Glen Cook’s Glittering Stone (spoilers)

Fatal Rose

Killed a Balrog
I remember getting to the end of the BC series and encountering the Glittering Stone that can be used to travel to other worlds. It was really interesting! Seems like his different worlds may all be connected somehow. His straight fantasy worlds (excluding the Garrett PI series) seem to be very similar. Maybe they’ve all had travelers that have influenced each world? The Sword Bearer, BC, Tower Of Fear, Dread Empire, and Instrumentalities Of The Night might all be connected somehow. Would be great to ask Glen Cook about this.

Would be fun to run an RPG in these worlds.

What do you all think? Are they all connected somehow?

Maark Abbott

Journeyed there and back again
I hope not because that sort of thing is a cheap marketing gimmick used to make excessively tenuous links between books in the hopes of generating additional sales. See: Ole Sandy

kenubrion

This seems like an ideal place to mention that Glen Cook's new Black Company book is dropping on September 11.

Port of Shadows: A Chronicle of the Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company)

Maark Abbott

This seems like an ideal place to mention that Glen Cook's new Black Company book is dropping on September 11.

Port of Shadows: A Chronicle of the Black Company (Chronicles of The Black Company)
I never actually finished TBC - Had book 3 ordered but it never arrived and I never felt compelled to chase it up. How's the second set of books?

kenubrion

I never actually finished TBC - Had book 3 ordered but it never arrived and I never felt compelled to chase it up. How's the second set of books?
Maark, I recall it just getting better all the way through. The relationship between Croaker and the Lady develops quite nicely and her changes were a favorite aspect to me.

Edit to add that I like his Dread Empire series better as it has a lot more happening and a larger cast of sympathetic characters. It's truly a big sprawling epic.

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke

I just bought it and the hardbound 'Wrath of Kings' collection that was released two months ago. Port of Shadows will be my next read after I finish Emperor of Thorns.

kenubrion

I just bought it and the hardbound 'Wrath of Kings' collection that was released two months ago. Port of Shadows will be my next read after I finish Emperor of Thorns.
Thanks for the Wrath of Kings mention, Bill. Had no idea. About time they also are available as an omnibus.

Bill, I may have asked before, but is Heart of What Was Lost a good idea before Witchwood Crown? So expensive for 200 pages! I want to get going on the new book though.

Maark Abbott

Maark, I recall it just getting better all the way through. The relationship between Croaker and the Lady develops quite nicely and her changes were a favorite aspect to me.

Edit to add that I like his Dread Empire series better as it has a lot more happening and a larger cast of sympathetic characters. It's truly a big sprawling epic.
Mmmmm, maybe then...

Bill Door

Told lies with Locke
Thanks for the Wrath of Kings mention, Bill. Had no idea. About time they also are available as an omnibus.

Bill, I may have asked before, but is Heart of What Was Lost a good idea before Witchwood Crown? So expensive for 200 pages! I want to get going on the new book though.
It has actually been out for awhile to buy paperback, but it was only just released hardbound two months ago. And, Yes, you should read Heart of What was Lost. In the new series the Norns become fleshed out characters with their own pov chapters and that pretty much starts with the Heart of What Was Lost. It's basically a epilogue for M,S&T and an prologue for this new series. It honestly pissed me off when I paid 17 bucks for it so I get where you are coming from with that. It's not even about the money, but the principle. A 200 page novel should not be that expensive. I was gonna say just get it on kindle, but even there it's 12 bucks which makes no sense to me. It's barely less expensive than The Witchwood Crown in all formats and that novel is about 3 to 4 times as long. Like I said... it makes no sense.

Last edited: