Game of Thrones #7 Updates (no spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Andrew.J, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Hello! Since the news on Game of Thrones have been piling up for a while now I figured I'd put them all in one place. I'm going to update the thread if anything important comes up.

#1 The show will return for Season 7 early in the summer, not in spring as we're used to. Since the 'winter is coming' the producers want to start filming later in the year and finish in February to make use of the dark season. Which doesn't leave enough time for post-production for a spring release.

#2 Season 7 will have only 7 episodes. The show itself is wrapping up in 13-15, leaning more towards 13. That means...

#3 Season 8 will only have 6 (maybe 8) episodes and will be the final season of Game of Thrones.

#4 The directors for the next season are: Alan Taylor, Jeremy Podeswa, Mark Mylod and Matt Shakman. These, for me, are perhaps the most disappointing news - there's no Miguel Sapochnik in the list who directed Battle of the Bastards and The Winds of Winter last season and Hardhome in Season 5. He is, however, going to return for the final episodes of the show in Season 8.

I'm also leaving an in-production tease if anyone's interested. Nothing new but for a single line in the upcoming season.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

Great thread. I've seen snippets of news here and there on the Web. It's nice to have it a tidy overview on the Board.

GRRM and HBO were playing around with the idea to finish Season 8 with a feature film. Haven't heard anything about that though recently. I hope they will follow up on the idea.

3. chongjasmine

chongjasmine Got in a fistfight with Dresden

I am currently watching season 1 of game of thrones.
    Like it, though think the nudity is a bit too much.

4. TomTB

TomTB The Master Tweeter Staff Member

Funny how opinions differ!

5. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

This is debatable ofc, but what do you guys think? Is the lack of new material reason for this, or at least part of the reason?
    I think this is probably the main cause.

6. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

I think it is budget. Notice how Ghost wasn't in many scenes in season 6? All the CGI budget was spent on dragons and such. But with more white walkers, more dragons, etc. in seasons 7 and 8, a shorter season means more $$$ can be spent per episode.

7. Silvion Night

I don't think it's about budget to be honest. I think the source material is running a bit thin. GRRM has only explained the general outline of the story and the ending to D&B. Not much to go on. They'd have to invent a lot of things from scratch and the history of the show shows that when they started doing that, the result was sub-par to say the least. I call this The Hobbit-syndrome.

D&B also often stated that smearing the rest of the story out over more episodes would mean the show would lose momentum. Momentum it finally gained again in the latest season. I think from now on it will be an exhilarating ride to the finish line.

8. Tanniel

Tanniel Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Last season began to tie plot threads and loose ends together, diminishing the number of plot locations that are necessary to depict in next season's episodes; as others surmise, I think the shorter season is simply a reflection of this. They're tightening up the story and trimming the fat.

9. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

It could be that.
    Nice :)

10. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I bloody hope so. I was so blown away in the first season, and then spent much of the rest bemoaning how glacially slow the show was moving because it had to give screen time to characters I ended up loathing or utterly indifferent toward. Reading the books between the first and second season probably didn't help either, as it went from new and novel and unknown to "oh bloody hurry up and get to the attack on The Wall!'.
    Boorish heathen that I am, the political intrigue that constitutes much of the story wore painfully thin with me, so my desire to keep watching is truly on the wane, save for the fact that we're on the home stretch. I'll never re-watch, that's for certain.

11. Andrew.J

I think it's a bit both. I can't recall the exact numbers but I think the budget for Season 6 was around 100 million. That's already an impressive figure for a tv-show and it might have increased for the final seasons too. They're wrapping up the show in 13-15 more episodes and they're making it big. I'm quite happy that they are, though. It's a pity we won't be getting the books first but I don't see how the show could've lasted longer than that without a serious dip in quality. Last season was amazing (a huge step-up from Season 5) and I really hope, like Silvion says, they'll manage to keep the momentum going till the very end.

12. Andrew.J

The release date and a teaser for Season 7 were announced a while back.
    The new season airs 16 July.

It will have 7 episodes. And since then it's been confirmed that Season 8 will only have 6.

13. Ser Pounce

Ser Pounce Journeyed there and back again

Seems to be getting a bit chilly in King's Landing.

14. Ser Pounce

Trailer dropped today. Can it be July 16th already?

15. Ser Pounce

The running times for the season have begun circulating.

Episode 1: 59
    Episode 2: 59
    Episode 3: 63
    Episode 4: 50
    Episode 5: 59
    Episode 6: 71
    Episode 7: 81

Episodes 6 & 7 would become the two longest running episodes for the series to date, beating out the season 6 finale The Winds of Winter that ran for 69 minutes. It's also the longest averaged seven episode stretch,

16. Silvion Night

8x7= 56 minutes. Thats basically an extra episode in terms of airtime