Game of Thrones Season 7 (spoilers)

Andrew.J

Journeyed there and back again
Watched Episode 3. It's the best one this season, imo. The plot is progressing just as quickly as before, but we have a lot more dialogue, which is a very nice change from the last two episodes. Wonderful visuals as usual. Was happy to finally see Casterly Rock and Highgarden. Rock, impressive and all, wasn't what I expected to see, but it was nice nonetheless. Some epic scenes too and better character interactions than before.
I was surprised to see Jon on Dragonstone the first thing on the episode, but I guess there's no time to waste for travelling. There're only 4 more episodes left, after all. I mostly liked everything on the island. Some of the Danaerys' dialogue was a bit over the top for my tastes, but it wasn't a cringe-fest tragedy I was fearing. Loved seeing some more Melisandre, I have a soft spot for her. :rolleyes:
It was a bit weird seeing green fields on Dragonstone during Jon and Tyrion's scene, though. The island is supposed to be desolate, but it's not a big deal. It's a very pretty island.

I liked the scenes in King's Landing as well. Cersei is lovely as always. And Sam's scenes were nice too.

The Lannister army marching towards Highgarden invoked some unease and a sense of urgency. And Olenna was, of course, the highlight of the episode. The scene of her looking through the balcony at the Lannister army was fantastic. Brilliantly done. Sad to see her go, but she went down gloriously.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I thought this episode was good as well.

One thing that keeps bugging me though is the teleporting. This was largely absent in the fist seasons, but it's getting more and more prevalent, with Varys's actions in the last episodes of last season as sad pinnacle. This season it is pretty bad as well. Euron's fleet that sails around Westeros within hours, Jon leaving Winterfel in 1 scene and arriving on Dragonstone on the next. The Lannister army suddenly popping up at Highgarden with Jamie leading the forces, while he was in Kings Landing the scene before.

I know the story is speeding up, but for me this teleporting business is really detrimental to the story. In the first seasons the campaigning armies took episodes to cover certain ground. It made the world feel epic and alive. Now it seems as though characters and armies can just up and appear everywhere on the map. This could have been handled better in my opinion.

Anyways, I really liked the dialogue on this episode. There's great chemistry between Sam and the Archmaester. I loved Cersei;s scene in the dungeon. She is fast becoming my favorite character and I'm all out rooting for her now. The scenes between Dany and Jon could even be considered decent (never expected that as I normally hate Dany's dialogue). The scene with Tyrion and Jon was top-notch. It was a blast from the past to once again see Jon as a mopey teenager. Great interaction between the dwarf and the bastard. And last but not least; the scene with Olenna and Jamie. Easily one of the best one-on-one scenes in the entire series. I cheered at the end and re-watched it because it was so awesome.

I liked the battle as well; I think they made the right choices here. The scene was epic, and the narration by Tyrion worked really well in my opinion. A pity they stinted a bit on the Battle for Highgarden.

Low point of the episode: the scene between Sansa and Bran. Choppy and unconvincing dialogue.

Andrew.J

Cersei has been one of my favourite characters since A Feast for Crows (alongside Olenna). I loved her stuff last season. This scene is particularly great:
The cinematography and music were wonderful here.

Ditto for Sansa and Bran. Little Finger was also horrible, imo. It seems like they have no idea what to do with him.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Little Finger was also horrible, imo. It seems like they have no idea what to do with him.
Aah yeah, that's just a dead end. Theon was fun in the previous seasons, but his story-arc is more or less run dry too. Same goes for Brienne. A shame really, because these were all solid characters in the past.

ExTended

Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune
Game of Cheesiness S07E05

"The King in the North belongs in the North, but since he ran South to try and save us, we'd like to replace him."

Paraphrasing quote of the dumbest line to grace any fantasy medium ever. Great work.

GreyMouser

The teleporting is weird but I like how the plot is progressing about a million times faster than it was in the last 2 books.

It's weird, I'm thoroughly enjoying this season even while noticing so many issues.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
I really liked this episode. The teleporting was admittedly really bad, but there were some great moments that more than made up for it. The best parts were (in my opinion):

1. The bombshell that confirms Jon is actually a Targaryen.
2. The quest beyond the Wall with the most awesome gang of misfits I've ever seen together
3. Gendry

Andrew.J

I enjoyed this episode a lot as well. It didn't have as many epic scenes as the last one (although Bran's warging sequence at the beginning of the episode was impressive), but it certainly had an epic revelation. I really like seeing all characters converging episode by episode. It's a welcome change after the previous seasons.

Besides Jon's revelation, I'm intrigued by Cersei's pregnancy. Though, I suppose it's silly to expect it to be true after Maggy the Frog's prophecies.

Andrew.J

Game of Cheesiness S07E05

"The King in the North belongs in the North, but since he ran South to try and save us, we'd like to replace him."

