Game of Thrones Season 7 (spoilers)

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Andrew.J, Jul 15, 2017.

1. Andrew.J

Andrew.J Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Season 7 airs tomorrow. Are you excited? Will be you watching? I'm not feeling the hype this year, but I'm still quite excited. Last season was a major step-up in my book and had some amazing episodes. I'm looking forward to seeing what happens this year.

Winter has come!

Here's the trailer:

2. Alucard

Alucard In the name of the Pizza Lord. Charge! Staff Member

I'm not excited at all. I'll wait for a few episodes to come out or wait until the end to watch them all at once. How many episodes are there anyway?

I'm honestly more excited to watch season 2 of Preacher on amazon prime. That show is just, well bonkers is the best word for it; they know it and they dont care. I'm enjoying the heck out of that British actor and the sexy lady.

3. Andrew.J

I'm not really watching TV anymore. GoT is more of a habit now, but I'm hoping for a good season. At least they're coming out in a timely fashion.
    There are going to be 7 episodes this year. They'll be a bit longer with the last two being 71 and 81 minutes long.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

I am going to watch it. In fact, I even got an HBO subscription especially for GoT. As some people said in the other thread about aSoIaF, I consider the tv-show as canon now and lost interest in the books. I am very excited for this season, as it will be more epic and cinematic than previous seasons. All aboard the hype-train!

5. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I've finished with the first episode. It's good enough, considering how it's usually that last episodes in the seasons that really matter and over-deliver in quality.

So the opening episode way OK, but I'd say that the exposition in it was kind of too obvious. And the episode's tone for me was way too cocky. They rode the over-the-topness from the S06E09 and S0E10 a bit too much in this one. Still, it's a good start of the season.

6. GreyMouser

GreyMouser Journeyed there and back again

Pumped! Loved it!

That opening scene was one of the most satisfying scenes I've ever watched. The rest was pretty much what I've come to expect from the first episodes in GoT.

My wife fell asleep and I'm actually looking forward to watching again tonight.

7. Silvion Night

Same here. Loved the episode. I think it might be the best opening episode since season 1. First scene was especially awesome, but I also liked the Oldtown scenes and of course the final scene. Gave me shivers. The only thing that bugged me a bit:

The in-conversation recaps in the style of Robert Jordan. The scene with Cersei and Jaime is a prime example of this. "Tyrion, your brother, the one you set free, the one that killed our father Tywin etc". Just feels so unnatural. The map was a nice touch though

My wife is yet to see it and I look forward to watching it again with her tomorrow.

8. Andrew.J

Really liked the first episode too. I loved the opening scenes in the citadel. They were very vivid :yuck:.

Two things that bothered me:
    Sansa. She's mildly annoying.
    And the final Danny scene. I get that it was an epic moment, but was I the only wondering how stupid it was for her to walk ahead of the others? They couldn't have known if there were people left in the place.
    I kept thinking all the way up to the throne room how easily she could be ambushed.
    Dragonstone was gorgeous, though.
    The recaps were weird, but I'm sure there were some more causal viewers who needed to refresh their memory. As long as it's just in the first episode, I have no problems.

9. Andrew.J

10,1 million people tuned in to watch the premiere last week and 6 million more steamed it later that day. The show just keeps getting bigger. This must be a record.

10. Silvion Night

Yeah, the hype beforehand was insane. If the series wasn't mainstream before, it definitely is now.

And I agree on your observation regarding the scene on Dragonstone. Felt a bit weird. It did suit the mood though.
    It just stretched disbelief that they could just walk in unopposed, Dany in front, and that the island was complete abandoned. It is one of the major strongholds in Wetseros after all and you'd expect someone to sieze it the moment Stannis left with all his folk. .

11. Andrew.J

I've just rewatched the episode. It seems only a few years ago anything digital looked rather bad on TV, but now the SFX are amazing. It's impossible to tell whether something is real or enhanced/created in post production. Fascinating stuff.

12. Silvion Night

Yeah, seven years is huge in SFX-world. Happy the tech is progressing to quickly. Remember the first season where Tyrion got knocked out right before a battle so the producers didn't have to show the fighting? And the black-out on the Fist of the First Men?

13. Carl

Carl Got in a fistfight with Dresden

After all that non-sense with the Hodor paradox last season, I'm not a fan of the show any more. And I also feel the show is diminishing the value of some of the important characters from the book as it keeps diverging away.

14. Silvion Night

I was slightly disapointed with this episode. Let's break it down per scene (here be spoilers, but you wouldn't be here if you hadn't seen the episode):

Arya scenes: pretty awesome. The meet-up in the woods was cool. Hope Nymeria will decide to follow her to Winterfel.
    Cersei/Jaime scene: decent scene. I liked the discussion between Jaime and Randyll Tarly best.
    Dany on Dragonstone: didn't much care for this part of the episode. Clarke always overacts her part. Also, the strategy the council decides on is dumb. Dany should have listened to Olenna.
    Jon scene: hated this scene. Sansa once again overrules Jon in front of all his nobles. Such idiocy. And Jon's plan is verging on retarted. I mean, come on really? Your grandfather and father ride south after a summons and never come back and now you decide to barge off after receiving a letter from a Lannister?
    Grey Worm / Missandei: the only good thing about this romantic story arc is seeing the actress who plays Missandei get naked (she's truly gorgeous). Grey Worm is pretty hot too by the way, if I have to take my wife's word on it.
    Greyjoy battle: best part of the episode. It was so rewarding to see Euron slaughtering the sand-snakes. The Dorne story line was always the weakest of the series and I'm glad it's now ended. Didn't like the fact that Theon once again returned to being a coward.
    Sam scenes: these were in my opinion the best of this episode. I love the chemistry between Sam and the Grand-maester (who is played by an excellent actor by the way)

A comment on the overall structure of the show: characters are now converging really fast. It all comes together quickly. This is good on the one hand )lots of action), but it is not so good on the other hand (no room to tell a proper story, characters teleporting all over the place). Curious to see where this is going.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Carl

Carl Got in a fistfight with Dresden

Ah! But ya gotta forgive the little bugger, after all he knows nothing. :confused:

16. Tanniel

Tanniel Ran bridges next to Kaladin

I am just here for Sir Jorah, after this episode he deserves a respite.

17. Andrew.J

Agree with pretty much everything, though I really liked the episode. Even more than the last one. It was awesome seeing all of the characters, some we haven't seen in a very long time, return (especially Olenna).
    Sam scenes I loved too, once again I got some very unsavoury food-puss/shit visuals when I was eating. Should stop eating when watching the show, I think. :grumpy:
    Arya scenes were lovely. I'm very happy she's decided to return to Winterfell. Jon obviously won't be there when she arrives and who knows what Little Finger is going to cook up. Jon is taking a big risk here.
    I'm kind rooting for Missandei and Grey Worm. They'll probably die by the end of the season.
    Greyjoy scenes: First, Euron's ship is f***ing amazing. So awesome. The fight scenes were great and the Sand Snakes deaths were glorious. I was disappointed with Theon choice too, I was really hoping he'd snap. And that 'sexy' scene with Asha and Ellaria. That quote tops everything we've heard so far. 'A foreign invasion is underway'. Kill me, please. :confused:

18. ExTended

ExTended Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

I suppose I'd be the minority here by saying the episode was a bit of a letdown in my opinion.

The Missandei scene was really odd - I adore the actress, in my capacity of a relatively young straight guy, but it was so unnecessarily drawn out, that at one point it felt quite awkward. Damn - it felt insulting even. As if they could dangle some tits and innuendos thorough the episode to distract the fans from the real problem - the melodrama galore.

In every 2nd scene you could tell what'd happen line by line.

I won't even comment the Kraken & Snakes scenes... Because of course building a larger fleet is what you do when someone steels all your ships. Maybe some Ents made a foreign invasion on the Iron Islands and that guy killed them all by himself. And then ships were had.

The show is becoming a dumbed-down version of itself and that's not a cool thing.