Golden Son - Pierce Brown

Jon Snow

No Power in the Verse can stop me
Staff member
7, while it was still good, it has nothing on Red Rising. This whole book was a roller coaster ride. While they are fun, there is such a thing as too long a ride.

Last edited:

Griffin

Journeyed there and back again
This whole book was a roller coaster ride.
I agree on this.

While they are run, there is such a thing as too long a ride.
And do not on this. Why do you feel the ride was too long?

I loved Golden Son and Red Rising. I was even pleasantly surprised that Golden Son was as good as it was. I'd feared Red Rising would be a one time wonder and quality would drop significantly. How I was wrong (luckily).

Goodreads rating: 5 stars
On a scale of ten: 8,5

Jon Snow

Staff member
I felt that it told the same story over and over again. Darrow kicks but, someone betrays him. Darrow gets out of an impossible situation and then kicks butt, then someone betrays him...then again.

It happens at least 3 times, maybe 4.

Griffin

I felt those betrayals where part of the story. The society of golds is nurtured to strife for the top, for being to ultimate alpha, so backstabbing to get what they want would be something they don't shy away from. On top of that you've got Golds reacting to the actions of Darrow or to what Darrow essentially is, a Red. I feel these three component explain why that happened as much as it did. The fact that Brown uses time jumps condenses the story what may make you feel like Darrow gets betrayed a lot. I do understand your sentiment, but I find it explicable.

One of strongsuits of this book in my opinion is the character depth, I really liked that. What might have been a bit more prominent (but maybe we get to see that more in the last book) is the effects Darrow creates by letting colours rise above their station.

Jon Snow

Staff member
Oh, I"m not disputing that they find out he's a Red and hate him for it. That's fine, but this book was full of betrayals. I also understand that it is a backstabbing society, but I felt like it was the same story told 3-4 times. Like the dude who isn't a gold but helps Augustus. Why write him into the story? Could have just done it differently to achieve the same effect.

I also felt like there were unexplained parts. Where was that huge Obsidian dude and where was Sevro? How convinent that they weren't at Darrow's celebration/adoption thing.

I think the most disappointing aspect of it was that it went away from the sci-fi elements that I like, which is about the human condition. There was a lot of that in Red Rising. Look, not saying it was a bad book. Still gave it a 7, and I think the third book should be great, just not as good as Red Rising.

Griffin

I also felt like there were unexplained parts.
I'm convinced you'll get your explanation in the last book, as we've got explanations for things that happened in Red Rising.
The book does change focus, I don't mind, but I can imagine other do.
And you are right, a 7 is still an A-okay rating.

Ser Pounce

I immensely enjoyed Golden Son. I was hooked from the word go. It took me about 150-200 pages until Red Rising really started to win me over and for me Darrow wasn't nearly as annoying in the second book but maybe that's because I'm used to it now. He had his moments but overall it never really bothered me too much and I liked that some of the characters were a little more fleshed out. Like Griffin mentioned, some questions from Red Rising were answered and I expect the same to happen for Golden Son in Morning Star.

As far as why Servo wasn't at the victory celebration at the end, he was searching for his father, which turns out was actually at the celebration...Also, I like the dynamic of Darrow/Mustang and will be curious how it plays out in the final installment. If this song isn't played when the movies come out, instafail:

As far as ratings go, I guess I'd give it a 4 or 5 on the Goodreads scale. Scale of 10? I think an eight is about right. It's not a masterpiece but I loved reading it and I'll be very excited this time next year in anticipation of the finale. Hopefully it lives up to the first two and if it does, this trilogy will be near the top for recommendations - especially for someone who's looking for a fairly quick but enjoyable read. Nothing against a 700+ novel if it's good but sometimes it's nice to have a 300-500 page story that you can gobble up without too much commitment.

Last edited:

Haven

Became a Faceless Man
7 or 8.

I liked the really mature setting and greater stakes in this book. I think Darrow now understands that he can't exactly go about his plan of total revenge and destruction, since there are some good things about the Gold's society.

