Glen Cook's Dread Empire

Discussion in 'Fantasy' started by Fatal Rose, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Fatal Rose

Fatal Rose Killed a Balrog

anyone into this series?

The Black Company is one of my all time favorite series. I also really enjoyed his Instrumentalities Of The Night series. Now I'm onto Dream Empire, seems right up my ally. Sadly the first book was largely forgettable. I barely remember any of it. Some things seemed very interesting. I really like the dark medieval fantasy setting.

I'm starting the second book. Anyone else familiar with this series and it's characters? So little info on it online. Feel a little lost.

• Like Like x 1
  2. kenubrion

kenubrion Journeyed there and back again

Rose, I have mentioned many times here that Dread Empire is even better than Black Company. The first three books, collectively in the omnibus A Cruel Wind, are the first books Cook wrote and his improvement is so obvious. The first is rough, the second much better, and by the end of the third you see the Glen Cook who then wrote Black Company. He went back years later and added several books to Dread Empire. The entire epic story is easily one of the best of all yet it's still relatively obscure because of Black Company's fame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Fatal Rose

Awesome! Know of a place where I can a summary of what happened in the first book? Also do you mind if I ask you questions regarding the books?

4. kenubrion

Mind? I love talking about Dread Empire. By the way, are you buying the first three books individually? You can get the omnibus for the same price as each book on its own.

5. Fatal Rose

I already have all the audiobooks.

I'm confused at the start of the second book because I can hardly remember anything about the first.

6. kenubrion

I'm glad you brought this up because I discovered, while looking at Cook's bibliography today, that I had missed his short story collection of the Dread Empire. Sort of expensive at $11.99 for 288 pages but necessary.

7. Fatal Rose

Ok I love the original Dread Empire cover art!!
    Who are these characters on the cover of the original two books?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And can you basically tell me what happened in the first book please to I can properly understand what the heck I'm reading in the second book? Hehe thanks

8. Bill Door

Bill Door Listens to The Unbeliever whine about life

The first book is definitely the weakest of the these first three in the series. They're the only ones I've read so far, but I plan to read the rest eventually.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  9. kenubrion

The guy is the wizard Vol-something and the woman is Nepanthe or whatever, and in the second it's the wizard and Bragi.

In the first V-something the young super wizard, sorcerer rather, comes out of nowhere and kicks butt. No wait, I can't tell you as it's nothing but spoilers if I do. Stormlords ring a bell? Huge strongholds at the tops of mountains? Bragi? Shinsan? Nepanthe or however it's spelled? Trying to jog your memory instead of telling spoilers. Most here haven't read Dread Empire yet.

10. kenubrion

Your forgetting after just listening makes me wonder again about something I've wondered about before. Does listening versus reading contribute to forgetting a book more than when you read it? Anyone?

11. Silvion Night

Silvion Night Sir Readalot Staff Member

That's a very interesting question and perhaps a topic for a new thread? I remember we discussed the rate of forgetting details of a book some time ago. Don't know if this particular question popped up. I'd be interested to hear the opinions of those who listen to audio books a lot (which I don't)

12. Fatal Rose

You can spoil the first book no problem haha. I've finished it. Also can you maybe give a proper context to the start of the second book please? Maybe hide the info in a spoiler box so it's easily avoided for those who haven't read the first book?

***spoiler beliw****

Edit: is Bragi a knight or just a soldier? Also he seems to be settled down with a wifenkw.

13. Sneaky Burrito

Sneaky Burrito Crazy Cat Lady Staff Member

It has been awhile for me, but I don't think he is formally a knight, just a guy who becomes more important in later books. You learn some about his background in some of the later books in terms of publication order. (I think they may have been prequels, if memory serves.)

14. kenubrion

Bragi is the king.

Rose, you wanted me to do the first and now the second. So no, read the books yourself.

15. Sneaky Burrito

That is probably a spoiler...

16. Fatal Rose

Not the second. Just general context.

17. kenubrion

Maybe someone else will assist you. I don't think mentioning Bragi is a spoiler but that's my concern, that anything I tell you will be a spoiler. Sneaky might be willing to do what you want about the second book.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  18. Sneaky Burrito

Mentioning Bragi is not the spoiler. The particular position you listed for him is not where he is at the start of the series, though.

19. Anti_Quated

Anti_Quated Hired Nicomo Cosca, famed soldier of fortune

Better than the Annals?!?!
    I.Must.Read.Now.

I was not unfamiliar with Dread Empire's existence, but have refrained because... I didn't want to go off the deep-end again this year :D
    And I can hardly believe DE is better than Black Company, so I will take your appraisal with guarded optimism.

20. Fatal Rose

The second book is already infinitely better than the first book! It has actual characterization! And it reads more like the BC books. I just wish I retained more from the first book so I could better understand what the heck is going on.