Game of Thrones Season 7 (spoilers)

Derk of Derkholm

Journeyed there and back again
The in-conversation recaps in the style of Robert Jordan. The scene with Cersei and Jaime is a prime example of this. "Tyrion, your brother, the one you set free, the one that killed our father Tywin etc". Just feels so unnatural.
Well, that particular thing did not seem too annatural to me as a married man whose wife sometimes likes to point out past errors :)

Derk of Derkholm

I'd call that binge-watching. You can't be expected to watch more on 1 day if you've got a job.
Fully agree! My wife and I did the 4-episodes-a-day thing only after we had successfully delivered our kids to Nice for their French Summer School, and our own holiday really started :)

Maybe it's also that we had not watched any kind of TV for more than half a year...

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
SO what did y'all think about the latest episode?

Andrew.J

I've just watched the episode, I'm still getting my bearings, but I thought it was a mixed bag. The first two-thirds of the episode weren't up to par with the rest of the season. One of the worse parts of GoT this year, imo. The finale, however, was a visual and an emotional roller coaster. I loved it.
The dragon dying made my heart twinge a bit, but I think we all knew what was about to happen to its body. Predictable, but nonetheless amazing. Does this mean the Night King can fly over the wall now?
Also, Jon and Daenerys are the endgame apparently. How do you all feel about that?

Andrew.J

Another afterthought: teleportation is so off this time around. It cheapens the entire show. Raven-email was wacky enough, but this? Supersonic aeroplanes don't fly half as fast as Daenerys' airlines.

Khartun

Another afterthought: teleportation is so off this time around. It cheapens the entire show. Raven-email was wacky enough, but this? Supersonic aeroplanes don't fly half as fast as Daenerys' airlines.
I've just watched the episode, I'm still getting my bearings, but I thought it was a mixed bag. The first two-thirds of the episode weren't up to par with the rest of the season. One of the worse parts of GoT this year, imo. The finale, however, was a visual and an emotional roller coaster. I loved it.
The dragon dying made my heart twinge a bit, but I think we all knew what was about to happen to its body. Predictable, but nonetheless amazing. Does this mean the Night King can fly over the wall now?
Also, Jon and Daenerys are the endgame apparently. How do you all feel about that?
And where the hell did they get the chains?!?!

Andrew.J

And where the hell did they get the chains?!?!
Didn't catch that.
They probably just had some chain lying around. You never know when you might need a few truckloads worth of chain for the routine dragon carcass extraction. :facepalm:

Carl

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
After missing out Eps 3, 4 and 5, I took a shot at 6. There's no logic left anymore. I'm rooting for the Night King all the way. May his reign be forever and cold.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
We were watching it with a group of about 10 friends and everyone was like "wtf!?" when Gendry ran back to the Wall in minutes. Then the raven was sent to Dany, which must have been faster than the speed of light. And the dragons were even faster! Also the choices made by Daenerys were idiotic, she put her dragons in way to much risk. And then indeed the chains...

I also don't like where they're going with Sansa and Arya. Totally not buying that arc. How dumb are they that they don't see Littlefinger's machinations?

The best thing about this episode was the banter between the travelers beyond the Wall. I loved the ta;lk between Jon and Beric. And the discussion between the Hound and Tormund. Good stuff.

This episode was sorely lacking in Cersei though. Too bad.

The Jon and Daenerys thing was predictable and I don't like it. I think it's a real shame.

I've been rooting for Cersei and Jamie for two seasons now and this episode just reinforced my stance. I hope that in the next episode all the Lords and Ladies of the Seven Kingdoms will bend the knee to Cersei. It'd also be acceptable if they forge an alliance this season and battle it out with the Night King next season. Then, at the very end, after the White Walkers are defeated and our heroes stand alone on the field of battle... Cersei and Jamie stab everyone in the back.

Maark Abbott

"I feel entitled to rule because of my name, bend the knee"
"No"
"No"
"No"
"Oh all right then"

I'm firmly on Team Everyone Dies now. Dany needs killing off and QUICKLY. Walker and Bronn you both had ONE GODDAMN JOB.

Derk of Derkholm

That is my main qualm, too.

The Knights of the Vale, arriving, in perfect battle formation, after their hundreds-of-miles-long travel on the Winterfell battlefield just in time to rout Ramsey Bolton's forces ... 20 minutes earlier, it would have been the most boring affair as the battle was not started yet, 10 minutes later, there would have been nobody left to rescue.

Some more:
https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/8/...on-7-white-walker-dragon-battle-dumb-no-sense

Last edited:

Anti_Quated

everyone was like "wtf!?" when Gendry ran back to the Wall in minutes...
He did say he'd been training. Cardio gains for days,brah?

The best thing about this episode was the banter between the travelers beyond the Wall. I loved the talk between Jon and Beric. And the discussion between the Hound and Tormund. Good stuff.
So much, yes. Tormund and The Hound sharing a little camaraderie, however brief, made my day. That is was replete with stupidly drool-worthy wight battle on a frozen lake... belissimo!

The telegraphing and popcorn-coalescing and condensed/abridged version of the show really doesn't bother me now. For years I've patiently endured all the ridiculous piss-farting about with Daenerys' saviour/messiah complex, the thinly veiled social critiques ham-fistedly smashed or segued into blatant TnA fan-service it's both jarring and awkward (alright, sometimes it's actually pretty good), the blathering on and on about Ser-who-gives-a-fuck's second cousin twice-removed... FINALLY WE GET ACTUAL BATTLE FOOTAGE, AND THE WHITE WALKERS, AND JON SNOW ACTUALLY KNOWING SOMETHING!!!! - and you guys are upset? Why?:p

I've had my fill of feasts and political intrigue and dickless, creepy little molester-types like Littlefinger mincing and skulking about and getting all the dialogue and screen time. Bring me the fire and ruin and death; the clamour and din of steel against steel, a shedding of blood and gold sprawling the length and breadth of Westeros, from the frigid tundra to the spittle-encrusted cobblestones that wind through King's Landing. Tear the pretender queen from her scaled mounts, and the sullied crone from her ill-begotten seat in the Red Keep. Let the meaty core of this show finally arise - the perennial conflict, and the one sole truth of their world, of ours, and all others.

