Gardens of the moon

Sir Arthur

Journeyed there and back again
I'm starting it this weekend. I'm in the mood for a new series, and Malazan has been on my short list for far too long, so here we ( I ) go.:D

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
It's like jumping into the middle of a lake and being asked to swim to shore, tread some water, absorb what it gives you, you are embarking one one of the hardest fantasy series of all time, if you have questions ask them, the series starts hundreds of thousands of years before you started reading it and doesn't take prisoners.

Antoxx

It's like jumping into the middle of a lake and being asked to swim to shore, tread some water, absorb what it gives you, you are embarking one one of the hardest fantasy series of all time, if you have questions ask them, the series starts hundreds of thousands of years before you started reading it and doesn't take prisoners.
And how appropriate your tag line is a wonderous friend of modest Kruppe. :)

blitzburns4

Owns a Ring of Power
I finished it and, though it didn't connect with me at first, I ended up enjoying it in the end. Good luck to you, Sir Arthur. I hope you enjoy it!

Sir Arthur

I read 20% tonight. I like the writing, and that's huge for me. Some authors I just don't enjoy /glare at Glen Cook. I have a very good feeling on this one.:happy:

Antoxx

I read 20% tonight. I like the writing, and that's huge for me. Some authors I just don't enjoy /glare at Glen Cook. I have a very good feeling on this one.:happy:
Wow, 20% of GofM in one sitting is good going by anybody's reckoning. I thought Cook's Books of the North were pretty good though. Took a bit to get used to writing style, but once there enjoyable.

Sir Arthur

I just found out Steven Erikson, lives in Victoria, BC, Canada! That's just a short ferry ride for me, and a city I enjoy visiting.

If I have any questions, I'll grab a growler of local micro-brew, and drop by.:)

Hand of Fear

I haven't read these books or the GoT yet, but was wondering which way people read these books.

For example do you read them one book after another or take a little break, and read something else first and go on to the next book ?

From what I have read these books are complex and have a lot of depth in them, so to get the most out of them would it be better to read them all in one go.

bailebr

Got in a fistfight with Dresden
I enjoyed GOTM a great deal and read it pretty quickly. What helped me was googling a few of the character's pictures/fan art so I had kind of mental image of what some of them might look like, making it easier to keep everyone straight. I enjoy books that really describe the surrounding scenery or what a character looks like, and that was really my only complaint with "Gardens.." In my opinion it wasn't descriptive enough for my tastes, but as I said, I liked it. I actually blew through "Deadhouse Gates" and liked it much better than Gardens. I'll definitely read MOI, hoping that they get better and better, and perhaps describe things a little more. It's also great that it's a complete series now, compared to ASOIF, where as much as I've loved the books, I'm in danger of losing interest due to the wait in-between books.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
Haha, and it was the 2nd non-YA fantasy series I ever encountered. It is difficult to find something that quite measures up (at least in terms of complexity). That's not to say I don't enjoy other authors/series, though. Just that I have to use a different set of standards to evaluate them.

Frizzo0133

Is a wondrous friend of modest Kruppe
Haha, and it was the 2nd non-YA fantasy series I ever encountered. It is difficult to find something that quite measures up (at least in terms of complexity). That's not to say I don't enjoy other authors/series, though. Just that I have to use a different set of standards to evaluate them.
You think the Malazan series is hard try the Prince of Nothing trilogy, it's so intense that I actually kept notes, on paper, to keep it all straight, it's fantastic, but holy hell is it hard to keep every thing straight.

Anyway, sir Arthur, where are you at in the book, and how many characters have you fallen in literary love with? Whiskey Jack, the Bridge Burners, Anomnder Rake. With the Malazan series it's never all that simple as you get all of the points of view.

There are far better books in the series, but it takes a bit to get going GotM.