Paraphrasing quote of the dumbest line to grace any fantasy medium ever. Great work.
Not that dumb. The lords' unrest isn't unreasonable. It is hard to maintain authority and power when absent, especially when Jon's claim as a king is so fragile in their eyes, when most have never seen the dead up in the north and don't agree with his choice to meet Daenerys, and when there's Littlefinger stirring the pot with his thousands of men from the Vale.

The writers' of the show aren't as capable as I would prefer them to be, but there are much worse offenders than this line.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Not that dumb. The lords' unrest isn't unreasonable. It is hard to maintain authority and power when absent, especially when Jon's claim as a king is so fragile in their eyes, when most have never seen the dead up in the north and don't agree with his choice to meet Daenerys, and when there's Littlefinger stirring the pot with his thousands of men from the Vale.

The writers' of the show aren't as capable as I would prefer them to be, but there are much worse offenders than this line.
I think Extended has a point though. Because of the dramatic increase in pace events are quickly unfurling. In this instance it seemed as though Jon was only gone for a couple of hours before the lords already got dissatisfied and threatened to rebel. Seemed a bit fast in my opinion. When I saw it me and my friends also thought it was weird and out of place.

Andrew.J

It's a bit iffy, true. Though it didn't bother me that much. I'm more concerned about the entire Winterfell arc. The story and the characters there are rather weak this season (with the exception of Arya, I like her).

On a different note, another episode was leaked today. It seems this time it's an HBO's mishap.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
On a different note, another episode was leaked today. It seems this time it's an HBO's mishap.
Heard this too. Some friends of mine already saw it. I'm waiting for the official release though. Gotta stay away from social media to avoid spoilers...

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Heard this too. Some friends of mine already saw it. I'm waiting for the official release though. Gotta stay away from social media to avoid spoilers...
I haven't watched any of this season yet (don't have HBO or any streaming services that offer it). But I've been consuming spoilers like a fiend. You should definitely stay away from the Free Folk subreddit if you don't want to see spoilers. (On the other hand, if you really want the spoilers, that is the place to go.)

I am probably going to have to have surgery in a month or two and am thinking about doing the 7-day free trial of HBO on Amazon while I am in the hospital to just binge watch the entire season. (I ordered a Kindle Fire the other day.)

Derk of Derkholm

My wife and I have now watched all episodes from seasons 1-6 in the last couple of weeks.

I had been holding out in the past as I had been only reading the books so far, but the TV series is quite nice, and - as opposed to the books - there is some action going on telling me how the story goes on. So it will be maybe a week until I can read all the posts in this thread in order not to see any spoilers :) Starting with episode 7.1 tonight, looking forward to it!!!!!

Andrew.J

My wife and I have now watched all episodes from seasons 1-6 in the last couple of weeks.

I had been holding out in the past as I had been only reading the books so far, but the TV series is quite nice, and - as opposed to the books - there is some action going on telling me how the story goes on. So it will be maybe a week until I can read all the posts in this thread in order not to see any spoilers :) Starting with episode 7.1 tonight, looking forward to it!!!!!
Good watching! I think this season is my favourite one so far, although season 6 had some fantastic episodes as well. But I find it's hard to tell with these things. It's been years since I've seen the first seasons, so my opinion might change when I rewatch the show eventually.

@Sneaky Burrito I rarely, if ever, binge shows like GoT. If the episode is good, and they've been great so far, it amps me up and sets the tone for the rest of the day. For this reason too, I prefer watching GoT earlier in the day. Gets my creative juices flowing and I get more stuff done. Don't know if I'm alone in this one.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
@Sneaky Burrito I rarely, if ever, binge shows like GoT. If the episode is good, and they've been great so far, it amps me up and sets the tone for the rest of the day. For this reason too, I prefer watching GoT earlier in the day. Gets my creative juices flowing and I get more stuff done. Don't know if I'm alone in this one.
I don't binge watch them either, usually, because I simply don't have enough time. When I do watch, it's in the evening.

But, I've also never had to spend a couple of days in a hospital bed and I'm really just looking for non-taxing things that you can do with a Kindle Fire.

Derk of Derkholm

I don't binge watch them either, usually, because I simply don't have enough time. When I do watch, it's in the evening.
Hehe, what exactly do you refer to as binge-watching?

I mentioned that my wife and I started to watch GoT some weeks ago ... we went through the first 60 episodes by watching about 3 or 4 every evening, starting at 10 p.m. when our kids went to bed until about 1 or 2 a.m. I guess that's pretty binge-y, and we will have to radically adjust once it is only one new episode per week.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Hehe, what exactly do you refer to as binge-watching?

I mentioned that my wife and I started to watch GoT some weeks ago ... we went through the first 60 episodes by watching about 3 or 4 every evening, starting at 10 p.m. when our kids went to bed until about 1 or 2 a.m. I guess that's pretty binge-y, and we will have to radically adjust once it is only one new episode per week.
I'd call that binge-watching. You can't be expected to watch more on 1 day if you've got a job.

In the Netherlands some scientists warned the population about the threats of binge-watching. According to them, the high-intensity of it can lead to sleep problems. :)