Game of Thrones Season 8 (here be spoilers)

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
So what did y'all think of episode 1? Overall I was quite happy with it. Below the good and the bad according to Berry.

Good:
- Nods to Season 1, Episode 1: Little boy climbing tree parallel with how Bran climbed in episode 1. Bran confronting Jaime at the end of the episode. Jon introduces his family to Dani (nod to the scene where Ned introduces his kids to Robert).

- The flight of the dragons. Breath-taking visuals. Very well done overall.

- Slightly corny, but fun kiss between Jon and Dani near the waterfall (my wife loved it)

- Sansa. Sansa. Sansa! Best character arc in the show in my view. I really hated her in the first couple of seasons, but since then she's grown into a conniving, intelligent schemer. Just loved the convo between her and Jon ("did you bend the knee because you want to protect the North, or because you love her"). Also the remark to Tyrion when he said Joffrey's wedding sucked: "it had it's moments..." Love it.

- The scene in the abandoned keep with the crucified boy. Really scary. And Thormund + Beric still live. That's good!

Bad:
- No elephants. Makes me sad.

- Wasn't too happy about the way the Jon = King reveal was done. It should have been really profound, but somehow it felt a bit off.

- I really disliked the Greyjoy parts. To me, Yara and Theon have gone a bit stale now somehow.

ExTended

Journeyed there and back again
Well, 4 episodes in, and the elephants sound like a damn proper story-telling nugget right about now. We need more elephants and less sub-versions of expectations in this train-wreck of a season.

Every consecutive episode lowers the over-all score of the thing by a whole point on the left side of the decimal point. Speechless.

If the leaks for episodes 5 and 6 are true... oh man. Every time someone asks themselves if they can be decent at writing books, all they have to do is watch season 8 for reassurance that there are worse writers in this world than them.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Well, 4 episodes in, and the elephants sound like a damn proper story-telling nugget right about now. We need more elephants and less sub-versions of expectations in this train-wreck of a season.

Every consecutive episode lowers the over-all score of the thing by a whole point on the left side of the decimal point. Speechless.

If the leaks for episodes 5 and 6 are true... oh man. Every time someone asks themselves if they can be decent at writing books, all they have to do is watch season 8 for reassurance that there are worse writers in this world than them.
Totally agree with you. On second thought, episode 1 wasn't so great. Episode 2 was quite OK (written by Cogman I think; he's the only capable writer left). Episodes 3 and 4 were horrendous.

For all the critique we often aim at him, it is very apparent that the show started to drop the ball the moment there was no more content written by GRRM on which D&B could base their plot. Since season 5 the writing has been terrible and the story is all over the place.

It's a shame really, as the show has an amazing production value, top notch acting, a great music score.... All of that is eclipsed by the poor writing, plot and dialogue though. Argh, the dialogue.... I remember fondly seasons 1-4 during which characters expressed themselves in iconic, sometimes even poetic sentences. Currently all characters speak pop-culture American style English. Blergh, terrible.

And the writing.... oh lads and lasses, the writing.... It's terrible!

So you're telling me the 3 eyed raven, the Prince that was Promised and Azor Ahai have been built up for 8 freaking seasons, only to become entirely irrelevant because Arya one shot kills the Night King? A character that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the storyline beyond the wall? WHAT?

So you're saying the "Long Night" actually only lasted a couple of hours? Pretty much all mayor characters survived? Half the army survived? How does that even work? Why do we see the characters being swamped time and again, only for the camera to cut back to show them being all fine and dandy? Even Sam, who's freaking covered in flesh eating zombies for half of the episode?

Argh! And now Cersei is supposed to be the end boss? The villain of the story? Together with cardboard character Euron? So in the end it was about the Iron Throne all along? Give me a freaking break!

And what about the insane battle tactics? Murdering of the Dothraki like that? And the Unsullied? There's a freaking castle right behind them that could've protected them. Give me a break. And what about Ghost? That was Jon's best friend for 7 seasons for Christ's sake.

And what about the dragon-seeking super scorpions? First they hit a dragon in full flight mode from a mile off in mid air and kill it and a minute later @ King Landing (or should I say Qarth's landing?) Dany and her crew show up notr 20 meters from the gate, there are 20 freaking scorpions right there, and Cersei doesn't use them to kill her biggest enemy? BLERG!

/rant

ExTended

I'll always remember when season one was releasing and we were discussing the show with other aSoIaF forum veterans as the episodes were aired... people were literally having orgasms after each Varys vs Littlefinger scene... or Tyrion vs Tywin with characters having 10 different levels of conversations at the same time.

Now they barely have one, and it doesn't make sense half of the time.

My favorite moment was Euron killing Drogon with 3 "headshots" from impossible angles and in motion, and then 10 ships not being able to shoot Denerys from 1/3 of the distance while she's sleeping on her dragon drinking a Starbucks latte. I won't even start on the episode 3 stuff or the other episode 4 genius moments - you've listed many of them anyway, and the sad thing is - you'd need three time the space to list all the rest.

There are very strong rumors that the books won't end anything like that - George has been quoted saying that he didn't watch season 7, because 'he didn't have time' and also that some characters killed in the show are still very much alive past that pint in his mind, and he's very elusive when asked about season 8, so I guess if he ever gets to finishing this series, the characters won't be mockeries of themselves in the final chapters.

Old Nan:
Don't listen to it. Crows are all liars. I know a story about a crow.

Bran:
I hate your stories.

Old Nan:
I know a story about a boy who hated stories. I could tell you about Sir Duncan the Tall; those were always your favorites.

Bran:
Those aren't my favorites. My favorites were the scary ones.