Everything Must Die.

What a mercurial waste of Benjen Stark though. Jamie's Hail Mary spear-chuck was brilliant too - the Hero beneath, his courage yet endures.

I'm probably a little excited because the show is nearly finished and I've been looking forward to the great war between life and death as it sweeps aside all the petty vanities and pretensions of mortals playing at godhood with the thralls and peasants crushed beneath them.

Also... Euron Greyjoy. What a merciless, boorish, crude obscenity. Fucking fantastic. Love the hell out of that guy :D

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
He did say he'd been training. Cardio gains for days,brah?

So much, yes. Tormund and The Hound sharing a little camaraderie, however brief, made my day. That is was replete with stupidly drool-worthy wight battle on a frozen lake... belissimo!

The telegraphing and popcorn-coalescing and condensed/abridged version of the show really doesn't bother me now. For years I've patiently endured all the ridiculous piss-farting about with Daenerys' saviour/messiah complex, the thinly veiled social critiques ham-fistedly smashed or segued into blatant TnA fan-service it's both jarring and awkward (alright, sometimes it's actually pretty good), the blathering on and on about Ser-who-gives-a-fuck's second cousin twice-removed... FINALLY WE GET ACTUAL BATTLE FOOTAGE, AND THE WHITE WALKERS, AND JON SNOW ACTUALLY KNOWING SOMETHING!!!! - and you guys are upset? Why?:p

I've had my fill of feasts and political intrigue and dickless, creepy little molester-types like Littlefinger mincing and skulking about and getting all the dialogue and screen time. Bring me the fire and ruin and death; the clamour and din of steel against steel, a shedding of blood and gold sprawling the length and breadth of Westeros, from the frigid tundra to the spittle-encrusted cobblestones that wind through King's Landing. Tear the pretender queen from her scaled mounts, and the sullied crone from her ill-begotten seat in the Red Keep. Let the meaty core of this show finally arise - the perennial conflict, and the one sole truth of their world, of ours, and all others.

Everything Must Die.

What a mercurial waste of Benjen Stark though. Jamie's Hail Mary spear-chuck was brilliant too - the Hero beneath, his courage yet endures.

I'm probably a little excited because the show is nearly finished and I've been looking forward to the great war between life and death as it sweeps aside all the petty vanities and pretensions of mortals playing at godhood with the thralls and peasants crushed beneath them.

Also... Euron Greyjoy. What a merciless, boorish, crude obscenity. Fucking fantastic. Love the hell out of that guy :D
Amen to all your comments on battles, violence, action etc, but......

Come on, you must see that even with short 1 minute long scenes where you see characters actually traveling would make the show more epic. The last two seasons it just feels like everyone could just pop up anywhere. Take for example Euron's fleet. One scene it is anchored near Dragonstone, the scene after that it attacks Casterly Rock. When we were watching it my wife said: "Huh, I thought that Casterly Rock was actually on the other side of Westeros, but it appears the city is very close to Dragonstone. Is it adjacent to Kings Landing?". And: "Am I missing something here? Jon and his crew only spent a night on the frozen island and then get rescued by Dany? I thought Dragonstone was half a world away from the Wall?" This is not a good thing. It is not only confusing, but it also detracts from the realism of the show (yes, I know how ridiculous that sounds in a show with zombies, dragons and female warriors).

I feel that with better scene montage or with some added short traveling scenes the sense of epicness and vastness of the world could have been maintained.

I'm not trying to detract from your enjoyment of the show. Heck, I enjoy the hell out of it myself. It's just that I think they could have handled it better. It was already a bit of a nuisance during last season, but it really stands out now. If even ASOIAF noobs like my wife comment on it it's not good.

Derk of Derkholm

I understand there's another season coming, in one or 2 years time, correct?
So not really "finished" yet...

My opinion is they might want to continue milking it for some more years....

Derk of Derkholm

I like this article, among other things because it linked this awesome map:

http://www.sermountaingoat.co.uk/map/versions/map_canon_only.jpg

It confirms that indeed, Casterly Rock is next to Lannisport on the Western shore of Westeros, while Kings Landing is in the East.
They are pretty close on the road, but that is not how Euron's ships would typically travel.
(But yes, they would come by Dorne on the way from Kings Landing to Casterly Rock)

Last edited:

Andrew.J

I found this neat interactive map online. It can show you various characters' paths, the borders of each kingdom and all towns and cities mentioned in the series. If you click on them it takes to the aSoIaF wiki page for more information. The map also has a spoiler filter, so you can choose how much you want to see on a chapter by chapter or episode by episode basis.

https://quartermaester.info/

kenubrion

That is great Andrew! Thank you. I really like maps in epic fantasy series and this is so much more than just a map, it's like a huge addition to the series!

Andrew.J

Watched the finale. What did you guys think? Some cool things happened.

It also seems we might have to wait for 2019 for the final season. There are also some interesting leaks that I looked at after finishing the episode. Some stuff, I think, has been put on hold till season 8.

Derk of Derkholm

Boooo! Hiss! Lamest season finale, so far .....

GreyMouser

I loved it.

There were issues with the finale and this season for sure but for me, it was still more fun to watch than any other show on TV.