It may sound a bit weird, but I've really grown fond of the various plug ins and the forum was not the same without them.
Yes, sorry for that delay.

I know we are missing some of the old functionality like the extra social icons, the chat, the credit system.

I knew the new version of the forum was coming out within a month or two and any plugin from the old version would not be compatible, so I didn't install them (and some of them were so outdated they were a security risk to install again) since I knew I'd just have to do the whole thing over again.

I'll have to see what plugins have been upraded to match the new system, so we may still be waiting for some of those old features while the plugins get updated. But I'll take a look more when I do the upgrade over the weekend.

btkong

Staff member
You'll notice everything looks different.

Welcome to Xenfo Forum Version 2. It took the guys about 2 years to build Version 2, so it's a huge upgrade with a lot of new features everywhere.

Here is a breakdown of what's new with Version 2: https://xenforo.com/community/threads/whats-new-in-xenforo-2-0.133426/

All the old plugins are NOT compatible with the new version, so I need to find updated version of the plugins or find replacements built for version 2.

This is why there may be a few old features we had that are missing and why the main forum page may not have the posts and threads as organized as they were.

Bear with me. I'll be trying to add back the functionality with new plugins over the next day or two. IN the mean time, poke around!

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
:);):(:mad::confused::cool::p:D:eek::oops::rolleyes:

Some smileys have been updated as well!

Any plans to re-add the other options besides 'like' (like 'dumb', 'creative' , 'original' etc)?

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Wowzers! This is different. Gonna have to have a poke around me thinks to get my bearings. :cool:

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yes ... its very slow for me too. Thought it was just due to my location currently, but evidently not.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
BFB is now blocked as an unsafe site by my firewall at work. =(

Probably nothing you can do about that, though.

btkong

Staff member
Been gone for a week due to travelling and Christmas activities. Checking up on how the new forum is doing. I heard some complaints here it was slow & has been added to a banned list?

Is it still slow?

btkong

Staff member
Any plans to re-add the other options besides 'like' (like 'dumb', 'creative' , 'original' etc)?
Yes, I need to add some more smilely packets. I thought I got everything as I re-added the old smilelys but maybe I missed some? I'll take a look.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Yes, I need to add some more smilely packets. I thought I got everything as I re-added the old smilelys but maybe I missed some? I'll take a look.
Yeah, it's more the things that used to be next to the Like button. You know, where you could rate a post as 'creative' or 'dumb'. The smileys seem to be all there.