Old Nan:
Oh, my sweet summer child. What do you know about fear? Fear is for the winter when the snows fall a hundred feet deep. Fear is for the the long nights when the sun hides for years, and children are born and live and die, all in darkness. That is the time for fear, my little lord; when the white walkers move through the woods. Thousands of years ago there came a night that lasted a generation. Kings froze to death in their castles, same as the shepherds in their huts, and women smothered their babies rather than see them starve, and wept and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks. So is this the sort of story that you like? [watches as Bran nods] In that darkness the white walkers came for the first time. They swept through cities and kingdoms, riding their dead horses, hunting with their packs of pale spiders big as hounds...

And all we've got was 1h 15m drizzle and a fizzle that didn't even make sense. I get that hound spiders are a big no because of the budget, but how hard was it to film the last 1-2 seasons at night and have some damn steam puffing from people's mouths?

I mean...

Last edited:

Derk of Derkholm

Seems they are hell bent on destroying the characters of the main figures.

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member

Peat

Problem is I think the signal's getting perceived as "Waah! Waah!" out there and is allowing people to shrug off criticism as immature.

Wonder what will happen with the spin-offs now. I've little intention of watching them, although I don't control the TV remote in my house so who knows.

ExTended

This season toppled How I Met Your Mother's dumpster fire of a last season as the worst ending ever.

On a more positive note the whiskey I've been drinking during the last episode was top notch. Glen Moray - a whisky worthy of the One Power!

At least Jon petted Ghost at the end damn it. As a dog owner I would've never forgiven him otherwise... ever!

Best moment of the season too...

Derk of Derkholm

Aye, what can we say, it's over now.

Really looking forward to "The Winds of Winter", if it ever comes out.
Now would be George R R Martin's chance to come up with an alternative storyline. Definitely would send the book sales soaring.

ReguIa

So many things could have been done better, but that stuff aside, the one single thing that bothered me the most was the fucking time jump after
Dany died
Like what in the actual fuck?!

There was so much tension and drama right there! And they decide to jump forwards with the biggest and most out of place tone and style change ever? Fucking hell, you end this show GRIM and BLEAK not with JOKES and QUIPS.

At least D&D will go down in history as the biggest fuck ups in the history of all television. Talk about sad when an at least somewhat decent ending instead would have them remembered as the creators of the greatest television we've seen so far.

Last edited:

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Agreed Regula. The only way to notice the time jump was Tyrion's beard and his short mention of weeks having gone by. The rest of the episode was lame jokes. Worse than a sit-com.

The character deaths this season felt so hollow too. Even the one this weekend. I was sitting there with my wife and a group of friends and no one cared a bit. The only emotion we felt was the moment that
Jon hugged Ghost

Terrible season, terrible writers, terrible end to the story. The reviews on RT and IMDB are scathing. I hope the writers will get sent to the Wall.

Derk of Derkholm

Here is a very good sum-up of some of the things that are wrong with season 8:

Game of Thrones’ finale betrayed the show’s core themes

Let’s zoom in on the resolution of the Iron Throne plot, the show’s core concern over eight seasons.

So Tyrion is in jail, apparently for several weeks. He is brought before an assembly of the Seven Kingdoms’ most powerful lords and ladies — from protagonists like Sansa and Arya to side characters like Yara Greyjoy and whoever the new Prince of Dorne is. Everyone has apparently decided to meet to negotiate Tyrion and Jon’s fate with Grey Worm and the Unsullied, a discussion that could potentially end in yet another brutal battle if they can’t work out a compromise. The fate of the country hangs in the balance.
In the past, a meeting of this importance could have taken up an entire episode of Game of Thrones. The show would have paid close attention to each of its main characters’ objectives and approaches to the discussion, with the side characters’ interests and motivations somewhat outlined as well.
What happens instead? They decide to elect a king out of the blue, seemingly just because Tyrion suggests it. He suggests that Bran Stark, an unknown to most of Westeros’ nobility, should be king. He makes a speech about Bran’s magical powers, which no one really understands, and suggests that Bran’s command of narrative means that he should be entrusted with near-absolute power. In the show’s universe, the speech should have been greeted with as much laughter as Sam’s attempt to invent democracy.

... not to mention the fact that Grey Worm, the leader of the strongest army in the land currently effectively controlling the realm, is basically told to sh*t up and get out by a bunch of has-been leaders of the armies he just vanquished.

I would not have considered him too shy to speak up after he displayed just a few scenes before that he has few concerns to just simply slit the throat of everybody not immediately bowing to his queen. Hard to believe he would just take her murder and acquiesce to it, on the say-so of a newly proclaimed "king".

Silvion Night

Sir Readalot
Staff member
Here is a very good sum-up of some of the things that are wrong with season 8:

Game of Thrones’ finale betrayed the show’s core themes

... not to mention the fact that Grey Worm, the leader of the strongest army in the land currently effectively controlling the realm, is basically told to sh*t up and get out by a bunch of has-been leaders of the armies he just vanquished.

I would not have considered him too shy to speak up after he displayed just a few scenes before that he has few concerns to just simply slit the throat of everybody not immediately bowing to his queen. Hard to believe he would just take her murder and acquiesce to it, on the say-so of a newly proclaimed "king".
Agreed. And then we see the Unsullied and Dothraki (!!!) gently strolling down the docks of KL, as if they were tourists in Monaco or St Tropez. Ridiculous. They'd be out plundering and rampaging across the countryside.

Peat

Agreed. And then we see the Unsullied and Dothraki (!!!) gently strolling down the docks of KL, as if they were tourists in Monaco or St Tropez. Ridiculous. They'd be out plundering and rampaging across the countryside.
I can just about see the Unsullied deciding otherwise for reasons - they're never been the rampagey types. The Dothraki? The World Pillaging Champions? Oh well. One more stray detail is hardly an issue at this point.