The action is better, although the pace was far too fast for my liking.

What I'm trying to say is that I liked the book, but I DESPISED the cliffhanger ending....I didn't know whether to weep or scream.

Sneaky Burrito

Crazy Cat Lady
Staff member
What I'm trying to say is that I liked the book, but I DESPISED the cliffhanger ending....I didn't know whether to weep or scream.
Yeah. I have been pretty down on cliffhangers lately, too, in general. Seem to be encountering quite a lot of them.

Griffin

I've been reading some self-contained books lately, so I don't really mind, especially since Brown releases his books yearly, which is a rather great pace.

btkong

Staff member
A great read, overall, but didn't do it for me like the first. Darrow kept on getting the non-stop heroic treatment the whole way through, which is fine, but it all felt too contrived -- do anything impossible and still somehow survive AND get betrayed over yet again by someone else.

A solid 7.5 maybe just touching 8.

Griffin

strong communist undertones
Darrow and his rebellious group are trying to overthrow the system to create equal possibilities for all the colours in society. As opposed to equal results (communism) they want equal opportunities for all (liberalism), so despite the elements you cite I don't really see the communist undertones at all.

kenubrion

Like Jon, I thought the repeated cycle of capture/escape capture/escape dragged it down and I didn't like it nearly as much as Red Rising. But it's still better than anything else in sci-fi right now except for Sara King's brilliant books.

Hand of Fear

But it's still better than anything else in sci-fi right now except for Sara King's brilliant books.
I think this is the 2nd time I've heard her name mentioned, could you go in to more detail about why she is so good ?

Looking on Amazon (U.K) her books are only available in eBook format.

kenubrion

I think this is the 2nd time I've heard her name mentioned, could you go in to more detail about why she is so good ?

She's a pretty self-confident young woman, and brags that she can write 4-6 books a year. She also makes a very big deal about her writing style, which she calls character based. She concentrates on her characters and then just throws in a kickass background story to let them play in. It really works, look at the reviews for her Legend of Zero trilogy and her newest Fortune's Rising, which is the best sci-fi book I've read in many years. Totally unique storylines and characters that you know as well as your family members, and what cool people these are. Just sample Fortune's Rising or Legend of Zero.
As I do when I've found an author this good, I've now read every word she's published. Last author I did that with was Iain M. Banks. She gives new meaning to the phrase I couldn't put it down. Interesting personally too, lives off the grid in a cabin in the woods in Alaska, a background that she used in her two Alaska books Alaskan Fire and Alaskan Fury. Again simply great books, more fantasy than sci-fi.
The $3.99 she charges for Fortune's Rising is the best bargain you'll ever get if you read the sample and decide to continue.

btkong

Staff member
A bit disappointing for me. NOT as good as the first book.

Red Rising 9/10
Golden Son 7.7/10

I got tired of the author just using dues ex machina to solve every problem. And Darrow getting betrayed over and over 'unexpectedly' from this friend and that friend got old.

Good action, a good plot, likeable characters, a very interesting world. But the author needs to STOP pulling miracles out of the hat to save Darrow over and over.

kenubrion

Since this thread is getting noticed now and I think I'll get an answer, I thought I would ask about reviews of sci-fi books published in 2015. Would that be appropriate for this thread? Seeing Golden Son, which I have commented on above, made we wonder if I can review The Lazarus War: Artefact, which is a 2015 published sci-fi that is just wonderful. If not, no biggie, I got the review out of my system at Amazon. Thanks.

TomTB

Super Moderator
Staff member
Since this thread is getting noticed now and I think I'll get an answer, I thought I would ask about reviews of sci-fi books published in 2015. Would that be appropriate for this thread? Seeing Golden Son, which I have commented on above, made we wonder if I can review The Lazarus War: Artefact, which is a 2015 published sci-fi that is just wonderful. If not, no biggie, I got the review out of my system at Amazon. Thanks.
Might be ok to put your reviews on the BSFB blog? If it's cool with @btkong then @Boreas will be able to post it.